Sports in Arkansas

Mith242

Yeah Springdale is a pretty scary team, seeing so much talent like that all at one time. One poll I saw recently moved them up to number 3 and they had some first place votes also. I've also heard a bit about LR Catholic. One of my coworkers also went there. I think their only loss was to Fayetteville correct? If Fayetteville hadn't have that bad game against FS Northside they'd probably still be number 3 in the state. Does anyone know much about West Memphis? I don't get to hear much about them on this side of the state. They've been plugging along at number 2 most of this season. But it's weird to see the 5A West so talented. I think Hooten's said that Rogers would easily be a playoff team in any other conference in the state.

The AAAAA-West is usually MORE talented. This year it's Springdale and then everyone else. For a while the #5 team in the West was nearly a top 10 team. The Ft Smith teams were a big reason for this, though, and both are down.

A lot of rankings have Warren, which is not AAAAA, ranked #2 overall. West Memphis is up there as well.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The AAAAA-West is usually MORE talented. This year it's Springdale and then everyone else. For a while the #5 team in the West was nearly a top 10 team. The Ft Smith teams were a big reason for this, though, and both are down.

A lot of rankings have Warren, which is not AAAAA, ranked #2 overall. West Memphis is up there as well.

I don't guess I have seen Warren that high, although I usually only see Hooten's rankings. The Ft Smith teams are down this year but some of the other teams in the west are better, at least comparably to what there were in the recent past.Then of course soon there will be another Springdale school, another Rogers school in the near future. Even Siloam Springs might be able to move up a ranking sometime. It will be interesting what will happen with the 5A West in the future.

I don't guess I have seen Warren that high, although I usually only see Hooten's rankings. The Ft Smith teams are down this year but some of the other teams in the west are better, at least comparably to what there were in the recent past.Then of course soon there will be another Springdale school, another Rogers school in the near future. Even Siloam Springs might be able to move up a ranking sometime. It will be interesting what will happen with the 5A West in the future.

Springdale's football team should be coming along in 2006.

Rogers's second football team should start in either 2008 or 2009.

I think the 5A West may end up splitting.

With Springdale's Second High School already open, Rogers's on way to open in 2008, and Bentonville's in 2010, there's going to have to be something done with the classification.

There should be like a 5A River Valley that would include ( Fort Smith Northside, Fort Smith Southside, Van Buren, Conway, Russellville, etc.) and a 5A Northwest that would obviously include the four cities of NWA and possibly Siloam Springs.

With Springdale's Second High School already open, Rogers's on way to open in 2008, and Bentonville's in 2010, there's going to have to be something done with the classification.

There should be like a 5A River Valley that would include ( Fort Smith Northside, Fort Smith Southside, Van Buren, Conway, Russellville, etc.) and a 5A Northwest that would obviously include the four cities of NWA and possibly Siloam Springs.

Yeah that will probably what will happen eventually. I guess it's more of a question of when will it happen. I wonder if it's obvious what kind of season the Razorbacks are having since all the football talk is high school.

Yeah that will probably what will happen eventually. I guess it's more of a question of when will it happen. I wonder if it's obvious what kind of season the Razorbacks are having since all the football talk is high school.

:rofl:

Although, football league's in an area can somewhat define growth. I really do see us needing a 5A Northwest. But what's going to happen when teams like Pea Ridge, Elkins, Farmington, Decateur, and other NWA School districts eventually grow into larger school districts and possibly going into 5A?

:rofl:

Although, football league's in an area can somewhat define growth. I really do see us needing a 5A Northwest. But what's going to happen when teams like Pea Ridge, Elkins, Farmington, Decateur, and other NWA School districts eventually grow into larger school districts and possibly going into 5A?

I think it will be a while before those schools are that big so I don't think that we'll have to worry about that for a while.

I think it will be a while before those schools are that big so I don't think that we'll have to worry about that for a while.

True.

It could be 10 to 20 years before some of those schools become 5A.

But Pea Ridge is about the largest 3A school in the state. I'm sure they will become 4A within 5 or so years. That means that within 10 years, Pea Ridge will probably join 5A ranks.

The AAA approved the new conferences recently and there will now be a AAAAAAA and AAAAAA division carved out of what is now AAAAA. The largest classification will have 16 teams - AAAAAAA-Central Conference (North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Little Rock Central, Bryant, Russellville, and Little Rock Catholic/Mount St. Mary) and AAAAAAA-West (Bentonville, Springdale, Springdale Har-Ber, Fort Smith Southside and Northside, Rogers and Van Buren).

