Upscale Hotels in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think anything would be better than it is now!!! I want them to shut the thing down, gut it and open it in time for next seasons razorback games.

It should be a fayetteville landmark, not an eyesore.

In reality, that's probably what Nock should have done to begin with, but I doubt they were financially able to. It's very hard to do an ongoing renovation of a hotel while keeping it open and not damage the hotel's reputation. A lot of larger hotels do that when they're changing hands (presumably because they need the ongoing revenue to keep the loan for the renovation afloat), but I hate it. It gave people a bad impression of the Cosmo because they advertised themselves as a sleek modern hotel, but people ended up staying in the same old dingy rooms as before. The same thing happened to me in St. Louis- I stayed at the Hyatt Riverfront there (formerly the Adams Mark) and their website was talking about their new renovation, etc. etc. but the rooms you could actually stay in hadn't been touched (nor had the lobby or other facilities) because they were renovating from the top down and those floors were closed. It did not give me the greatest impression of that hotel, although I hear it's very nice now.

The best solution (in my mind) would be to have a temporary hotel "company" in place during the renovation that is under a different name than what you intend to re-launch the hotel as. I know it's complicated to do, but shouldn't be impossible, and then gives you the opportunity to renovate and have a grand opening as the "new" hotel without damaging the new name in the process. The logistics would be tricky, but if you're not able to close it down completely to renovate, you're either going to have to rebuild your reputation later or launch as a new name with a clean slate.

• 7 months later...

Rumour is there's a contract on the Cosmo with a closing date in September! Lets hope it goes through!

If the group that i heard has the property under contract actually closes on the property, it will be a game changer for that area and for downtown. But, you never know what will happen between now and September.

Thought I'd also post some of this over onto this topic.

Here we go again! Another hotel proposed for Dickson Street. This time it's a 6 story (I think that is the max height allowed) boutique type hotel in the NE corner of the Walton Arts Center parking lot. So many hotels have been proposed and never developed over the past few years downtown so I wonder if this one will break that trend. The building will only take up about 40 parking spaces but I doubt that will include parking. Hopefully this will actually get the city going on building a parking deck on the existing lot with the proposed expansion of the WAC.

Here is more information from NWAOnline: Dickson Hotel

Here we go again! Another hotel proposed for Dickson Street. This time it's a 6 story (I think that is the max height allowed) boutique type hotel in the NE corner of the Walton Arts Center parking lot. So many hotels have been proposed and never developed over the past few years downtown so I wonder if this one will break that trend. The building will only take up about 40 parking spaces but I doubt that will include parking. Hopefully this will actually get the city going on building a parking deck on the existing lot with the proposed expansion of the WAC.

I think this is a great idea. Fayetteville has a shortage of nice hotel rooms and the Dickson street location with its proximity to all the entertainment, the square, and the U of A is a prime location for a higher end hotel. I hope the city and the developers come to an agreement and this hotel becomes a reality. It could be the spark needed to get the parking garage built, make the Cosmopolitan renovate to compete, and help build the strength of the Dickson Street entertainment district when the momentum is all headed to the northern cities right now. I don't see a downside to this project, but it would be nice if it was a little bigger :D .

This is exciting news and different than the proposals that occurred during the boom years. Without more details is is hard to say if it is likely to happen but it is clear that the market is there for a small upper tier hotel on Dickson. Since this is being billed as a hotel only and not a mixed use development it may be more likely to happen- mixed use requires more cards to fall in place to work. This is something the city needs to get behind and try to make happen.

They could propose it as a conditional use and build a taller building- it would just require city council approval.

This is exciting news and I look forward to hearing more details as to how it fits in with the WAC expansion and parking deck plans. It is clear that there is a market for a small midrange or upper tier hotel on Dickson and this may be the plan that works. The fact that it is billed as a hotel only development may help since a mixed use plan like so many earlier proposals would be more complicated to make feasible. If this a viable plan the city should do what it can to make it happen.

The six story limit can be overcome with a conditional use permit approved by the city council. A taller building would help conserve the limited space available for development in that area and increase density so that public transit options are more feasible.

That's odd- when I made my first post the site displayed a message that the server didn't accept it and it didn't appear when I went back later- now it is there. Mith-it is fine if yu delete the first one- they say the same things.

Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing more details on this. I'm curious to see if we're talking about a smaller type boutique hotel, or if the city might go for something a bit bigger. As zman mentioned, the city could give approval for something above six stories. I'm not going to get my hopes up for a big project. But even a small boutique hotel would be a good addition for that area. Of course we're also going to need a parking deck going as well before something like this happens. Maybe we can hope the overall economy will be in better shape by the time this comes about.

