Providence Dining Experiences and Reviews

Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so here's a question... due to unforeseen circumstances (getting run over by a cop on a motorcycle on a pedestrian walkway on UPenn's campus), going to just any restaurant for the anniversary with the girlfriend won't due... she's got a broken ankle and is on crutches until mid-January.

assuming those suggestions for restaurants are tight, are there any decent restaurants that have some booths and would be relatively easy to get around on a pair of crutches? i could always take her to cassarino's, but i was hoping to go somewhere nicer that we've never been...

The new place at the Empire/Kestral location (the name of which is completely escaping me at the moment), is opening tomorrow at 4PM. They appeared to be having a dry run tonight with invited guests.

Good luck to them. I hope they have better success than the previous two restuarants. I just figured that this was an unlucky location, but Ari chewed my a** out stating the reasons why Empire & Kestral's failed.

so here's a question... due to unforeseen circumstances (getting run over by a cop on a motorcycle on a pedestrian walkway on UPenn's campus), going to just any restaurant for the anniversary with the girlfriend won't due... she's got a broken ankle and is on crutches until mid-January.

assuming those suggestions for restaurants are tight, are there any decent restaurants that have some booths and would be relatively easy to get around on a pair of crutches? i could always take her to cassarino's, but i was hoping to go somewhere nicer that we've never been...

First, I hope you're suing.

Second, any good restaurant should not have a problem accomodating someone on crutches, though obviously one without stairs to the entrance would be better. I would let them know your date is on crutches and ask them to reserve you a table that will be most accessible.

This brings up an interesting question... Where are the best tapas in Providence right now? I've had a craving of late, and I'm not sure where to go. I've heard Tapeo in Boston is great, but I don't want to take a trip for it...

- Garris

Huh. I've been craving tapas as well...

I think Providence is lacking.

I would go to Dali at the corner of Kirkland and Beacon in Cambridge. Out of this world, and worth the trip!

So for once we actually have a baby sitter and my wife and I are going out for a date tomorrow night. What are your favorite places for a really good dessert?

Ah a great question. It all depends on what you want on your date.

Pastiche http://www.pastichefinedesserts.com/ is excellent in both quality and variety but the seating is limited and not terribly romantic. Then again you can always stroll the hill, if it isn't snowing. They also don't sell alcohol.

L'Elizabeth at 285 S Main St is good if you want to relax in a more intimate atmosphere and have some nice drinks. I the dessert quality is good but they don't have the selection of Pastiche.

Adesso on 161 E Cushing St (off of Thayer) is a full restaurant with good food but I would also recommend their desserts to anyone.

There are many more but one of these should do the trick. Have fun!

So for once we actually have a baby sitter and my wife and I are going out for a date tomorrow night. What are your favorite places for a really good dessert?

Boy, good question. I seem to recall having great desserts at most of Providence's top restaurants... Exceptions might be Cappricio's, where the desserts didn't impress, and neither, do I recall, did Adesso's.

Establishments that were most memorable on the dessert front include:

- Cafe Nuovo

- Mill's Tavern

- Twist

Also, I remember the following being very good also:

- 10 Steak and Sushi

- Big Fish

Check out current menus online. Restaurants tend to rotate and change desert menus frequently. At any of the top places, if it sounds great, it probably is!

- Garris

Ah a great question. It all depends on what you want on your date.

Adesso on 161 E Cushing St (off of Thayer) is a full restaurant with good food but I would also recommend their desserts to anyone.

What a strange location they have. Off Thayer St, but in a residential neighborhood set way back off the street. I'm still angry over the closing of Max's Upstairs. Not for the food :sick: but for the view and drinks.

Go for Pastiche, espically if you are dining in Federal Hill. They have a fireplace there, and at this time of year, they may have it lit. It's right around the corner from DePasquale Plaza. The place is on the small side, though.

How does it live up to its designation as a french brasserie? Burgers and salads dont come to mind. Not bashing it, just curious.

I'm curious what people think of when they think of brasseries.

A brasserie is just supposed to be a cafe that is allowed to serve alcohol. The food should be simple and inexpensive, but not necessarily French.

I'm curious what people think of when they think of brasseries.

A brasserie is just supposed to be a cafe that is allowed to serve alcohol. The food should be simple and inexpensive, but not necessarily French.

