School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New IM Fields Open

FSU Rec Sportsplex premieres to students

Liz Cox

Florida State University opened the gates to its brand new Rec Sportsplex Friday, Sept. 14 at 3 p.m.

Reportedly the largest single outdoor collegiate recreational facility in the country, the Sportsplex is home to 21 fields and over 50 acres of playing space. The complex also includes festival and pavilion space with concessions, changing areas, training rooms and wireless internet access.

The opening day celebration featured a grand opening ceremony, with Student Government Association (SGA) leaders and Recreation and Intramural Sports representatives, and a kickball tournament, in which 32 teams participated.

The complex will be home to such sports as flag football, soccer, wiffleball and more, and it will also be available for use by FSU students, faculty and staff during normal operating hours.

for more

Source: FSView

New Starbucks brews interest

New Starbucks opens on Ocala Road and on Campus

Ashley Bechtloff

GoodbreadHills007.jpg

Starbucks opened a new store Saturday, Sept. 1 at 9 a.m..The store in located on Ocala Road and is the tenth location in Tallahassee. In celebration of their opening, Starbucks presented a Child Advocates II, Inc. with a check. Child Advocates II is a non-profit organization that supports abused and neglected children.

As the new Starbucks opens, students are excited about the convenience of its location.

"Though I go to school on Tennessee Street, I live closer to Ocala Road," said Emily Zimmerman. "Having another Starbucks in the area is really awesome."

Many students like to study and relax in coffee houses such as Starbucks.

"I like to study in Starbucks during finals," Jim Burmeister said. "It's way less crowded than Strozier."

For more information on Starbucks stores visit www.starbucks.com.

Booth Properties Awards FSU Students

Local students awarded free housing for a year from Booth Properties

Ashley Bechtloff

Booth Properties awarded 18 local students more than $90,000 in scholarships Monday, Aug. 27 at a scholarship dinner.

The dinner was held at the University Center Club and featured special guests such as Senator Al Lawson, the Florida State University President T.K. Wetherell, Tallahassee Community College President Bill Law and Hurley Booth, principal of the Booth Properties.

Each of the students honored was awarded $5,000 for housing for a year at the Booth property where they reside. The applications came in by the hundreds but only 18 students were chosen. The students had to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA and were judged on an essay they were required to write describing a special attribute or accomplishment that set them apart.

The winners of the scholarships ranged from freshmen to graduate students attending FSU, Florida A&M University and Tallahassee Community College.

for more

Related: Booth Properties Kicks out FAMU Students

Booth Properties Awards FSU Students

Local students awarded free housing for a year from Booth Properties

Ashley Bechtloff

Booth Properties awarded 18 local students more than $90,000 in scholarships Monday, Aug. 27 at a scholarship dinner.

The dinner was held at the University Center Club and featured special guests such as Senator Al Lawson, the Florida State University President T.K. Wetherell, Tallahassee Community College President Bill Law and Hurley Booth, principal of the Booth Properties.

Each of the students honored was awarded $5,000 for housing for a year at the Booth property where they reside. The applications came in by the hundreds but only 18 students were chosen. The students had to have a minimum of a 3.5 GPA and were judged on an essay they were required to write describing a special attribute or accomplishment that set them apart.

The winners of the scholarships ranged from freshmen to graduate students attending FSU, Florida A&M University and Tallahassee Community College.

for more

Related: Booth Properties Kicks out FAMU Students

• 3 months later...

I don't think we've discussed it here yet, so I thought I would ask. Have any of you heard details about the funding shortages going on, or being anticipated at FSU?

My husband learned in a meeting last week where it was announced his department is altering their course schedule for the summer due to budget shortfalls. They're planning on cancelling a number of classes which will leave several Graduate Assistants without any summer income as they won't have a class to teach, in addition to loweing the amount paid for each course taught. They are also considering the possibility of only admitting a new graduate cohort every other year. Despite the money this will save them, they are anticipating they still aren't going to have enough money in the department to cover their budget.

I don't know if these shortfalls are the same across the board, but if this is the case, it seems like there need to be some pretty drastic changes made somewhere. I don't know how it will affect others, but we depend on that income to pay the bills and I'm sure a lot of others are in the same situation. Particularly since Graduate students are urged not to seek outside employment.

Rachiroo that's horrible news for you guys personally and for the advancement of FSU. I mean how do they ever expect to obtain AAU status if they cut back on this type of stuff? I know it's not their complete fault, they are just dealing w/FL's lack of concern for the future of this state...it's more about pandering to the needs of retirees and of course they won't even be around in 15 years.

I'd rather see FSU and UF spend what little funds they have on graduate, research and doctoral programs and leave the diploma mills to the "commuter schools."

Rachiroo, there was a "teaser" article today in the Democrat that briefly touches on this issue.

Did you see it?

Rachiroo that's horrible news for you guys personally and for the advancement of FSU. I mean how do they ever expect to obtain AAU status if they cut back on this type of stuff? I know it's not their complete fault, they are just dealing w/FL's lack of concern for the future of this state...it's more about pandering to the needs of retirees and of course they won't even be around in 15 years.

I'd rather see FSU and UF spend what little funds they have on graduate, research and doctoral programs and leave the diploma mills to the "commuter schools."

Rachiroo, there was a "teaser" article today in the Democrat that briefly touches on this issue.

Did you see it?

Archived