Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

This will never happen. Call it negativity, call it ignorance, but what evidence exists that would support this EVER happening? I'm not calling you out seminole, it's just a view that far to many people share and it's a very hollow perspective. I get hammered here for saying the community leadership is inept, yet every week another decision or article presents itself to help prove my hypothesis.

I don't think anyone here disagrees w/you that for the most part community leadership can be and is inept. But there are certain bright spots and people in there.

I do believe change is happening, it's just happening a lot SLOWER than most of us would like....way too slow like Tally has some type of weird time zone of its own where you must multiple everything by 20 to get the actual time it takes for certain things to happen. :huh: It also seems we take 3 steps forward and then fools like Bob R. take us one or two steps back again.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you my friend nole :) yea i vent my frustration sometimes, when all these anti growth articled pop up, and more setbacks, and people whining about growth... I cant stand it, if u dont want growth move to jefferson county, if u want growth, then this place should grow.

This will never happen. Call it negativity, call it ignorance, but what evidence exists that would support this EVER happening? I'm not calling you out seminole, it's just a view that far to many people share and it's a very hollow perspective. I get hammered here for saying the community leadership is inept, yet every week another decision or article presents itself to help prove my hypothesis.

Never say never my friend. It seems Tallahassee has come quite a way in the past 5 years alone. I'm currently working on a market feasability study for a new office tower downtown and one thing I see is how rapidly our office space is growing around here, yet vacancy rates remain low. This is a strong indicator of steady, and sustainable growth.

It will take time, and more investing by the government in the necessary infrastructre, but Tallahassee WILL definately benifit from future expasion of major companies, and its own innovation. Like Poonther said, its happening alot slower than we hope, but Tallahassee is turning the tide.

NO it's not sad because I do like you. You are correct, there ain't a damn thing to do here but resturants, movies and an occasional football game. If we want to keep some of our young intellectuals in the area then we need to start diversifying our entertainment as well as our economy.

No I don't want Tallahassee to be like South Florida, but we do deserve a lot more than what we have at this time. Times are a changing and I do like (controllable) growth and so do you TallahasseeDowntown, because "no growth" is not a good thing. State government is fine for the 'good ole boys and girls' who have cushion jobs and live in cushion neighborhoods, but my background is business and management information systems and so on. I live for the day when Tallahassee is able to compete on an national scale for high paying corporate jobs and research facilities - but we ain't there yet!

Why should you pack up and leave? Let those who don't want to see a bigger more vibrant Tallahassee take your advise and sail into the sunset because their way of thinking does not promote economic nor cultural diversity.

I co-sign on everything you said. I rep Tallahassee just as much as the next guy but damn, when are we gonna get some high-paying corporate jobs? Year after year college students come to our universities to get educated and then go elsewhere to stimulate the economy for the sole reason there's nothing in the way of good paying jobs. I read somewhere that the avg. age here is something like 34.3, now you would think we would do a better job of catering to the younger crowd but that's not the case. Yea we got The Moon, Chubby's and FSU football but that's not enough. We also got the North FL fair but that comes only once a year. In short, Tallahassee needs to to a BETTER job of catering to the younger crowd.

Well, back on topic...

My favorite road in Tallahassee:

Orchard Pond + Subaru Impreza rally style!!

On a daily basis, Blairstone is nice, but it's really nice when it's 9 pm or 6 am and it's not busy.

When we're in Session @ the Legislature and I have to be at work early, breezing down Mahan is nice too.

Well, back on topic...

My favorite road in Tallahassee:

Orchard Pond + Subaru Impreza rally style!!

On a daily basis, Blairstone is nice, but it's really nice when it's 9 pm or 6 am and it's not busy.

When we're in Session @ the Legislature and I have to be at work early, breezing down Mahan is nice too.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Tallahassee UD530J :yahoo:

Who/What Committee did/do you work for in the legislature?

I work in the Clerk's Office, in the House. Are you another Capitoller?

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Tallahassee UD530J :yahoo:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been around the web for years now and didn't realize there was such an active Tallahassee forum community.

There is no entertainment here, I have lived here all my life, was born here, there is no entertainment district,

IM bored of this place.

Its sad that the people on this forum dont like me, because You would enjoy me in person,

I don't hate you. But I do disagree with most of what you say. I would rather have cautious growth than building crap that will be empty or torn down in 10 years. I actually side with Ghost on a lot of issues (though he is MUCH more conservative than I would ever be).

I agree there is nothing to do in Tallahassee. Most of the locals are focused on thier home hobbies and thier church. Most of the students either drink or drive home on weekends.

I also realize that the malls here aren't window shopper freindly. They aren't really a hangout spot as they would be in other towns. But we are getting off topic. :)

lol. What a nick name!

Looks like progress is coming along quite nicely on Welaunee Blvd. Has anyone been on the south side lately to see what type of progress is being made on CCSE and E. Orange Ave?

I have not been down around Orange Ave but I go by it at Blair Stone and it is still blocked off. Not sure what is taking so long. What are the plans for Orange Ave? Is it goign to 4 lane to Monroe?

