Tallahassee: Roads

Florida

Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tallahassee Road is your favorite?

• Apalachee Parkway
    • Blairstone Road
    • Capital Circle
    • Mahan Drive (East)
    • Tennessee Street (West)
    • Monroe Street
    • Old Bainbridge
    • Thomasville Road
    • Other (Explain)

Did construction on our E-W expressway (I10) get delayed? I see nothing thusfar.

Construction of Segment 2 to begin October 14, 2006. Construction on Segments 1 and 3 to begin in November 2006.

I don't remember, but Is there going to be a west-bound I-10 on ramp from the north bound lane of Capital Circle NE? I think it is ridiculous to have to make a left turn onto Raymond Diehl, then a right turn onto Thomasville and then another left onto the west bound I-10 on ramp. The northbound traffic jam on Thomasville Road sometimes won't allow a right turn onto Thomasville from Raymond Diehl.

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Construction of Segment 2 to begin October 14, 2006. Construction on Segments 1 and 3 to begin in November 2006.

I don't remember, but Is there going to be a west-bound I-10 on ramp from the north bound lane of Capital Circle NE? I think it is ridiculous to have to make a left turn onto Raymond Diehl, then a right turn onto Thomasville and then another left onto the west bound I-10 on ramp. The northbound traffic jam on Thomasville Road sometimes won't allow a right turn onto Thomasville from Raymond Diehl.

An answer to my own question This (to me) is the most important improvement to this intersection.

A new westbound I-10 entrance ramp will be developed at Capital Circle NE. This ramp will consist of three (3) lanes and will cross over the westbound I-10 exit ramp and Thomasville Road on a new bridge structure. This ramp merge with the westbound I-10 entrance ramp from southbound Thomasville Road and provide a single merge point on I-10.

The New I-10 interchange at Thomasville Road/Capital Circle

untitled1.jpg

US 319/SR 61(Thomasville Road)

The design for this interchange is complex due to the proximity of an elevated Capital Circle NE to an at-grade Thomasville Road in the same general vicinity along I-10. The following improvements are being designed for this interchange:

• The existing westbound I-10 exit ramp which currently passes under Capital Circle NE and connects directly to Thomasville Road will be widened to two (2) lanes, prior to Capital Circle NE. These lanes will split: a new three (3) lane ramp will connect directly with Capital Circle NE at a signalized intersection; while a single ramp will continue to Thomasville Road.

• A new westbound I-10 entrance ramp will be developed at Capital Circle NE. This ramp will consist of three (3) lanes and will cross over the westbound I-10 exit ramp and Thomasville Road on a new bridge structure. This ramp merge with the westbound I-10 entrance ramp from southbound Thomasville Road and provide a single merge point on I-10.

• The north leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate four (4) through lanes in the north direction and six (6) lanes in the southbound direction. These six (6) lanes will be split between through movements and right-turn lanes to access I-10 westbound. The existing Killearn Center Boulevard slip ramp to Capital Circle NE and the bridge over I-10 will be widened to accommodate the increased capacity on Capital Circle Northeast.

• The south leg of the Capital Circle NE ramp terminal intersection will accommodate three (3) through lanes in the southbound direction and five lanes (5) in the northbound direction (three (3) through and dual left to I-10 westbound). The Capital Circle NE bridge over I-10 will also be widened.

• The eastbound approach at Raymond Diehl Road and Capital Circle NE will include an additional right turn lane to Capital Circle NE. To avoid right-of-way acquisition in this area, the intersection will be shifted 12 feet to the north. Additionally, the eastbound I-10 entrance ramp from Raymond Diehl Road will be widened to two (2) lanes.

• The existing eastbound I-10 exit ramp at Thomasville Road will be widened to three (3) lanes, the inside lane will split off to become a two (2) lane ramp bridge over Thomasville Road and will then turn south to intersect with Raymond Diehl Road. The outside two (2) lanes will increase to four (4) lanes and intersect with Thomasville Road. Of these, a triple left-turn will be developed for the northbound Thomasville Road movement while the fourth lane will become a right-turn to southbound Thomasville Road.

• Thomasville Road will be widened to ten (10) lanes within the limits of the ramp terminal intersection at I-10. The five (5) southbound lanes on Thomasville Road will have three (3) through lanes and two (2) left-turn lanes to eastbound Raymond Diehl Road. Northbound Thomasville Road will have four (4) through lanes and one (1) left turn lane.

• The existing westbound I-10 entrance ramp will include a continuous right-turn lane from southbound Thomasville Road. A single left-turn lane from northbound Thomasville Road will merge with the continuous entrance ramp. This lane will merge with the new entrance ramp from Capital Circle, and continue onto I-10 westbound.

• Bicycle and pedestrian facilities are present in this interchange location and those facilities will be reconstructed with the new interchange design.

Here's an info refresher. I presume the info is still accurate and no major changes have been made. It looks somewhat like we're using Atlanta's transportation doctrine, ie widen every road in sight.

