The Atlanta Highrise Boom!

Martinman

Here's a project going up within walking distance of my house:

City OKs office/condo towers in Buckhead

Pope & Land Enterprises Inc. and a consortium of developers have cleared a major hurdle needed to build two Buckhead towers, including one 40-story building that will combine office, retail and condominiums.

The Pope & Land people have said they'll get started next summer.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a project going up within walking distance of my house:

City OKs office/condo towers in Buckhead

The Pope & Land people have said they'll get started next summer.

Interesting. This has been on the table for a while but I see it's not coming to fruition. Buckhead is now starting to blend in with Brookhaven. For me, Peachtree Rd @ Peachtree Dunwoody is the mental boundary for Buckhead and Brookhaven......40 stories.....that will look quite interesting near the Park Avenue. I'm surprised that the neighborhood okay'd this but didn't want the twin to Park Avenue built.

Interesting tidbit from the article.

For all those wondering about 3344 Peachtree:

The Regent tower, 3344 Peachtree, is in the final weeks of a complicated permitting process and is expected to break ground the second or third week of January.

The building will rise 48 stories and include 470,000 square feet of office space on 17 floors; 99 luxury condominiums starting in the mid-$800,000s; and 20,000 square feet of retail space, including a 14,000-square-foot restaurant from Buckhead Life Restaurant Group Inc.

The advertised rental rate for office space is $29.50 to $35 per square foot.

I'm surprised that the neighborhood okay'd this but didn't want the twin to Park Avenue built.
Well, there was a lot of neighborhood discussion but this property was zoned as an SPI (Special Public Interest) district back in the 1980's. There was also debate about the second Kusmiersky tower, which will be about the same size as Park Avenue but a somewhat different design, although there are a number of other residential towers planned for that immediate vicinity as well.

I live in that part of town and personally am pleased to see that there's also been a tremendous amount of townhouse and midrise development going on in recent years. They put a bunch of townhouses down the street from me and people have been gobbling them up despite fairly hefty price tags.

I know it's way out of date but this was an early rendering of the Pope & Land/Post/Novare project at Peachtree-Dunwoody.

buckhead.jpg

I had forgotten about that one. They're using the same architects (Handel associates ) so I wonder if they'll use the same design for the 40+ story building. Probably will wind up being something very similar.

Nevermind, I see that neighborhood input has forced them tocreate a new design. Its interesting that AFTER neighborhood input there is still 40 and 30 story towers. These guys must be easy.

Here's a more detailed rendering of the St Regis

stregis9zp.png

Well Martinman told me to hurry if I wanted to be in the St Regis. Apparently he was right. The exclusive St Regis has been selling....listen to me, not reserved but selling......like croissants.

St. Regis condos a hot item

With the ink on plans for the St. Regis Hotel and Condominiums in Buckhead barely dry, the 50 ultra-posh condominiums are selling like croissants.

Local development partner Paul Freeman said this week that only nine units remain unsold. All units include a private elevator and "outdoor living room." Hotel services will be available to all residents. Prices begin at $2.5 million.

Did you read that!!!!????!!!!! Out of 50 units, only 9 remain. :wacko: Prices starting at $2.5 million. Now this is definitely limiting who you call neighbor. Atlanta is apparently a very hot market now. People are asking about when will Atlanta have a boom like Miami or Chicago. Hello people, are you with us.....have you been reading the Next Wave thread. Atlanta is already booming. When other cities are lingering on proposals for months or years, developments like this are annouced, sold out and built. Next up, the Mansion on Peachtree, 3344 Peachtree and the newly announced 40 story 438 feet residential building at Peachtree and Peachtree Dunwoody. ;)

Atlanta is already booming. When other cities are lingering on proposals for months or years, developments like this are annouced, sold out and built. Next up, the Mansion on Peachtree, 3344 Peachtree and the newly announced 40 story 438 feet residential building at Peachtree and Peachtree Dunwoody.

Yep, it looks like there is pretty much unlimited potential based on how big Atlanta is and the stable, yet very high, growth rates it has been having.

The news on St Regis is especially amazing.

Nevermind, I see that neighborhood input has forced them tocreate a new design. Its interesting that AFTER neighborhood input there is still 40 and 30 story towers. These guys must be easy.

Heh. That's my neighborhood, Martinman, and I can tell you this didn't get do down without a lot of emotion and discussion. (Our neighborhood is the one that brought the TAP Associates case where the Georgia Supreme Court upheld the CDP). As I mentioned earlier, however, this property was zoned as a SPI District in the 1980's so P&L could have built an even larger and more onerous project. The original proposal, for instance, also included a highrise hotel which was eliminated.

I thought I'd read that P'tree Dunwoody would be a departure from Novarre's usual concrete and glass. Will it be aluminum and glass ? Any ideas ?

Its supposed to have a brick facade. The architects for this project designed the Museum tower and the Mayfair buildings so itll likely be something along those lines.

