Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

Last night in Little Rock Bryant beat Benton at War Memorial Stadium. They played before 22,146 which was one of the largest crowds in Arkansas high school football history. Not bad for a Tuesday night.

Jeez, that's pretty big. The crowds at some of the rivalries up where I live tend to be 10,000, but that's because the stadium's are limited, and the games sell out well before a week in advance. If say Bentonville vs. Rogers or Ft. Smith Northside vs. Ft. Smith Southside played in a stadium the size of War Memorial, I would expect much higher attendance.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez, that's pretty big. The crowds at some of the rivalries up where I live tend to be 10,000, but that's because the stadium's are limited, and the games sell out well before a week in advance. If say Bentonville vs. Rogers or Ft. Smith Northside vs. Ft. Smith Southside played in a stadium the size of War Memorial, I would expect much higher attendance.

I think if Springdale had had a bigger stadium they also could have drawn some bigger crowds as well.

I wonder why they don't play an occasional high school game in RRS. Springdale vs Fayetteville might draw some large crowds.

Really? I guess the practice field at the UofA just wouldn't do then?

It's common for teams to do this for nonconference games so far away, to leave early and pick a nearby town so they hype of the game doesn't detract from their preparations. Students heckling them at the UA might not allow that. :D

Things certainly are hyped up for the game here in Fayetteville. I've even seen some of the local tv sports reporters mentioning they've never seen such a buildup like this. I'd consider that pretty impressive considering it wasn't that long ago that we had Texas up here. Certainly not trying to get anyone's hopes up but even ESPN seems to have a few that think that USC can be upset this weekend.

A few? Corso and Holtz picked us to win-- they're never wrong! Confused and senile perhaps... but wrong, never!

BTW, the traffic from LR to Fayetteville was terrible. Never have seen it that bad-- must be Labor Day in combo with game day traffic.

I saw those new bleachers people have been talking about-- that's just crazy. Imagine doing the hog call on the top row... one slip + no handrails = 20 story drop. GHG

A few? Corso and Holtz picked us to win-- they're never wrong! Confused and senile perhaps... but wrong, never!

BTW, the traffic from LR to Fayetteville was terrible. Never have seen it that bad-- must be Labor Day in combo with game day traffic.

I saw those new bleachers people have been talking about-- that's just crazy. Imagine doing the hog call on the top row... one slip + no handrails = 20 story drop. GHG

I just drove from Fayetteville to Rogers. Traffic was starting to clutter up on 540. I expect hell all day.

Corso's always wrong. I used to hope he would predict against us. Clucko the chicken does better at picking games. I wish nobody was picking us to win, I feel like our best bet is to sneak up on them. without McFadden healthy nor an established starting QB it's just going to be tough.

This game may be hyped, but not nearly as much as the Texas game was. That's probably because nobody expects us to win this one. With Matt Jones we all felt like anything was possible, and it nearly happened twice.

Lou Holtz predicted Arkansas to win as well.

No offense, but some people need to think with their minds, not their hearts.

I think it's more of a "no confidence" vote for USC than a vote for us.

However, we have been pegged by a lot of people as a dark horse candidate in the SEC. We still may well be once we have a healthy McFadden and our QB situation has been settled.

Traffic seemed to be pretty bad here in Fayetteville on Friday and I don't think many people had come in that early for the game. But anyway some of the sports guys up here have said they haven't ever seen it like this. I have to assume their even talking about the Texas game. That does surprise me. As far as Arkansas winning, it's certainly not likely but not impossible either. I think this is a very similar situation like it was against Texas. When we first played them again I don't think they were expecting Arkansas to come out and give 110% like that. To them it was just another game. I do think this game will mean more to the Razorbacks than the Trojans and I think the Razorbacks do have something to prove after last years humiliating loss. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will translate into a win.

