Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 3 weeks later...

https://planninganddevelopment.columbiasc.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/south_main_capital_district_area_plan__july_2017_final_draft__adopted_8_15_17f.pdf This is happening now. I think Main St, south of the capitol building, can be a really excellent place to spend time, and (if they'll put up some top shelf condos, for non-students)  a great place to live. A show at Town Theatre, followed by a couple of ESB's and dinner at Hunter Gatherer, could easily be had, without having to get in a car. You could easily walk down the hill to the CLA to watch a basketball game or take in a concert, or down to California Dreaming for the unhealthiest, but most delicious salad w/ sticky croissant. I am keeping my eye on this project. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw this article today. It focuses on a small space being prepared for local artists to use as a working gallery. It jogged my memory, as a few years back there was talk on this forum about the selling of "air rights" to build towers on top of existing structures, such as this parking garage. I wonder what ever became of that notion? https://www.postandcourier.com/free-times/arts/art-studios-main-street-columbia-sc-creative-community/article_71415bbe-fb3d-11ee-bf2d-cf8effcc9013.html

1 hour ago, victory said:

I saw this article today. It focuses on a small space being prepared for local artists to use as a working gallery. It jogged my memory, as a few years back there was talk on this forum about the selling of "air rights" to build towers on top of existing structures, such as this parking garage. I wonder what ever became of that notion? https://www.postandcourier.com/free-times/arts/art-studios-main-street-columbia-sc-creative-community/article_71415bbe-fb3d-11ee-bf2d-cf8effcc9013.html

That idea never made sense. The foundations of the garages would need major reinforcement to bear the additional load. Not sure how that could even be done, much less done with the garage still useable.  I don't recall seeing or hearing of that even in much bigger cities. Even if it could be done, it would have to be expensive and there is still plenty of vacant land to build on that wouldn't require that expense.   

23 hours ago, vicupstate said:

That idea never made sense. The foundations of the garages would need major reinforcement to bear the additional load. Not sure how that could even be done, much less done with the garage still useable.  I don't recall seeing or hearing of that even in much bigger cities. Even if it could be done, it would have to be expensive and there is still plenty of vacant land to build on that wouldn't require that expense.   

Yeah, it would seem a feet of miraculous engineering. The State ran one or two articles on this, maybe ten to twelve years ago, and there was discussion here. The State even mentioned the aforementioned parking garage, as one such under consideration for that. I'm curious to know if it has been done in NYC or places where one would more logically expect such a thing to be possible.