Btw, if Im not mistaken, Novare's first new construction project was Centennial House, the little brick condos downtown.

I saw this article on Allen Plaza's website:

http://www.allenplaza.com/press/Allen_Plaza_Catalyst.pdf

It says:

"Barry is completing the foundation for a new 26 story hotel and condo complex at Allen Plaza, and the company is in negotiation with a major hotel flag for the space."

Will this hotel be in 45 Allen Plaza? And where will it be built?

I saw this article on Allen Plaza's website:

http://www.allenplaza.com/press/Allen_Plaza_Catalyst.pdf

It says:

"Barry is completing the foundation for a new 26 story hotel and condo complex at Allen Plaza, and the company is in negotiation with a major hotel flag for the space."

Will this hotel be in 45 Allen Plaza? And where will it be built?

Click Here

Just roll your mouse over the yellow buildings (the blue ones are interactive too) and the name of the building will appear.

Expect on a major announcement [on the Mansion] in a few weeks with construction to start in Feb.
Gee, there seems to be quite a bit of new stuff going on in Buckhead these days. The Intercontinental opened recently (very chi-chi, as we discovered), and then there's 3344 Peachtree, the Coro project at Peacthree & Piedmont, Gallery, the two Pope & Land towers, Two Alliance Center, Terminus (and possibly an additional residential tower), Realm, the St. Regis, Ovation and a bunch of low and midrise projects. I had heard there were a lot of new projects being held back until the City finally made the additional sewer capacity available, so I guess that's part of it.

Some news on The Mansion on P'Tree:

Word on the street is that they have modified their plans to 51 stories, not 45, making it the tallest building outside of Atlanta (taller than 3344). Expect on a major announcement in a few weeks with construction to start in Feb. :yahoo:

I read some of the speculative news in the ABC and its suppose to be a first for the city and high profile.

Check this out about the Mansion on Peachtree. I think there might be a misprint with the height. I would say 680 instead of 580ft. based on the floors.

mansion on peachtree

Residential floors are shorter than office floors. For example GLG Grand at 53 stories is 609 ft and the Marriott Marquis at 52 stories is 554 ft. I think 3344 will still be taller given its large office component.

From the CoStar article

"At 52 stories and 580 feet tall, The Mansion will contain 124 hotel rooms, 43 condos, three “garden villas,” two unnamed restaurants and a 15,000-square-foot spa, according to the Web site.

Residential floors are shorter than office floors. For example GLG Grand at 53 stories is 609 ft and the Marriott Marquis at 52 stories is 554 ft. I think 3344 will still be taller given its large office component.

From the CoStar article

"At 52 stories and 580 feet tall, The Mansion will contain 124 hotel rooms, 43 condos, three

580 feet or 680 feet, Buckhead is on fire....as is Midtown and Downtown. There will be probably $2,000,000,000 woth of new development in that stretch from Peachtree @ Piedmont to Peachtree @ Peachtree-Dunwoody. Utterly mindboggling when you consider on the Which Major SE city has the most development thread, other cities are throwing up one or two towers to show how fast their cities are growing when we have districts of the city with more development. Truly amazing.....and now my husband is talking about leaving :shok: ....now is not the time. I am too excited to see how drastic the skyline will change.

This is true, but I just called the company and the rep exact words to me was that one of their intentions was to be the tallest building north of downtown. She said that the floorplans for the condos would be available next week, but the condos are going to be unfinished with the smallest unit at 3300sf and that they will fly their buyers to NY and let the architects of Robert A.M. Stern design their condos. I should have asked her how tall the ceilings were going to be in the units. Keep in mind, not all condos have the same ceiling height. Metropolis, Spire, Realm, Paramount at Buckhead all have 10ft ceilings. Buckhead Grand ceilings are only 9ft. The View at Chastain ceilings are 12 or 13 ft. Also, you have to consider the amount of cement between the floors. With the price tag of these condos, the ceilings could very well be tall than 9 or 10ft.

Still a 52-story all residential tower would have to be pretty creative to come up with 680'. Besides 580 is nothing to sneeze at.

580 feet or 680 feet, Buckhead is on fire....as is Midtown and Downtown. There will be probably $2,000,000,000 woth of new development in that stretch from Peachtree @ Piedmont to Peachtree @ Peachtree-Dunwoody. Utterly mindboggling when you consider on the Which Major SE city has the most development thread, other cities are throwing up one or two towers to show how fast their cities are growing when we have districts of the city with more development. Truly amazing.....and now my husband is talking about leaving :shok: ....now is not the time. I am too excited to see how drastic the skyline will change.

And this next round of towers are bringing some serious height

Twelve 14th 750 ft

3344 640 ft

Mansion 580ft

Terminus 485ft

50 Allen Plaza ~500ft

845 Peachtree I ~480ft (~ = my best guess-timate)

Plus 40 story residential towers planned at Centennial hill, 615 Peachtree, and the rumored 50 story Novare/Atlantic Station.

Archived