The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

This might prove them wrong.

Here is a rendering of Aqua someone posted on another site:

Aqua.jpg

It still has the same stats (# of floors, condos, etc) that Martinman mentioned.

Looks like ground breaking will probably happen soon. I live in midtown and was walking down W. Peachtree street on my way home and saw that they had put a big sign up on the corner of 10th and W. Peachtree advertising Aqua as coming soon and that pre-leasing will be starting soon as well. Looks like a reality.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick...signs don't mean anything, just ask Dewberry whom has had a sign up at the corner of P'Tree and 10th for ...what about 30 years now...comming soon though! Also, Aqua will be condos not apartmemts, so they will be pre-selling not leasing (just FYI).

Martinman, the rendering you have for Twelve 14th doesn't look right. There are quite a few discrepencies between the model the developer showed us about two weeks ago and that picture. Also, the beltline towers that Mason wants to build will be built over the dead bodies of most people living in Midtown, Va-Hi, and Morningside-Lenox Park. I think it's pretty safe to say that not even the (in)famous Wayne Mason will get that built.

All in all, I'm pretty excited about the amount of development going on, I just hope it's not too much. It wouldn't be the first time overeager developers build so much inventory that it causes the market to take a nose dive.

sorry to double post. I know that picture for Twelve 1th St didn't look right. That was the proposed Atlantic Center Plaza III which is not going to be built. I think Twelve will occupy the same sight, maybe that is where the confusion comes from.

I realize that thats the original concept for ACP III. I just used it anyway since its the only rendering for the site other than the model the we saw in a picture posted a while back. I would expect it to be somewhat similar anyway since it appears they are using the same architects that did this design.

Does anyone know when Midtown Square is supposed to begin? Is this project dead? The sign on the corner has been gone for about 3 months.

The last report I saw concerning Midtown Square said that Dewberry indicated to the currents tenants (Jocks & Jills etc) that the development will be several years away. Its such a prime spot that if it were one of these other developers it would probably be under construction by now. I don't think its officially dead but at this point it seems highly doubtful that Dewberry can pull it off.

I didn't notice this line in the AJC article until now.

The project will get under way as soon as the land deal closes, said Scott Selig, Selig Enterprises' vice president. Plans for the development aren't finalized, but Selig predicted a high-rise of 25 to 35 stories.

"This will be one of the most exciting projects we've ever done," Selig said. "I'd like to start today."

When they say "get under way" are we talking construction?

If the developer is this excited about it, it must be a great development. I can't wait to get more details.

^ Art-deco... drool. Though it will be replacing an old deco gas station that I do find interesting (or are they keeping it?), it's a great spot for a development. Also - what would be the plans for the old bank on the corner of 12th? I guess they'll tear that down too?

Still, art deco tower, very nice...

I admit I'm the useless type of NIMBY that laments the loss of every pre WWII building or anything that conforms to an urban environment. But yes - I think it's unfortunate that the bank building will have to go, because Atlanta has so few buildings that enhance an urban environment. We have plenty of towers, but particuarly those towers like Bank of America - they do very little to make the area urban, in fact it's sometimes more like an office park.

But this building sounds interesting - though I hope they don't turn Crescent into a service alley.

From AJC:

"Carlos' estate contracted to sell the property to a joint venture of Daniel Corp. and Selig Enterprises, an Atlanta retail developer.

The Carlos family also owns property across Peachtree Street from the Daniel site. Despite interest from developers, both properties have been quiet since Carlos' death."

Is this the property that is currently occupied by that awful carwash? Now if only someone would develop the area across the street from Einstein's and Joe's..this whole block would be complete...

The Atlanta Business Chronicle also had a story on this project.

"We think this development is going to be a home run," said Scott Selig, vice president of retail developer Selig Enterprises. "We will challenge the boundaries, and not just the physical boundaries, but how development has been done. We are more excited about this than any project we have in the pipeline."
Gellerstedt is excited about the chance for more retail along Peachtree at the Daniel/Selig project.

"To make Peachtree the corridor it needs to be, we have to provide a vast array of retail opportunities, between Peachtree and 10th and Peachtree and 14th," he said.

"That's where the statement will be made."

Wow martinman! Now I am much more excited about Gallery. I hope it looks more like this and less like their other rendering. This look is 'now' and the other was a little too EPCOT for my taste.

The only change I would make is give the top a full metal jacket, props to the IBM days that started us out on this journey of cool topped towers. Now that would be more ATL (we luv the bling-bling).

Wow martinman! Now I am much more excited about Gallery. I hope it looks more like this and less like their other rendering. This look is 'now' and the other was a little too EPCOT for my taste.

The only change I would make is give the top a full metal jacket, props to the IBM days that started us out on this journey of cool topped towers. Now that would be more ATL (we luv the bling-bling).

LOL! I love their video of the building -- it makes me -- it makes me wish I had some culture instead of just being a dang Georgia redneck.

Archived