I agree with you and should have written a bit better. Bravo was always billed as a french brasserie everywhere I read about it.

From the Journal:

"Bravo Brasserie is set to open tomorrow at 123 Empire St., Providence. Bravo is the newest endeavor of Mario Panagos, the proprietor of Mario's Paragon in Warwick. Panagos, who hails from Greece, toured France several times, seeking out neighborhood brasseries and intimate pubs. Bravo will reflect a stylish Parisian pub atmosphere and will offer a classic brasserie menu with entrees ranging from $8 to $18 and a wine list."

From RI Monthly:

In keeping with the French tradition of brasserie dining, Bravo is a casual and convivial place to meet friends, have a drink and enjoy delicious French and continental preparations

Red Stripe on the other hand is billed as an American Brasserie. Connotes a different style of menu to meand that it perfectly acceptable. When I hear French Brasserie I think of Les Halles in NYC, L'Express in Montreal, etc etc. Classic french peasant dishes. Burgers and salads, not so much.

I agree with you and should have written a bit better. Bravo was always billed as a french brasserie everywhere I read about it.

Red Stripe on the other hand is billed as an American Brasserie. Connotes a different style of menu to meand that it perfectly acceptable. When I hear French Brasserie I think of Les Halles in NYC, L'Express in Montreal, etc etc. Classic french peasant dishes. Burgers and salads, not so much.

Wasn't meaning to criticize I am actually just curious because I see the term applied to basically anyplace that has a bar and a menu and doesn't want to be called a pub. So I'm actually curious what people think of when they hear the word. I think many critics get it wrong, too.

No criticism taken. Inexpensive and brasserie no longer go hand in hand in the US unfortunately. A menu of classic french brasserie dishes (Onion soup, tripe, onglet, etc..) can command a hefty price. And people will pay it.

I hope the new place does well. I will definitely try it.

Go for Pastiche, espically if you are dining in Federal Hill. They have a fireplace there, and at this time of year, they may have it lit. It's right around the corner from DePasquale Plaza. The place is on the small side, though.

I'm curious what other people's experiences have been with Pastiche. I've only been there on Friday/Saturday/Sunday nights, when it's been absolutely jammed packed, with people standing in all the free spaces between tables waiting for their orders. The absolute opposite of intimate... Granted, their desserts are tremendous, but I've always viewed them more as an order out than a eat in...

On a different topic, recently went to "Blaze" in Hope Village and had a nice meal there. I'll do an item by item breakdown later, but in general, I thought the food was acceptable for what it is, which is a moderately upscale American fusion restaurant, very much reminiscent of "Twist" in Wayland Square (and with near identical reasonable prices), but aiming at the more conventional patron, with menu items not as self consciously imaginative as what Twist does. Certainly great for the neighborhood, but not necessarily a "destination" restaurant for others in town.

Has anyone else been there?

- Garris

On a different topic, recently went to "Blaze" in Hope Village and had a nice meal there. I'll do an item by item breakdown later, but in general, I thought the food was acceptable for what it is, which is a moderately upscale American fusion restaurant, very much reminiscent of "Twist" in Wayland Square (and with near identical reasonable prices), but aiming at the more conventional patron, with menu items not as self consciously imaginative as what Twist does. Certainly great for the neighborhood, but not necessarily a "destination" restaurant for others in town.

Has anyone else been there?

- Garris

We live around the corner and grabbed a drink there (didn't eat) for the first time the other night--very nice, friendly atmosphere. When they opened a couple of months ago, I was pretty put off by their garish sign (you gotta see it, to believe it...). That said, I am happy to hear the food's good, and will eat there soon.

Jack

We live around the corner and grabbed a drink there (didn't eat) for the first time the other night--very nice, friendly atmosphere. When they opened a couple of months ago, I was pretty put off by their garish sign (you gotta see it, to believe it...). That said, I am happy to hear the food's good, and will eat there soon.

Jack

I am with you on that sign - ugh :sick: Had dinner there with my wife - she got the special, which was a fish dish and it was fantastic! I got the ribs, which were only so-so, but the side dishes it came with were tasty. I find the service a tad lacking, especially when you first walk in - often the hostess is MIA.

On another note - going to L'Epicureo Saturday night. Anyone been there since they moved? Reviews, dish recommendations?

Archived