Yeah I'm looking forward to hearing more details on this. I'm curious to see if we're talking about a smaller type boutique hotel, or if the city might go for something a bit bigger. As zman mentioned, the city could give approval for something above six stories. I'm not going to get my hopes up for a big project. But even a small boutique hotel would be a good addition for that area. Of course we're also going to need a parking deck going as well before something like this happens. Maybe we can hope the overall economy will be in better shape by the time this comes about.

I cannot read the article so I don't know who the developer is. Was that mentioned? If not, it may just be someone in city government's "idea" to put a hotel there, which makes this about as likely as a good rainstorm around these parts!

M

I think this is fantastic news. Between this and a remodelled Cosmo there would be over 300 hotel rooms downtown. Together it would make a huge economic impact on the entire area. I'm not sure however if the N E corner of that lot is a good location. I know they want a Dickson street adress but that entire end of that lot is at least thirty or forty feet of land fill and there are springs all over it. Hopefully they won't find any cave dwelling blind albino salamanders in the area!

"Jordan said he and city staff members have been in talks for weeks with John Davidson, a representative of Monroe Capital, about plans for a boutique hotel that could be up to six stories tall and include as many as 75 rooms."

Monroe Capital is the same group that built the red brick condos just south of Dickson Street Liquor and the parking lot behind the Bakery Building. They have built several smaller office developments in NW Arkansas.

Monroe Capital is the same group that built the red brick condos just south of Dickson Street Liquor and the parking lot behind the Bakery Building. They have built several smaller office developments in NW Arkansas.

Cool, thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Good info. I hope this project actually gets built. We need it. I do hope, however, that they get some competent design help on the hotel. Those condos are not good, in my opinion.

Mark

Thanks. Good info. I hope this project actually gets built. We need it. I do hope, however, that they get some competent design help on the hotel. Those condos are not good, in my opinion.

Mark

But it would fit right in to the design of the WAC. :lol:

But it would fit right in to the design of the WAC. :lol:

Good point. The WAC is no architectural masterpiece. It looks like it was designed by John Q. Hammonds' architects. But there is no reason to build condos with large wall expanses that don't have windows (other than to just build cheap!). In fact, those could not be built like that now in the Overlay District as their design review mandates a certain percentage off window area to wall area....

We need good projects downtown. Good design and sound economic underpinnings.

M

It sounds like the "aginners" are already out in force slamming the idea of a hotel at that location. People who have no idea what is planned or what the pros and cons are have already decided it is bad- of course, if it were a million dollar gift with no obligation to the city someone would be against it. Hopefully the when the details are put forth and the council has a clear idea this will move forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Cosmo is very close to being purchased for a huge redevelopment project. The Alley's are well known in Arkansas for all their development work.

Yeah it's still very early and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much too early. But when I first heard about this all I could think about is that it's about time. Sounds like Thrash and Alley are looking to close sometime in September and are expecting to put $15 Mil into the project including renovations. The renovation is expected to be long and the hotel will likely have to close for a while. But plans are to have it all done by fall of 2012. Both of the owners have experience in hotels. Sounds like the plans are for about 200 standard rooms with around a dozen suites. A revamped lobby, full service restaurant and 15,000 sq ft of meeting space. Also sounds like they'll be renaming the hotel as well.

They really don't have any choice when it comes to changing the name. Nock & company and ANB Ventures have destroyed the Cosmo's reputation from the quests and the vendors standpoint. I've heard Flick-Mars out of Dallas is doing the design work.

I agree, at this point you pretty much have to change the name. I don't have anything against the name itself. But they really need to establish itself under a different name. So far all the news sounds good. Fayetteville has had pretty bad luck when it comes to hotels in the recent past. Hopefully things actually work out this time.

This is great news. They sound like people who know what they are doing and have the resources to do it. Wonder if they plan on keeping it a separate brand or going with a national chain? It would be interesting to see it come full circle and become a Hilton again. I think that would be good for business, also.

Back in the 90's Hilton decided that all thier hotels with fewer than 300 rooms would become Hilton Gardens and they gave franchises with fewer than 300 rooms the option of becoming Gardens or leaving the Hilton family. That's why they changed to Radisson in 2001. At 250 rooms they can't be a Hilton and Fayetteville doesn't have a population large enough to allow two Garden Inns so Hilton is out.

Archived