Here's an info refresher. I presume the info is still accurate and no major changes have been made. It looks somewhat like we're using Atlanta's transportation doctrine, ie widen every road in sight.

Hey I've said that very line before about not following the ATL method, but you know what, in this case I definitely think it's needed. I'm all for this one, bring it on! Plus the additional lanes will give you a sense that you've arrived in Tally and its urban environment a little more even for those just passing through.

I just wish they could do the widening project from US 90 West in Midway to US 90 East past Summit East and not cut it short by going from just east of the Rest Area to just east of Cap. Circle. I think one day very soon we'll be sorry they cut it short. I predict back ups on I-10 eastbound as it narrows to two lanes again past C.C. b/c of the build up around Exit 209A,B (90 East) and the new interchange that will happen when Welanuee Blvd. arrives. I can see the same problems on 10 westbound as it narrows at the rest area w/tons of folks still wanting to get to the Midway exit w/all their commercial and residential build-up.

I just wish they could do the widening project from US 90 West in Midway to US 90 East past Summit East and not cut it short by going from just east of the Rest Area to just east of Cap. Circle. I think one day very soon we'll be sorry they cut it short. I predict back ups on I-10 eastbound as it narrows to two lanes again past C.C. b/c of the build up around Exit 209A,B (90 East) and the new interchange that will happen when Welanuee Blvd. arrives. I can see the same problems on 10 westbound as it narrows at the rest area w/tons of folks still wanting to get to the Midway exit w/all their commercial and residential build-up.

Through the city to where? A fast track to Perry? An 8 lane to Miccosukee? Controlled access roads are great for getting from geo to geo but really screw up a city. If you want an example of CA's making things worse, check out Austin Texas or pretty much anyplace in California.

Before you start advocating for stuff like that, I recommend that you go live for a year or two in a bigger city to get a reality check on infrastructure growth.

I have no first hand knowledge of Austin, TX, but my best friend here at FSU was born and raised in Austin, and his family still lives there. When driving around town with him in the past, he often complains that, "for such a small town, Tallahassee has horrible roads." He has told me several times that Austin's road system is awesome and that traffic is nearly as bad here in a small town as it is in Austin.

I am sure that he has exagerated a little, but I would also imagine from what he says that Austin's roads work rather effectively.

Our traffic is terrible for a smaller city. Work on Capital Circle and I-10 will only do so much. Poonther makes a great mention of Pensacola, that's the city I always think of when I mention the spur route. It seems even there, the Spur was an after thought, but at least they have one.

Our traffic is terrible for a smaller city. Work on Capital Circle and I-10 will only do so much. Poonther makes a great mention of Pensacola, that's the city I always think of when I mention the spur route. It seems even there, the Spur was an after thought, but at least they have one.

Hey Tally people! This is Metrowester from Orlando. I was recently looking at a very old roadmap from the 50's or 60's and it originally showed I-10 going straight through dowtown Tallahassee. There must have been a debate about it back in those times and the outside route was decided. Tally probably would have grown much like Orlando if the original route would have been built. Big business men in Orlando at the time fought to bring I-4 through downtown Orlando, the original route was to the west, by-passing the city. If that original route would have been built, Orlando would probably be nothing but an Ocala or Lakeland today. (Or a Tally.) Just an observation! :)

Or a Tally.... uh ok.

Yes there was a debate. I-10's original route through Tallahassee was supossed to run the route near present day Gaines Street, or so I've heard. He's right, Tallahassee's economic development would probably be the better for it, but we can't look to change the past, only to improve the future.

Hey Tally people! This is Metrowester from Orlando. I was recently looking at a very old roadmap from the 50's or 60's and it originally showed I-10 going straight through dowtown Tallahassee. There must have been a debate about it back in those times and the outside route was decided. Tally probably would have grown much like Orlando if the original route would have been built. Big business men in Orlando at the time fought to bring I-4 through downtown Orlando, the original route was to the west, by-passing the city. If that original route would have been built, Orlando would probably be nothing but an Ocala or Lakeland today. (Or a Tally.) Just an observation! :)

Mr. Ensley recently posted an article in the Democrat about this issue so I remember it well.

There was a debate because the City of Tallahassee didn't think an interstate system was necessary at that time because of U.S. 90. However, the federal government was going to build one anyway and had decided on a route farther north (than it's present location) which would bring the interstate over Lake Jackson. The City of Tallahassee fought back and said that if a highway was going to be built anyway, then it should run through downtown (near Gaines Street) or south of Tallahassee (somewhere near the present Capital Circle route). The federal denied both routes because a city needed a population of at least 100,000 to justify routing an interstate system through their downtown and the southern route would be too expensive due to swamp drainage, increased mileage, and the possibility of routing the interstate through Eglin Air Force Base.

The City of Tallahassee actually fought to have the interstate routed through downtown and even stated that Tallahassee's population would be approaching 100,000 by the time interstate construction was completed, but Federal planners decided to build the highway to the north of downtown (but a little south of it's origin proposed route).

Now I fought the past City's planners for a lot of poor decision concerning our road designs but I can't blame them for I-10's present location.

Archived