Yesterday I was sitting in traffic on Thomasville Road heading north to the NE Target Supermarket. While on my way I found myself thinking about that N-S expressway again as I feel a trip from where I live to the Target store should take me no more than 20 minutes. Well I found myself thinking this:

No one, without being forced to, is going to come up with a true route for this road. Truth is, it IS possible to build an expressway through Tallahassee that runs down through the middle of the city. The catch is were going to have to spend some big bucks. I say lay a straight line down a map of Tallahassee avoiding anything of historical significance and there's your route. Whatever lies in its path is coming down. I have no problem re-developing business parks and neighborhoods to improve travel through this city and enhance our commerce.

The way I see it... everything we tear down can be replaced. The federal government and state should be the pockets for most of what we hope to accomplish as they have fronted the money for other cities to build infrastructure. Just like Pensacola, we need a straight spur to HWY 98.

Any ideas. Mainly looking to hear from JPL... this can be done. Be destructive if you must, just spare the history.

Yesterday I was sitting in traffic on Thomasville Road heading north to the NE Target Supermarket. While on my way I found myself thinking about that N-S expressway again as I feel a trip from where I live to the Target store should take me no more than 20 minutes. Well I found myself thinking this:

No one, without being forced to, is going to come up with a true route for this road. Truth is, it IS possible to build an expressway through Tallahassee that runs down through the middle of the city. The catch is were going to have to spend some big bucks. I say lay a straight line down a map of Tallahassee avoiding anything of historical significance and there's your route. Whatever lies in its path is coming down. I have no problem re-developing business parks and neighborhoods to improve travel through this city and enhance our commerce.

The way I see it... everything we tear down can be replaced. The federal government and state should be the pockets for most of what we hope to accomplish as they have fronted the money for other cities to build infrastructure. Just like Pensacola, we need a straight spur to HWY 98.

Any ideas. Mainly looking to hear from JPL... this can be done. Be destructive if you must, just spare the history.

Completely agree. I feel that since it has to be done at somepoint we might as well get on it. We need infrastructure like this for future growth.

I say lay a straight line down a map of Tallahassee avoiding anything of historical significance and there's your route. Whatever lies in its path is coming down.

Be destructive if you must, just spare the history.

Oh well, it was a good idea while it lasted because as soon as a plan develops for a N-S expressway construction, then all of a sudden everything in its path will become a historical significance. I remember when some lady tried to convince my friends and me to vote against the Blair Stone extension because it would destroy native american artifacts in its path of construction. Some people will say anything to stand in the way of progress.

We can definitely forget the idea of a N-S expressway through downtown, because historical preservationist will claim the entire area should be preserved for it's historical significance (eye roll)!

Nice thought Tj. I say someone looks into it and they could build it in the air. That would be the easy thing and nothing much would have to be torn down. Just a thought.

Oooh my Gosh! Sbdinc that is an excellent idea. I agree with TJ that it will be expensive, but maybe if we can construct a elevated highway with reversible lanes (similar to the Lee Roy Selmon Expressway in Tampa) in the median of Monroe Street it would certainly satisfy our need for a N-S expressway. The Lee Roy Selmon just opened and I'll check it out the next time I go home to visit my family. I believe the cost of construction was close to $400 mil for approximately 18 miles of roadway.

But how do we make it work? The whole purpose is to move traffic in and out of our developing downtown, so the north leg could begin at the N. Monroe - Thomasville intersection and terminate just north of I-10. Of course, we would have to be creative with the on/off-ramps. Perhaps we could use the far east lane of Duval St as a north bound on ramp and just loop it eastward (beginning near Georgia Street) to the elevated expressway.

The south bound traffic could enter downtown from the expressway by looping eastward into a decelerating lane onto Calhoun Street.

The south leg could begin on South Monroe just south of Magnolia Street and terminate just north of Capital Circle.

Of course this is subject to modification but this proposal is designed to move people in and out of our future Central Business District without bringing an elevated roadway through downtown. This plan in conjunction with other forms of mass transit would at least help alleviate some of the traffic problems into and out of downtown.

I believe the cost of construction was close to $400 mil for approximately 18 miles of roadway.

But how do we make it work? The whole purpose is to move traffic in and out of our developing downtown, so the north leg could begin at the N. Monroe - Thomasville intersection and terminate just north of I-10. Of course, we would have to be creative with the on/off-ramps. Perhaps we could use the far east lane of Duval St as a north bound on ramp and just loop it eastward (beginning near Georgia Street) to the elevated expressway.

The south bound traffic could enter downtown from the expressway by looping eastward into a decelerating lane onto Calhoun Street.

I have no idea what the new expressway cost in TPA seminole, but that figure sounds awfully low for 18 miles of elevated expressway????

As for your "loops" occurring on Duval, Calhoun and Georgia, well now you are talking my neighborhood and possibly my house. Don't make me go all NIMBY on you. :D

I have no idea what the new expressway cost in TPA seminole, but that figure sounds awfully low for 18 miles of elevated expressway????

As for your "loops" occurring on Duval, Calhoun and Georgia, well now you are talking my neighborhood and possibly my house. Don't make me go all NIMBY on you. :D

LOL! Sorry about that Poonther I guess we can forget about the loops.

I'm not sure but I think that maybe 6 to 8 miles may actually be elevated. The expressway extends from Brandon to Tampa and the original cost was in the low $300 millions. It could have been constructed for less than the low $400 millions but the project was delayed.

I believe the distance from downtown Tallahassee to I-10 is less than 6 miles so we will have to consider this also. We should concentrate on the "north leg" first because we need a connector between downtown and I-10.

Archived