The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don't know exactly what they mean in the article about Post Properties starting 3 new projects. One of them is the condo tower at Peachtree Dunwoody. Another one is the renovation of one of their existing apartment complexes.

But it says they're also going to start a 300 unit mid-rise near Phipps by year end. I guess that's in addition to the other mid-rise they started construction on in that area last year? I've seen the plans for that project and I know it calls for several mid-rise and high-rise towers, so maybe they're just moving forward with an additional phase of it.

The 3344 Peachtree website says it will be "adjacent to the Grand Hyatt and Capital City Plaza." Can someone tell me exactly where it is going? I drove by a few days ago, and the only place I saw enough space for this huge building was in the Doubletree Hotel parking lot...

That's it, I believe.

The Business Chronicle reports that Cousins is going forward with its second office tower at Terminus. It looks pretty similar to the one now under construction.

Hmmm. I'm not height obsessed but I sort of wish they had put it in one tower because I think the proportions of the building look almost stumpy. I think the design lends itself to a really tall tower and I think it would look fantastic with about 20 more floors.

image_1527710.jpg

But it says they're also going to start a 300 unit mid-rise near Phipps by year end. I guess that's in addition to the other mid-rise they started construction on in that area last year? I've seen the plans for that project and I know it calls for several mid-rise and high-rise towers, so maybe they're just moving forward with an additional phase of it.

Hey, I've seen the site and it is right across the street from the Phipps parking lot that is on Lenox Rd. just as you get ready to get on Ga. 400. You can also say it is across from One Alliance Center. How are the plans for those apartment buildings and can you post them.

Hey, I've seen the site and it is right across the street from the Phipps parking lot that is on Lenox Rd. just as you get ready to get on Ga. 400. You can also say it is across from One Alliance Center. How are the plans for those apartment buildings and can you post them.

For those of you looking for yet another forum to post in...here is a new one:

http://myurbancity.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4

Enjoy!

Okay, I'm confused. How can Novare show us a rendering of Trilogy on Peachtree(Backstreet location)

855_view2.jpg

but not have it on their website as current development. There has been a newly annouced Twelve in Charlotte that seemingly came out of nowhere. Why is Trilogy not on their website also? Also, while I'm at it, what about their Twelve 14th Street building? I know they have like a million buildings going on at once in Atlanta but why not add these to the website as well.

Okay, I'm being juvenile but hey I can have my moments too. :silly:

Okay, I'm confused. How can Novare show us a rendering of Trilogy on Peachtree(Backstreet location)

855_view2.jpg

but not have it on their website as current development. There has been a newly annouced Twelve in Charlotte that seemingly came out of nowhere. Why is Trilogy not on their website also? Also, while I'm at it, what about their Twelve 14th Street building? I know they have like a million buildings going on at once in Atlanta but why not add these to the website as well.

Okay, I'm being juvenile but hey I can have my moments too. :silly:

Yes, I agree...we shouldn't have to search for renderings. I guess the plans must not be finalized.

On another note, I drove down Peachtree by the Doubletree Hotel in Buckhead and saw that many trees have big orange X's on them...looks like they will be clearing these soon for 3344 Peachtree! Also, Mansion on Peachtree has a new fence around the property, so they should break ground soon too (if they haven't already).

^ As I read the likely location is 14th & W Peachtree. ANOTHER tower on 14th St - I'm now very impressed with what is going on there, 14th St will truely rival & be even more dominate than Peachtree St in downtown.

Yeah the article says they're "likely" negotiating with Holder, who had been planning an office tower on the site where the Einstiens bagels is located.

This will defintiely enhance the already impressive (for an edge city) Buckhead skyline.

Wow! :lol:

As one who grew up in Atlanta, I don't think I'll ever get used to the concept of Buckhead as an "edge city." In the old days it was just thought as the part of town where the mayors, many of the prominent doctors, educators, bankers, preachers, lawyers, businessmen, philanthropists, the governor, and other assorted big dogs came from. It was (and still is, of course) where the folks who built the High Museum, the Arts Center, the Zoo, the History Center, the Aquarium, and most of the city's other cultural facilities lived. The streetcar ran to Buckhead in 1905, I believe, and its neighborhooods were growing up about the same time as, say, VA-Highland, Ansley, Druid Hills, etc. (My house in Buckhead predates my house on Lanier).

While Buckhead may be viewed as an edge city now, I suspect the many generations of Atlantans who've grown up there would be mortified at the thought they weren't living in the heart of Atlanta. Oddly enough, a lot of people from other parts of the country still strongly connect Buckhead with their images of Atlanta and the old South, too. Admittedly, much of Buckhead has faded away in recent decades, but you can still see vestiges of it in the Village and the other clusters of shops that survive along Peachtree, the lovely old apartment buildings from the 1920s, and residential neighborhoods like Peachtree Highlands, Garden Hills, Ridgedale, Brookhaven, and the plethora of Neel Reid, Phillip Shutze and Lewis Crook schools and homes.

I may have the concept wrong, but I think of "edge cities" as areas that were country until 20 or 30 years ago -- i.e., Perimeter, Galleria, Alpharetta -- and which were not thought of as Atlanta in terms of history and tradition, and which were not directly involved in city politics, culture, political boundaries, religious life, school systems, retail and commercial activity, and similar elements of the urban fabric. As recently as the 1970's, there were still literally cow pastures where Ravinia and all that stuff is, whereas Buckhead was very much "old Atlanta" at that time.

Archived