The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it looks like work on Aqua is going to start soon. Fences have gone up around the perimeter of the site and I saw several construction guys walking around with clipboards surveying the area.

Is that the parking lot next to Checkers at 10th and W. Peachtree? My company used to have us park there but we were kicked out in January. Now we've moved to the Centergy lot which is so much farther away.. But it will be great to have another high rise there and improve the area. I'm so tired of the prostitutes at night! I wonder if the tenants of Plaza are aware of their neighbors. Hopefully when it fills up, it will be a more active and walkable area.

Cousins plans two condo towers, retail on site near Fox Theatre

615 Peachtree Street building to be razed - AJC

Cousins will take a wrecking ball to the 12-story 1959 building, known as 615 Peachtree Street, this spring. In its place, Cousins plans to build two condo skyscrapers and a 30,000-square-foot retail center, said Larry Gellerstedt, Cousins' president of office and residential development.

At 615 Peachtree, Cousins plans a 30-story residential high-rise along Ponce de Leon Avenue, Gellerstedt said. A second tower, fronting Peachtree Street, will likely be a mix of homes and offices, depending on the office market, he said.

Is that the parking lot next to Checkers at 10th and W. Peachtree? My company used to have us park there but we were kicked out in January. Now we've moved to the Centergy lot which is so much farther away.. But it will be great to have another high rise there and improve the area. I'm so tired of the prostitutes at night! I wonder if the tenants of Plaza are aware of their neighbors. Hopefully when it fills up, it will be a more active and walkable area.

Not quite. The Aqua site is actually on the southwest corner of West Peachtree and Tenth St. It will directly border Mac's (package store) and be next to the Domino's. The parking lot you are thinking of that is right next to the Checkers is actually being used temporarily for Aqua as well, but only to house the construction offices (which is the trailer sitting there). I really wish something could be developed in the giant empty lots across Plaza Midtown on the other side of Spring St. It's such a great opportunity for a massive project that could really liven up the area. With the soon to be Publix and the already open Office Depot, not to mention its close proximity to Tech Square and condo developments, the area seems like a no brainer. I spoke with someone from Midtown Alliance and the property is currently owned by some developer who bought it from Coca Cola or something, but nothing has really been proposed so they are just sort of sitting on a blank lot for now. I wouldn't even mind a big development there like a Best Buy and Target on multiple stacked levels, with condos on top. Sort of like a Midtown Mall. Plus it's so close to the Marta station it would be perfect.

Wow! I love it! Our skyline is really coming together. I like how the building steps towards Peachtree. I hope that the tower that will face Peactree ties all of the towers together (BOA, Ponce Aprtments, & their new one in the rendering.)

Not quite. The Aqua site is actually on the southwest corner of West Peachtree and Tenth St. It will directly border Mac's (package store) and be next to the Domino's. The parking lot you are thinking of that is right next to the Checkers is actually being used temporarily for Aqua as well, but only to house the construction offices (which is the trailer sitting there).

Well I meant both lots. I used to park at the one next to Mac's too (they were both Lanier lots) and then tehy moved us across 10th and then kicked us out in Jan. I'd love to see something built there, but that is a scary intersection to cross on foot!

I also think that lot on Spring needs to be developed ASAP. I walked past there yesterday on my way to work because I missed the light to go down Abercrombie. Its so big and open and full of trash.. it was a little scary walking that way even during the day because there is nothing there and even the Cheetah wasn't open yet. I'm glad that this section of town is finally starting to get some attention!

I don't know if this view has been posted elsewhere but here is another view/angle of the proposed Novare highrise residential tower at 855 Peachtree St (the former Backstreet location). Right across the street from Novare's newly completed Spire and a few blocks south of the Metropolis. There will be alot of critical mass coming to this area.

855_view2.jpg

855 Peachtree, 45 & 35 story Condo towers

According to a poster on another site, Novare has now aquired the remaining parcels on the block which will allow them to extend the retail out to the corner of 6th and Peachtree :thumbsup: and add a third tower at the corner of Juniper and 7th. The old apartment building closer to Juniper will be demolished for this planned third phase, the other one will still be saved. Starbucks is still not budging on their lease though.

More condos planned for Allen Plaza area

Local Hotel Operator Buys Downtown Block-Costar Group

Pattni Group Plans to Add Two Residential Towers to Land Near Allen Plaza

An Atlanta-based hotel owner and operator is making a big local play, buying the downtown Days Inn and the entire city block between Spring, Williams, Baker and Simpson streets downtown with plans to renovate the existing Days Inn and develop two residential towers on the land north of the nine-story hotel, said Harish (Harry) Pattni, who heads up Pattni Group. Including the cost of the renovating the hotel, the deal

According to a poster on another site, Novare has now aquired the remaining parcels on the block which will allow them to extend the retail out to the corner of 6th and Peachtree :thumbsup: and add a third tower at the corner of Juniper and 7th. The old apartment building closer to Juniper will be demolished for this planned third phase, the other one will still be saved. Starbucks is still not budging on their lease though.

I'm sorry but that's very silly. Starbucks could easily move across the street to a temporary location in the Spire. There's still plenty of space available in that building and the sidewalk on the corner is HUGE. Starbucks could easily put tables outside and everything for a nice patio atmosphere. And once the building is complete they could just move back on the block as a tenant of the new building. Novare should pay for their move if they are so serious about developing the whole block (which I think it should). It's definitely nice to have a Starbucks in the area but I dont think the building they are inhabiting adds anything to what Peachtree should and needs to be.

I'm sorry but that's very silly. Starbucks could easily move across the street to a temporary location in the Spire. There's still plenty of space available in that building and the sidewalk on the corner is HUGE. Starbucks could easily put tables outside and everything for a nice patio atmosphere. And once the building is complete they could just move back on the block as a tenant of the new building. Novare should pay for their move if they are so serious about developing the whole block (which I think it should). It's definitely nice to have a Starbucks in the area but I dont think the building they are inhabiting adds anything to what Peachtree should and needs to be.

Maybe they want to keep their drive-through. This is Atlanta, after all.

More condos planned for Allen Plaza area

Local Hotel Operator Buys Downtown Block-Costar Group

Wow. I'm glad to hear that the Days Inn will be renovated if the deal goes through. That building always seemed a little dingy to me. The addition of two other towers will be quite a nice sight as well.

The Business Chronicle reports a $100 million project to be built in South Buckhead, at Peachtree and 28th (where the Wendy's was). 275 condominiums above street level retail, 19 stories, developed by Urban Realty Partners, price range low $300,000s to $800,000s. It will be called The Brookwood. Looks pretty nice.

The Business Chronicle reports a $100 million project to be built in South Buckhead, at Peachtree and 28th (where the Wendy's was). 275 condominiums above street level retail, 19 stories, developed by Urban Realty Partners, price range low $300,000s to $800,000s. It will be called The Brookwood. Looks pretty nice.

Do you have the text or picture of this article?

Do you have the text or picture of this article?

This is from the print edition which won't be online until Monday.

They also report that Starwood hotels has signed on the dotted line to bring a W to Allen Plaza ( at last report they were still in negotiations). There will be 257 rooms and 75 luxury condos. They were also at one point considering Atlantic Station for a hotel but made the right choice and picked Allen Plaza.

This is from the print edition which won't be online until Monday.

They also report that Starwood hotels has signed on the dotted line to bring a W to Allen Plaza ( at last report they were still in negotiations). There will be 257 rooms and 75 luxury condos. They were also at one point considering Atlantic Station for a hotel but made the right choice and picked Allen Plaza.

What building in Allen Plaza will the W be in? Any renderings?

What building in Allen Plaza will the W be in? Any renderings?

over_LG_night.jpg

It will be in the one in the front between the Southern Company and Ernst & Young towers, but it could look significantly different than that rendering. I think it now has more hotel rooms than they previously thought it would have, and they have added a condominium aspect.

55_LG_typical.jpg

In this typical floor plan I found on the Allen Plaza website, it suggests that there would be 26 hotel rooms per floor, which would make the hotel portion of 257 rooms 10 floors (if they use the same size hotel room). Then I'm not sure how many condos they would put on a floor, maybe in the range of 6-10, so that would be another 8 - 13 floors for maybe a total in the high teens to low twenties for a floor count. I've seen 26 mentioned on SSP before, so that may be accurate.

With the recent rash of news, its time for an updated project rundown of everything 12 stories and up. I did not include proposals that have been around for a while with unknown status (there are quite a few of those).

Buckhead

Under Construction

Terminus - 33 stories, office

Realm - 29 stories, condos

Gallery - 27 stories, condos

Ovation - 19 stories, condos

The Brookwood - 19 stories,condos

Proposed/Planned

3344 Peachtree - 47 stories, office/condo

The Mansion on Peachtree - 42 stories, hotel/condo

3630 Peachtree - 40 stories, office/condo

3690 Peachtree - 30 stories, condos