School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know of at least three proposals (if approved and implemented) that FSU is pursuing which will only enhance the upswing of the manufacturing sector in the Capital Region discussed in today's Democrat:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...mplate=printart

A $100 million biomass plant to be built on FSU's property (if approved) would generate electricity via cleaner organic materials instead of fossil fuel. It is hopeful that the biomass plant would provide more impetuous (and fuel) to a proposed hydrogen research center at FSU. Also in the works is a $ 4 million Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials which will also find a home at FSU. Could these developments provide the synergy needed for diversifying our economy? Well, we can only hope so! :)

Even more important is that all of these "possibilities" will be located here in Tallahassee. :P

I know of at least three proposals (if approved and implemented) that FSU is pursuing which will only enhance the upswing of the manufacturing sector in the Capital Region discussed in today's Democrat:

http://www.tdo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...mplate=printart

A $100 million biomass plant to be built on FSU's property (if approved) would generate electricity via cleaner organic materials instead of fossil fuel. It is hopeful that the biomass plant would provide more impetuous (and fuel) to a proposed hydrogen research center at FSU. Also in the works is a $ 4 million Center of Excellence in Advanced Materials which will also find a home at FSU. Could these developments provide the synergy needed for diversifying our economy? Well, we can only hope so! :)

Even more important is that all of these "possibilities" will be located here in Tallahassee. :P

I'm not sure if anyone here knows anything about dorms. I heard a few thing about Degraff, but again can't verify anything. It sounds silly, but I know about the buildings and the condition and night life of each but I don't know the names of them.

Are you a student or future student? To be honest with you getting an apartment is the way to go. The cost/benefit ratio favors apartments or any other type of rental. Just IMO though.

PVDUDE-- I lived in Gilchrist my freshman year, three years ago. It is a really nice dorm and was a lot of fun to live in. Everything is clean and you get a bathroom that is linked to your room. Also, the dorm rooms are bigger than many of the other dorms around campus. I know people who lived in Broward and all of them liked it as well. Degraff and Wildwood I do not know anything about.

Also, has anyone been to Milwaukee and seen Marquette's campus? The signage there at the entrance to campus is very nice. I have pics of it somewhere I will have to find. It looks similar to the pic TJ just posted.

Greetings from Miami! :D

I'm here for the break and I visited UM and FIU today. FIU's campus has grown so much over the past 5 years it's not even funny. There are several things that FSU could learn from the Panthers. First of all, Oglesby Union is a total dump compared to FIU's Graham Center. Graham Center is totally enclosed and is fashioned like the wing of a mall, only much brighter. It's much more cohesive and traffic generating than Oglesby. I really enjoy Graham Center and spent a lot of time there during my high school years.

Another thing FSU could learn from the Panthers..........get a new library! Strozier is a s***hole compared to the Green Library. Green is 7 stories tall with lots of open spaces, study areas, and it's modern, clean and tidy. FSU is how much bigger than FIU, yet has a smaller library? The people at Green were very helpful and nice.......try getting that at Strozier!

Walking through FIU made me regret coming to FSU for a second. After thinking about it I think I made the right choice by coming here, but FIU is definitely up and coming. I'm really excited for its future. And despite what you might hear, it is a high quality institution.

Well that's my rant for the day. Hope everyone is well, will be back in Tally on the 30th.

Could you snap us a few pictures while you're down there. I'd love to see these great things you tell us about.

As for the critique of FSU's library, I'm actually satisified with it. Being older, and more established than FIU, there are going to be things about FSU that are outdated and obsolete. Sure I think we could work on the friendly service in the library, it seems lately that's become somewhat of a city-wide problem (good customer service), but the facility itself is ok.

Now as far as the union is concerned, I think you're on to somethere there. I think would be nice if it were more like an enclosed mall instead of breezway style. It seems that would provide adequate protection from the elements, and encourage students to explore the vendors a bit more.

Imagine an enclosed mall with the current food court facilties, the ice cream shop, the bowling alley, the computer store, the bagel shop, quiznos, the smoothie place, the Wednesday vendors. That would be awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived