The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

I've got a question.....what is with the concentration of TWELVE hotels. It seems odd that Novare would launch a brand and have the first three locations within a 25 block stretch.....that's got to be the densest concentration of a single brand in the city.

It seems like a nice hotel, but who outside of Atlanta has even heard of it? Does anyone else think that this is odd, or is the fact that each property has relatively few rooms make this a moot point?

Also, with all of the Novare projects in Buckhead, wouldn't it have made more sense to put a TWELVE there instead of clustering them so close? Buckhead has higher room rates anyways on average right?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a question.....what is with the concentration of TWELVE hotels. It seems odd that Novare would launch a brand and have the first three locations within a 25 block stretch.....that's got to be the densest concentration of a single brand in the city.

It seems like a nice hotel, but who outside of Atlanta has even heard of it? Does anyone else think that this is odd, or is the fact that each property has relatively few rooms make this a moot point?

Also, with all of the Novare projects in Buckhead, wouldn't it have made more sense to put a TWELVE there instead of clustering them so close? Buckhead has higher room rates anyways on average right?

I'm certainly no hotel industry expert but I would think that in general, Midtown/Downtown would have more of their target customers. The fact that its not a widely known is true of any boutique hotel and as you said the hotels individually are quite small in the Atlanta market which is seeing pre 9/11 occupancy levels again. Also the midtown submarket has seen very little hotel development for several years.

^ Midtown & Downtown is mostly a seamless developed area, North Avenue is their border. Buckhead - it depends on which Buckhead, the general area we know as 'Buckhead' is directly north of Midtown, seperated by the Brookwood freeway interchange. But many people really mean either the Buckhead commercial district in the old town or the Lenox edge city.

By car - the difference is either a drive down Peachtree Rd or Piedmont Rd from Buckhead, while there are roughly 5 parrellel streets serving between Midtown & Downtown. Lastly - a MARTA trip is quicker from any of the Downtown MARTA stops to any of the Midtown MARTA stops, with the exception of Garnett to Arts Center.

^Yes, but when you are talking about targeting a specific customer for hotels, I still would say Midtown would be closer to the same kind of customer of Buckhead and not Downtown. I guess it's just a personal opinion.

I see your point - my bad. Still that's a toughie, which begs the question - why would people stay in dt, mt, bh?

Downtown - convention, most likely an aged businessman with gin & tonic stains on his lapel from his red eye flight from Omaha NB for the big poultry trade conference. He might bring his family, but are warned to stick to Peachtree St & don't go to Five Points.

Midtown - business, staying for a night for a big meeting with a law firm. She's a trendy & smart business person who eats doctors for appetizers & lawyers for dessert.

Buckhead - business & shopping, another business person, with a lot of money & bringing the wife so she can buy her daughter from her 3rd marriage that $500 cell phone cozy she has been begging for.

I see your point - my bad. Still that's a toughie, which begs the question - why would people stay in dt, mt, bh?

Downtown - convention, most likely an aged businessman with gin & tonic stains on his lapel from his red eye flight from Omaha NB for the big poultry trade conference. He might bring his family, but are warned to stick to Peachtree St & don't go to Five Points.

Midtown - business, staying for a night for a big meeting with a law firm. She's a trendy & smart business person who eats doctors for appetizers & lawyers for dessert.

Buckhead - business & shopping, another business person, with a lot of money & bringing the wife so she can buy her daughter from her 3rd marriage that $500 cell phone cozy she has been begging for.

Oh My God!!!! Brad, this is the funniest thing I've seen in forever. :rofl:

I think that the tower looks boring and I don't like the lay out of the property either. It's too suburban office park and not very emerging Buckhead. The only good thing that I can say about it is that it doesn't look as 'beach' as the tower it will be next to (don't remember the name?). I don't mind the use of copper on the rounded top but the whole look looks too Florida. As a collection of towers they will look plain and cheap... now is that very Buckhead? Or better yet is that very Phipps?

I think that the tower looks boring and I don't like the lay out of the property either. It's too suburban office park and not very emerging Buckhead. The only good thing that I can say about it is that it doesn't look as 'beach' as the tower it will be next to (don't remember the name?). I don't mind the use of copper on the rounded top but the whole look looks too Florida. As a collection of towers they will look plain and cheap... now is that very Buckhead? Or better yet is that very Phipps?

I agree. Looks too much like an office tower. Nothing really cutting-edge or trendy about it.

It won't be as surburban office in the park as you might think. The rendering reminds me of how some of Novare renderings make it seem as if the building is standing alone. There is much more around this building than this picture shows. Also, I am not a great fan of the rendering, but I do think this is one of those buidings that is going to look a lot better than the rendering.

It won't be as surburban office in the park as you might think. The rendering reminds me of how some of Novare renderings make it seem as if the building is standing alone. There is much more around this building than this picture shows.

Well, that's true. The two Pope & Land towers, for instance, will be adjacent to the church steeple over on the left.

Andrea, is this the article you are talking about? If not, it still details the plans for Terminus.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories.../23/focus1.html

Well, there's another article in today's edition, atlmangum, in which Tad Leithead says they're going forward. However, after reading the fine print I see that they say it won't happen until they're fully leased at Terminus 100. But apparently they're pretty optimistic that will happen soon.

Archived