Traffic seemed to be pretty bad here in Fayetteville on Friday and I don't think many people had come in that early for the game. But anyway some of the sports guys up here have said they haven't ever seen it like this. I have to assume their even talking about the Texas game. That does surprise me. As far as Arkansas winning, it's certainly not likely but not impossible either. I think this is a very similar situation like it was against Texas. When we first played them again I don't think they were expecting Arkansas to come out and give 110% like that. To them it was just another game. I do think this game will mean more to the Razorbacks than the Trojans and I think the Razorbacks do have something to prove after last years humiliating loss. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will translate into a win.

I just wish this game was in 3 or 4 weeks instead of now.

I just got back from the game. I was pretty dissapointed that Houston Nutt didn't place Mustain in, until the very end.

I was disappointed for that reason but for a host of others as well. Johnson didn't play that bad, we had a huge problem with turnovers and receivers dropping balls. He was pretty accurate all night save the INT.

It wasn't as bad as the score will look to everyone else.

They mentioned on ESPN that Robert Johnson and Dick didn't speak to Mustain after the TD or after the INT. Sounds like we're in for a nasty QB battle.

I was disappointed for that reason but for a host of others as well. Johnson didn't play that bad, we had a huge problem with turnovers and receivers dropping balls. He was pretty accurate all night save the INT.

It wasn't as bad as the score will look to everyone else.

They mentioned on ESPN that Robert Johnson and Dick didn't speak to Mustain after the TD or after the INT. Sounds like we're in for a nasty QB battle.

Yeah it really looked like we weren't ready to run this offense just yet. The dropped passes and all the turnovers. Yeah the QB situation is going to be lingering too. I feel for Johnson and Dick in a way. All the fans want Mustain and they want him to play now. I think Johnson did okay to be honest. Although I would still question him being the starter. I certainly wasn't impressed with him at all last year. But I do think Mustain will be the one that can run this offense. His biggest problem will be getting used to the college game and the speed of the players in it as opposed to high school.

Yeah it really looked like we weren't ready to run this offense just yet. The dropped passes and all the turnovers. Yeah the QB situation is going to be lingering too. I feel for Johnson and Dick in a way. All the fans want Mustain and they want him to play now. I think Johnson did okay to be honest. Although I would still question him being the starter. I certainly wasn't impressed with him at all last year. But I do think Mustain will be the one that can run this offense. His biggest problem will be getting used to the college game and the speed of the players in it as opposed to high school.

Mustain will get his chance by starting against Utah State. Nutt's moving Johnson to WR, which seems a bit foolish to me as depth at QB is pretty important and that leaves us only with an injured Casey Dick and walk-on Clark Irwin behind Mustain.

Mustain will get his chance by starting against Utah State. Nutt's moving Johnson to WR, which seems a bit foolish to me as depth at QB is pretty important and that leaves us only with an injured Casey Dick and walk-on Clark Irwin behind Mustain.

Yeah that does seem odd. I didn't think we were short on receievers either. I don't know if this is some measure to keep Johnson from leaving the team or what.

Yeah that does seem odd. I didn't think we were short on receievers either. I don't know if this is some measure to keep Johnson from leaving the team or what.

Rumor is he asked to be moved to receiver. So, fair enough.

I think we are short on quality receivers. Williams looks like the real deal but Monk isn't catching the ball and we a lot of busts - Chris Baker particularly. Cedric Washington's been hurt but is decent. Logan transferred when he got leapfrogged by everyone else.

Don't forget about Crawford-- a lot of good things have been said about him in fall practice. I'm not myself worried about WR-- I think Monk's drops were a bizzaro fluke. I hope.

RJ's announced move to WR, I agree, is odd at first. But keep in mind that's in name only-- as long as either MM or Dick is healthy, that's alright. If one is injured, I don't see why HDN wouldn't then give RJ some practice time and preperation as back-up if needed. (Like with Thompson at OU-- after Bomar was booted, Thompson was moved back from WR to QB). So the more I think about it, it does seem to make more sense than not.

WR designation means that's where he will focus himself, but if needed can go back to QB if depth is short.

Archived