Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

There is that small chance he might come back. As I said earlier he hasn't signed with an agent. If it doesn't look like he'll go particularly high in the draft he has till late June and he can come back. He'll probavly have to have some bad tryout with teams for that to happen.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is that small chance he might come back. As I said earlier he hasn't signed with an agent. If it doesn't look like he'll go particularly high in the draft he has till late June and he can come back. He'll probavly have to have some bad tryout with teams for that to happen.

Unless his funny shot hurts him he'll be a lottery pick (and I don't think it will). Like Joe Johnson, he has the skills and frame to really be a big-time player at the next level. His pro numbers will dwarf his college ones.

• 3 weeks later...

The Continental Baseball League sets sights on Arkansas. The newly formed minor league is looking at Jonesboro and Texarkana as possible locations for new teams. The league is looking to field teams in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.

The Continental Baseball League sets sights on Arkansas. The newly formed minor league is looking at Jonesboro and Texarkana as possible locations for new teams. The league is looking to field teams in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.

Interesting. I suppose if the trying to get a Texas League team up here in NWA falls through this would probably be the next likely option.

Arkansas sweeps Auburn to finish 2nd in the West and clinches a regional site. Nick Schmidt was national pitcher of the week and SEC player of the week.

Arkansas led the nation in actual attendance, finished 2nd to LSU in tickets sold, and still holds the record for attendance at a regional from a couple of years ago.

Things are starting to get exciting.

Arkansas sweeps Auburn to finish 2nd in the West and clinches a regional site. Nick Schmidt was national pitcher of the week and SEC player of the week.

Arkansas led the nation in actual attendance, finished 2nd to LSU in tickets sold, and still holds the record for attendance at a regional from a couple of years ago.

Things are starting to get exciting.

Yeah after being a bit behind in average attendance compared to last year big attendance at the end helped push Arkansas above last season's total and average. LSU seems to have a lot more home games than Arkansas from what I've seen in the last several years. Arkansas also has 5 of the top ten home games in attendance in the SEC this year. LSU and Mississippi State have the other five and are the other big two in attendance in the SEC.

Wellthe Razorback baseball team will be hosting a regional despite the letdown in the SEC tournament. Interestingly enough I think Arkansas is the only team hosting that's not a number one seed in their regional. Arkansas apparently set some NCAA regional attendance figures a couple of years ago so that really helped us out there.

Wellthe Razorback baseball team will be hosting a regional despite the letdown in the SEC tournament. Interestingly enough I think Arkansas is the only team hosting that's not a number one seed in their regional. Arkansas apparently set some NCAA regional attendance figures a couple of years ago so that really helped us out there.

It is very dubious that OSU should be the #1 seed in our regional. Of note, #3 seed ORU beat OSU twice and us once.

On other news, Tiger Woods played the Alotian Club in Little Rock yesterday.

It is very dubious that OSU should be the #1 seed in our regional. Of note, #3 seed ORU beat OSU twice and us once.

On other news, Tiger Woods played the Alotian Club in Little Rock yesterday.

Yeah here's an article mentioning it in case anyone is interested.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2462993

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like Ronnie Brewer is now with the Utah Jazz, he was picked 14th in the first round.

It would have been interesting if Carl Malone was still there. Although he isn't from Arkansas he does own a ranch in southwest Arkansas.

• 3 weeks later...

In Sunday's Arkansas Democrat Gazette they had and article on football being a year round activity at some high schools in the state. They are even sending teams out of state for football camps during the summer. Too bad the local school districts don't spend as much time, money and energy on math and science. One of the coaches commented that if they didn't do it they would be left behind when the season started.

I thought it was kind of interesting to read about Corliss Williamson interning at the development group Irwin and Co in Little Rock in preparation for his retirement. His failed Legends clothing store and line made him realize that the real money was in owning the shopping centers, not opening stores in them. He's working hard on becoming a smart investor and plans on returning to Little Rock with his wife and 3 children when he finishes his NBA career, which seems to be winding down a bit. He plans on investing in Central and NW Arkansas real estate.