Russelville will be moving into the Central from the West because of the new Springdale school. If Rogers and Springdale really split 3 ways expect some of these to end up in AAAAAA instead of AAAAAAA. Greenwood fits in here somewhere, they were scheduled to move up to AAAAA soon and pass up Van Buren and maybe some of the other NWA schools if they divide. Alma might eventually as well.

The AAA approved the new conferences recently and there will now be a AAAAAAA and AAAAAA division carved out of what is now AAAAA. The largest classification will have 16 teams - AAAAAAA-Central Conference (North Little Rock, Conway, Cabot, Little Rock Central, Bryant, Russellville, and Little Rock Catholic/Mount St. Mary) and AAAAAAA-West (Bentonville, Springdale, Springdale Har-Ber, Fort Smith Southside and Northside, Rogers and Van Buren).

Russelville will be moving into the Central from the West because of the new Springdale school. If Rogers and Springdale really split 3 ways expect some of these to end up in AAAAAA instead of AAAAAAA. Greenwood fits in here somewhere, they were scheduled to move up to AAAAA soon and pass up Van Buren and maybe some of the other NWA schools if they divide. Alma might eventually as well.

I had forgotten about the new 6A and 7A classifications, thanks Aporkalypse.

I guess I could see the NWA teams going into either 6A West of 7A West.

I know Greenwood is going to go to 5A real soon, possibly 2 years. Pea Ridge will be going to 4A in 5 or so years. Siloam Springs has a chance to move up to 5A, but it might take 5+ years. Russelville will be going to 5A Central next year, when Springdale Har-Ber gets their football program going.

I had forgotten about the new 6A and 7A classifications, thanks Aporkalypse.

I guess I could see the NWA teams going into either 6A West of 7A West.

I know Greenwood is going to go to 5A real soon, possibly 2 years. Pea Ridge will be going to 4A in 5 or so years. Siloam Springs has a chance to move up to 5A, but it might take 5+ years. Russelville will be going to 5A Central next year, when Springdale Har-Ber gets their football program going.

Yeah I seem to recall hearing something about that too and had forgotten about it. I guess this will help simplify some of the future growth problems.

Aporkalypse mentioned Houston Nutt in another topic and I thought I'd start a discussion here about him. I've been more tolerant of Nutt than others but I have to say I'm really wondering if he can stay after this year. Can Nutt stay if he goes winless in the SEC and only have 2 wins against creampuffs? Granted I think we aren't quite as bad as our record shows but still. I suppose we just could manage a win against one of the Mississippi schools. But at what point is Nutt gone? Would Broyles actually keep Nutt if we don't win anymore games and were winless in the SEC? Just curious to see everyone's views on this.

Aporkalypse mentioned Houston Nutt in another topic and I thought I'd start a discussion here about him. I've been more tolerant of Nutt than others but I have to say I'm really wondering if he can stay after this year. Can Nutt stay if he goes winless in the SEC and only have 2 wins against creampuffs? Granted I think we aren't quite as bad as our record shows but still. I suppose we just could manage a win against one of the Mississippi schools. But at what point is Nutt gone? Would Broyles actually keep Nutt if we don't win anymore games and were winless in the SEC? Just curious to see everyone's views on this.

Didn't Nutt sign a big contract a few years ago?

Yes, but the buyout is very low by college football standards, something like $400k.

Everything seems to indicate that Broyles will keep Nutt another year irrespective of the results of our 3 remaining games because he was promised a "two year pass" during his flirtation with Nebraska two years ago. Jim Lindsay is on the Board of Trustees and was the main one that kept Nutt here and negotiated that deal and he's still pressuring to keep Nutt. Meanwhile, John Tyson wants his high school friend, Butch Davis, to get the job and apparently he's interested in it. Butch was the former Cleveland Browns and Miami Hurricane head coach and before that was a Dallas Cowboys asst, he's also a Springdale native and UA alum.

I can't fathom how we can keep him but the word on the street is there's no way he'll lose his job this season.

Baskeball and baseball both are looking good this year, so that's some consolation I guess.

Yes, but the buyout is very low by college football standards, something like $400k.

