Upscale Hotels in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

Yeah it's still very early and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much too early. But when I first heard about this all I could think about is that it's about time. Sounds like Thrash and Alley are looking to close sometime in September and are expecting to put $15 Mil into the project including renovations. The renovation is expected to be long and the hotel will likely have to close for a while. But plans are to have it all done by fall of 2012. Both of the owners have experience in hotels. Sounds like the plans are for about 200 standard rooms with around a dozen suites. A revamped lobby, full service restaurant and 15,000 sq ft of meeting space. Also sounds like they'll be renaming the hotel as well.

This is really good news as far as I am concerned. It sounds like we have some good developers and they will have enough money to do this hotel up right. We need a good HOTEL here in town. That means they have a good bar and restaurant, nice rooms, and service. We put up a lot of people and our options have been Carnall Hall or the Dickson Street Inn (essentially a B&B of sorts). This is great. I don't see it as a Hilton again (don't think Hiltons are that great, honestly--and I travel a lot), but a national chain may be helpful to meeting certain minimum standards and keeping the rooms full.

Mark

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Euan McGlashan is involved in this project it doesn't matter if it's a national chain or not! He's run 2 and 3 star Michelin properties and it's going to be a world class hotel.

Great to hear! I also hadn't even considered whether it might become part of a national chain or not. But yeah I've got to say everything we're hearing so far is great.

Great to hear! I also hadn't even considered whether it might become part of a national chain or not. But yeah I've got to say everything we're hearing so far is great.

There's still alot of time between now and closing on this deal! I hope they pull it off! Fayetteville really needs this to happen.

There was also some talk about a Crowne Plaza flag but Crowne requires central heat and air and the Cosmo has wall units. I'm sure central air could be added but I would think the cost would be prohibitive. With that location and the fact that they will be the only true full service four star hotel in Fayetteville I don't think it really needs a flag. They could stay independant and join Marriotts Autograph collection which would give them the benefit of a world wide reservation system and awards program and have the best of both worlds.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been told by several people that the Cosmo will close for remodeling Sunday 11/13 after the football crowd checks out and will remain closed throughout the remodel. The employees were given ten days notification.

Interesting. This hasn't been brought up before has it? I don't ever recall hearing about the Cosmo closing for a while for the remodel. I'm certainly not complaining about it. It's probably the best way to go about a 'real' remodel.

Interesting. This hasn't been brought up before has it? I don't ever recall hearing about the Cosmo closing for a while for the remodel. I'm certainly not complaining about it. It's probably the best way to go about a 'real' remodel.

It was talked about several years ago and at the time I disagreed but now I don't see any other way. The hotels reputation is so bad the new owners must want a complete separatuon between old and new.

It was talked about several years ago and at the time I disagreed but now I don't see any other way. The hotels reputation is so bad the new owners must want a complete separatuon between old and new.

It really helps perception when you can open as an "all new" or rejuvenated, or whatever word hotel instead of staying open as a hotel with a "remodel in progress". I've stayed at several hotels from nice chains that were "remodel in progress" hotels and I have vowed never to do it again. There's just no way for the hotel to feel even as nice as it did before the remodel while all the work and mess is going on, and it can be a real let down to come into a hotel (a Hyatt in the instance I'm thinking of) with a very nicely redone lobby and find out your room is the same old crap they haven't worked on yet. With the Cosmo's reputation having fallen out of favor on top of the general unpleasantness of a remodel to guests, I think they are making the smart move here. It's more expensive in some ways since you aren't generating any revenue while it is closed down for a remodel, but if they do it right it should pay off for them in the long run.

Maybe i am behind, but I didn't even know anything was going on at the cosmo. This is all news to me. I haven't seen any news release or anything like that. Does anyone know the plans? I would love for the developer to come out with the plans and get some excitement going for the project! This project, IMO, is way more important than Underwood or The Dickson. Not that the Dickson inst important, but this is a huge project and this is a make or break for this hotel. I don't think i can withstand anymore neglect. It really needs to be top notch. I pray they update the exterior.

All I can say is its about time Fayetteville had a 3 to 4 star full service hotel!

Maybe i am behind, but I didn't even know anything was going on at the cosmo. This is all news to me. I haven't seen any news release or anything like that. Does anyone know the plans? I would love for the developer to come out with the plans and get some excitement going for the project! This project, IMO, is way more important than Underwood or The Dickson. Not that the Dickson inst important, but this is a huge project and this is a make or break for this hotel. I don't think i can withstand anymore neglect. It really needs to be top notch. I pray they update the exterior.

All I can say is its about time Fayetteville had a 3 to 4 star full service hotel!

Indeed. This was in the paper a while back. Original article said hotel would be closed for a year. We desperately need a real hotel in this town!

M

Indeed. This was in the paper a while back. Original article said hotel would be closed for a year. We desperately need a real hotel in this town!

M

I guess I somehow missed that part about it possibly being closed for a year. But I do agree with everyone in that it's probably the best way to handle the renovation. It's otherwise too hard to do a proper renovation if you're continuing to remain open or you don't really do as much as you should have to try to remain open. And I of course totally agree with the notion that it's about time Fayetteville was better represented on the hotel front.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently when it re-opens the name of the former Cosmo will be The Chancellor. A name that ties into the university ties the city has. Sounds like the hotel was purchased for around $4 Mil, they're spending around $7 MIl for a 'facelift' for the hotel. After new furnishings and equipment total costs is expected to be around $20 Mil.

Apparently when it re-opens the name of the former Cosmo will be The Chancellor. A name that ties into the university ties the city has. Sounds like the hotel was purchased for around $4 Mil, they're spending around $7 MIl for a 'facelift' for the hotel. After new furnishings and equipment total costs is expected to be around $20 Mil.

Considering it sold for an est.. $16 million in 2006 that was quite a bargain- no wonder they jumped at it.

• 7 months later...

Archived