It also mentioned he and Scotty Thurman is also in LR and they are planning to build a 100-unit apartment complex on Barrow Road in Little Rock together. Scotty's wife is a Little Rock physician.

On the flip side, former Arkansas and all-pro Broncos safety Steve Atwater is suing the NFL along with some other NFL players when an investment advisor recommended by the league stole most of his money.

Former Hog Joe Kleine and Former all-pro TE Keith Jackson have given a lot to the LR community and it's great to see that Corliss is looking to do the same. Current middleweight champ Jermain Taylor also deserves props for what he has done and is doing for the community.

I thought it was kind of interesting to read about Corliss Williamson interning at the development group Irwin and Co in Little Rock in preparation for his retirement. His failed Legends clothing store and line made him realize that the real money was in owning the shopping centers, not opening stores in them. He's working hard on becoming a smart investor and plans on returning to Little Rock with his wife and 3 children when he finishes his NBA career, which seems to be winding down a bit. He plans on investing in Central and NW Arkansas real estate.

It also mentioned he and Scotty Thurman is also in LR and they are planning to build a 100-unit apartment complex on Barrow Road in Little Rock together. Scotty's wife is a Little Rock physician.

On the flip side, former Arkansas and all-pro Broncos safety Steve Atwater is suing the NFL along with some other NFL players when an investment advisor recommended by the league stole most of his money.

Former Hog Joe Kleine and Former all-pro TE Keith Jackson have given a lot to the LR community and it's great to see that Corliss is looking to do the same. Current middleweight champ Jermain Taylor also deserves props for what he has done and is doing for the community.

I also heard a little about Corliss. I'm wondering if as the NWA metro continues to grow and that NWA also begins getting more sports if more former Razorbacks will stay there. Seems like most that stay in Arkansas gravitate towards Little Rock.

I also heard a little about Corliss. I'm wondering if as the NWA metro continues to grow and that NWA also begins getting more sports if more former Razorbacks will stay there. Seems like most that stay in Arkansas gravitate towards Little Rock.

There are a lot of reasons for that, I think. The in-staters like Corliss, Jerry Jones, and Sidney Moncrief are just more likely to have connections there. Part of the reason former black players don't stay, though, has to be the lack of African-Americans in NWA. Is that really changing that much?

Some have always stayed, though. Look at Jim Lindsay and Ronnie Brewer.

There are a lot of reasons for that, I think. The in-staters like Corliss, Jerry Jones, and Sidney Moncrief are just more likely to have connections there. Part of the reason former black players don't stay, though, has to be the lack of African-Americans in NWA. Is that really changing that much?

Some have always stayed, though. Look at Jim Lindsay and Ronnie Brewer.

Oh yes a few do stay and I have thought the fact that there isn't much of an Afro-American community here hasn't helped either. Things are changing. But when you started off with such a huge Caucasian percentage in the first place it's going to take a while before there's a sizeable community of minorities in many instances. But yes things are changing. In some ways it's been harder for me to notice because I live in Fayetteville where I see so many foreign students at the university. But it does sound like Benton County has really been diversifying it's populace with many people going there to work for Wal-mart.

^

Bentonville and Rogers are becoming more diverese each and every day. It's not going to be something that happens over night, but in a matter of years (10+) expect to see the African American Population in Benton County somewhere around (1-2%) [i know that doesn't sound like a lot].

Yeah at first he wasn't being portrayed very well when the news first came out. But now I've heard he was supposedly trying to keep his step brother's car from being stolen. But anyway he's vowed that he will be ready to play for the USC game.

Yeah at first he wasn't being portrayed very well when the news first came out. But now I've heard he was supposedly trying to keep his step brother's car from being stolen. But anyway he's vowed that he will be ready to play for the USC game.

He can vow all he want but I'm worried. He can try to play but if he's not able put all of his weight on that foot comfortably he won't help on the field.

He NEVER should've been at a place like that anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived