Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

I was just making the point that you can't use the Honors College in a meaningful way to evaluate the entire university when it represents only 10% of the students. Using that argument Central High would be far and away the best high school in the state. Almost all of the entering students from UAMS from the UA each year did not come from the Honors College, I know that much. I think the donations were great but I wish they had been used to better the university across the board. I thought the B-school donations by the Waltons were one of the best things that ever happened to the university.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to Razorback recruitment news. The same source that told me about the news about Cleveland changing his mind and coming here has also said he felt pretty good about the chances about Mustain and Williams coming here. He even said he felt very good about the chances of Mustain coming here. We'll have to see though, apparently Vince Young has officially said he will enter the NFL draft. I know Texas was on Mustain's list so not sure if this will have any effect on his decision.

Back to Razorback recruitment news. The same source that told me about the news about Cleveland changing his mind and coming here has also said he felt pretty good about the chances about Mustain and Williams coming here. He even said he felt very good about the chances of Mustain coming here. We'll have to see though, apparently Vince Young has officially said he will enter the NFL draft. I know Texas was on Mustain's list so not sure if this will have any effect on his decision.

Mustain made some very controversial comments in a discussion with the New York Times. He said that he changed his mind about coming to Arkansas after he had the opportunity to talk with several current players and some of the information he discovered caused him to change his mind.

That wasn't at all very complimentary of Nutt.

Alex Mortenson's going to Georgia Southern, looks like Johnson will stay. If we don't get Mustain we're going to be very short on QBs next season.

Mustain made some very controversial comments in a discussion with the New York Times. He said that he changed his mind about coming to Arkansas after he had the opportunity to talk with several current players and some of the information he discovered caused him to change his mind.

That wasn't at all very complimentary of Nutt.

Alex Mortenson's going to Georgia Southern, looks like Johnson will stay. If we don't get Mustain we're going to be very short on QBs next season.

Yeah I heard about that. I'm wondering if Mustain even knows what he wants because he's sending out a lot of mixed signals. Who knows where he'll end up.

Van Horn announced that Baum Stadium will be expanded to 10,000 chairback seats by 2007, possibly 12,000 by 2008 when Texas plays a series in Fayetteville which would easily make it the nation's largest college stadium. There will be considerable further renovation and addition of luxury boxes to what is already one of the nation's top 3 stadia and some consider it THE best.

I haven't seen a report on this from the media. Did you get this from Woopig.net, or some other source?

Believe it or not, news not about Mitch Mustain! :D Looks like the U of A is looking to add another women's sport with equistrian or lacrosse looking as possibilities. Looks like the SEC might also be looking into some of these as well. Here's an article from Arkansas Business about it.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/news/artic...4C%7D&aid=42971

Looks like the Razorback football schedule is being rearranged for next season. The Southern Cal game is being moved up to the very first game so it can be shown on Espn. I haven't heard how this will effect the rest of the games and season.

There was an article in today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette talking about the future McDonnell Field. The facility is supposed to be ready for the SEC Championships in mid May. A lot sooner than I thought. They wanted a field not just good enough for SEC meets but regional, national meets and even world class meets as well. McDonnell even said hosting some US Olympic trials was a goal.

It's not official yet. But at 5:30 Damian Williams will hold a press conference to announce his intentions. Sources say he's already decomitted to Florida and he's also coming back to play for the Razorbacks. So looks like we might end up with 4 of the Springdale 5 here. :D

It's not official yet. But at 5:30 Damian Williams will hold a press conference to announce his intentions. Sources say he's already decomitted to Florida and he's also coming back to play for the Razorbacks. So looks like we might end up with 4 of the Springdale 5 here. :D

It happened just like that. One of the regular posters with inside sources called this one more than two mos ago. The same guy called Nolan's firing when nobody else believed it. I'm thrilled with 4/5, particularly since we got the two we REALLY wanted, both Mustain and Williams are Rivals Top 100 guys.

It happened just like that. One of the regular posters with inside sources called this one more than two mos ago. The same guy called Nolan's firing when nobody else believed it. I'm thrilled with 4/5, particularly since we got the two we REALLY wanted, both Mustain and Williams are Rivals Top 100 guys.

Yeah I had also heard good things about him coming back but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I think I also heard about another WR that decommited to LSU and is now commited to the Razorbacks. I've heard Williams listed as the #9 receiver in the nation. Certainly looking like Nutt's best recruiting year. Although it certainly helps when a lot of the guys are local products.

Hit that line, Hit that line, Keep on going,

Move that ball right down the field.

Give a cheer, Rah! Rah!

Never fear, Rah Rah

Arkansas will never yield.

On your toes Razorbacks to the finish.

Carry on with all your might.

For it's A-A-A-R-K-A-N-S-A-S for Arkansas,

Fight, Fight, Fi-i-ight.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Yeah I had also heard good things about him coming back but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I think I also heard about another WR that decommited to LSU and is now commited to the Razorbacks. I've heard Williams listed as the #9 receiver in the nation. Certainly looking like Nutt's best recruiting year. Although it certainly helps when a lot of the guys are local products.

I wouldn't say it's Nutt's best recruiting year, I think the year he signed Brashears and Cobbs was no doubt better. Our out of state pool is a little weak this year. I do think if we lost 4/5 from Springdale pressure would've been that much more on Nutt. He's on the hot seat next year as is.

I think Stan Heath is in trouble. I really like the guy, he's classy and personable and a good recruiter. Our players are stumped by zones and seem unmotivated, though, and I wonder how much longer he'll be here.

Van Horn's squad could compete for an SEC title and CWS this year. At least we have that to look forward to.

I think Stan Heath is in trouble. I really like the guy, he's classy and personable and a good recruiter. Our players are stumped by zones and seem unmotivated, though, and I wonder how much longer he'll be here.

Van Horn's squad could compete for an SEC title and CWS this year. At least we have that to look forward to.

Yeah I agree about Heath too. He's a class act but he's just doesn't seem to be able to get the job done. I've really hoped he be able to turn it around but so far it looks like the usual.

Ugh....it almost makes me want to go to U of A. I have a couple of friends who are choosing to go to U of A on scholarship......think of how much fun they'll have!

Grrrr......

That's right Johnny, think of all the fun. Feel the peer pressure. The U of A was good enough for four of the Springdale Five, isn't that good enough for you? :lol:

Yeah I agree about Heath too. He's a class act but he's just doesn't seem to be able to get the job done. I've really hoped he be able to turn it around but so far it looks like the usual.

That's right Johnny, think of all the fun. Feel the peer pressure. The U of A was good enough for four of the Springdale Five, isn't that good enough for you? :lol:

Letters of intent are coming in, we've got virtually all of the big recruits inked. OL Dominguez chose us over FSU and LB Powers kept us over Bama, these were two guys a lot of people thought we would lose. The Springdale 4 all have letters of intent signed.

Letters of intent are coming in, we've got virtually all of the big recruits inked. OL Dominguez chose us over FSU and LB Powers kept us over Bama, these were two guys a lot of people thought we would lose. The Springdale 4 all have letters of intent signed.

Thanks for the update Aporkalypse. At least there's some good news while our basketball team keeps having the same problems it has the past couple of years. That and looks like we can look forward to baseball as well. Does anyone have anymore info on the expansion of Baum? Looks like LSU is going to be building a new baseball stadium. I'm not sure but I think it could be ready in a couple of years.

Archived