Everything seems to indicate that Broyles will keep Nutt another year irrespective of the results of our 3 remaining games because he was promised a "two year pass" during his flirtation with Nebraska two years ago. Jim Lindsay is on the Board of Trustees and was the main one that kept Nutt here and negotiated that deal and he's still pressuring to keep Nutt. Meanwhile, John Tyson wants his high school friend, Butch Davis, to get the job and apparently he's interested in it. Butch was the former Cleveland Browns and Miami Hurricane head coach and before that was a Dallas Cowboys asst, he's also a Springdale native and UA alum.

I can't fathom how we can keep him but the word on the street is there's no way he'll lose his job this season.

Baskeball and baseball both are looking good this year, so that's some consolation I guess.

Yeah I've looked more into it and a lot of the rumors I've heard basically point to what you've said. As hard as I find it to believe Nutt could only win to games against creampuffs go winless in the conference and keep his job.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Night that Midland Stadium is Amazing!!!!!

Did anyone hear that Houston Nutt was looking for an Offensive Coordinator?

Did anyone also hear that Nutt may announce Malzhoun as the new Offensive Coordinator after the state championship game this week?

Yeah, sure is.

Malzahn will be named assistant but not OC.

We went after former Ole Miss HC Cutcliffe for OC and he decided to go back to Tennessee. Our old QB coach David Lee, now with the Cowboys, turned down the OC position. Supposedly now the candidates are Wittke, the QB coach, as well as the OCs at Fresno State, Northwestern and Oregon. Gary Growton, the guy at Oregon, was head coach at La Tech and BYU.

There was a segment on CBS last Saturday, about the possibility of Arkansas moving from the SEC to the Big 12 North. Is this being seriously considered by UA?

I know that Arkansas hasnt performed well in football lately, but many of the other sports have been doing very well.

There was a segment on CBS last Saturday, about the possibility of Arkansas moving from the SEC to the Big 12 North. Is this being seriously considered by UA?

I know that Arkansas hasnt performed well in football lately, but many of the other sports have been doing very well.

That's been the rumor ever since we joined the SEC and I don't think it would happen. It makes more geographic sense in some ways but doesn't at all make economic sense.

The Big XII North rumor is based on Colorado leaving for the Pac-10, the Big XII South rumor that floats around at times is based on Baylor exiting the league. Joining the Big XII North would be a downer for us, we have old rivalries with the four Texas schools and to a lesser extent even with OU and OSU but we have no history with the schools from the North, save a UA-dominated basketball series with Mizzou. I don't think leaving for the Big XII North holds any appeal for us.

Can't say I've heard anything on that.

Yeah that is a rumor that's been around a while. It makes sense from a point of where the university is situated. But considering the Razorbacks are supported throughout the whole state I think it might not be a good move. Most of the rest of the state identifies with the southeast more I think. Also the fact of Arkansas being in the northern division wouldn't really work out well for them either. The only way I'd see them seriously considering it is if they could play in the southern division with Texas, Okalhoma and Oklahoma State. The Big 12 is a good conference but I have a hard time seeing anyone walking away from the SEC. I think anyone could make a good arguement that the SEC is the best conference for the sports that we have on campus. While I think some people in western Arkansas and maybe northwest Arkansas might like the idea of playing rivals closer to our part of the state it could further erode support in other areas of the state.

Yeah that is a rumor that's been around a while. It makes sense from a point of where the university is situated. But considering the Razorbacks are supported throughout the whole state I think it might not be a good move. Most of the rest of the state identifies with the southeast more I think. Also the fact of Arkansas being in the northern division wouldn't really work out well for them either. The only way I'd see them seriously considering it is if they could play in the southern division with Texas, Okalhoma and Oklahoma State. The Big 12 is a good conference but I have a hard time seeing anyone walking away from the SEC. I think anyone could make a good arguement that the SEC is the best conference for the sports that we have on campus. While I think some people in western Arkansas and maybe northwest Arkansas might like the idea of playing rivals closer to our part of the state it could further erode support in other areas of the state.

To be honest, I think our rivalries would be slightly better in the Big XII South if we replaced Baylor but I'd almost be afraid of the competition, that would then be a better league than the SEC West - at least for now. The Big XII North holds NO appeal. We have no relationship with those teams. I personally don't see us leaving the SEC, it's our home now.

Archived