School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simply put, it's not sound Urban Planning to take a Public Facility such as a functioning Courthouse away from the Urban Core, that being Downtown, and place it on the periphery. Also not good if we're seeking to revitalize downtown. I think we need to commit to a mission, and everyone needs to get behind it. I'm all for FSU having that facility IF, and only IF, DCA were considering relocating within Downtown, but I've not heard that.

My vision for Tallahassee involves all sectors of the city being more vibrant, beautiful, and sustainable. There are certain things that belong where they belong, a Courthouse, no matter the type, belongs downtown, I don't care how beautiful Southwood is.

Now if that's indeed the case I'd cautiously support it, only because I feel using the more Historic Federal Courthouse facility as a Court Of Appeals facility is a quality use of the space. Additionally, the court would remain downtown. Now, this would mean of course that FSU would have to spend quite a bit to make the current DCA courthouse suitable for educational purposes, or no? Would this become their mock courthouse? I don't believe there is much in terms of instructional space in this facility, so it would require a significant remodel.

But tell me this, what is the difference between FSU encroaching on Downtown, and Downtown encroaching on FSU at it claimed during the whole Symphony Condominium debacle?

• 4 weeks later...
Now if that's indeed the case I'd cautiously support it, only because I feel using the more Historic Federal Courthouse facility as a Court Of Appeals facility is a quality use of the space. Additionally, the court would remain downtown. Now, this would mean of course that FSU would have to spend quite a bit to make the current DCA courthouse suitable for educational purposes, or no? Would this become their mock courthouse? I don't believe there is much in terms of instructional space in this facility, so it would require a significant remodel.

But tell me this, what is the difference between FSU encroaching on Downtown, and Downtown encroaching on FSU at it claimed during the whole Symphony Condominium debacle?

is that really that big a deal? FAMU was managing funds for the past decade but both schools had joint ownership of the program. i think the move makes sense until FAMU can get their financial house in order... $39 million dollars that was spent without oversight is frightening... for the good of Tallahassee we need a strong, well run FAMU.

is that really that big a deal? FAMU was managing funds for the past decade but both schools had joint ownership of the program. i think the move makes sense until FAMU can get their financial house in order... $39 million dollars that was spent without oversight is frightening... for the good of Tallahassee we need a strong, well run FAMU.

this was bantered about while i was in law school. the dean would like to acquire the DCA and use the courtrooms as is plus increase classroom space... FSU Law would then have one of the best mock trial/moot court venues in the USA.

by the way, FSU Law is up to #53 in the latest US News rankings...

• 2 months later...

Nice! This is a big lot.... Is it going to be the younger brother of the one on tennessee? It would be nice to see at least six stories above ground... what an awsome shuttle location for Home Games!

P.s. the Boothe parking garage is way more visible than i thought it would be... why are garages some how now exciting...

LOL! I, at first, questioned why Booth would build a parking garage, and why there. But now I'm starting to realize how wonderful it is. Now I won't have to worry as much about people paking in the middle of Chapel Drive when I'm trying to drive down that road. The off-street parking down there is terrible. There are also so many new apartments being built or already up in that area that it was only a matter of time. This location will also be a nice commuter parking area for sports.

^ I guess I'm wrong on this but I really thought FSU was rebuilding the Turnbull Center / CPD in the same spot? Their long range plans call for rebuilding it someplace along Pensacola Street...who knows where the exact location is? I always thought the new parking garage would be built behind this location although I haven't seen any site plans.

perhaps it will be a highrise building with on top of a 6 story parking garage! :D j/k Although one could only hope it were so. I think it would be awesome if there were some highrise buildings along Macomb from the self proclaimed landlocked university. It would make the downtown look massive. :)

It would be nice, especially with the CC parking lot sprouting skyward

FSU does a lot for the Feel of Tallahassee's core developments, especially along tennessee st.

I would tell anyone leisurely driving on I-10 through tallahasse to hop off onto 90 and sneak through her heart!

But the parking garage will interact nicely with the hillside. It could add character, and emphasis to macomb's hilly curves!

Plus (and if you haven't done this yet) the top floor of a parking garage is a nice breezy place to eat some fast food and watch the sunset...

Archived