Big News For Little Rock National Airport

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are correct about XNA having much more business-centric traffic, as opposed to SGF's largely leisure traffic. However, SWA handles LOTS of business traffic, and I think they would be much more swayed by the growing size of the NWA market as opposed to Springfield, which will be passed (or has already been passed) in size by NWA.

Springfield-Branson's emplanement numbers are closer to LIT's than XNA's and are growing just as XNA is. I think the main difference between the two is that Springfield's airport really covers a big region - all of SW Missouri and parts of Arkansas (Harrison, etc) while XNA really has a service area limited to NWA and possibly Ft Smith, XNA is hurt quite a bit by Tulsa's airport being so close. Most Ft Smith residents drive to Tulsa to fly.

With the slow emergence of the 100 seat RJs, it would appear that LR is destined to be serviced almost entirely by RJs, with the lone exception being Southwest. Considering the pressure that Southwest, Jetblue and others are putting on the large carriers to increase point to point service, the hub and spoke system is under pressure, although I don't know that it ever will be completely done away with. In any event, LR does not deliver the numbers to any individual location to warrant larger aircraft in terms of point to point travel and really averages just about the right amount for 100 seat jets. At 2.5 million passengers, that equates to 6,850 passengers a day or 6 flights per hour (which isn't much) assuming 100 passengers and a 12 hour day. So, while people don't like RJs because the older versions are smaller and less comfortable, it's really the only thing that makes sense for the foreseeable future.

As an aside, the newer 100 seat RJs are quite a bit more comfortable, so hopefully people won't miss the mainline jets as much in the future. However, one only needs to remember the turboprops to be thankful for the RJs....

The only airline I know that has 100 seat aircraft is JetBlue and they don't fly here. Unless airlines can make a deal with their pilots there won't be any E-190's anytime soon. NWA recently ordered some E-175's and CRJ- 900's, those are only 76 seats cause that is the most they can have under the "Airlink" brand.

I do wish that airlines will get on the ball and start ordering some E190/195's like US Airways but one can only wish... ^_^

I think the point is not what is on the tail, but whether it is a larger aircraft in the 120+ seat range (i.e. NOT RJ's). As a person who is 6'-6", I can assure you the size of the aircraft is of issue to me.

I think the point is not what is on the tail, but whether it is a larger aircraft in the 120+ seat range (i.e. NOT RJ's). As a person who is 6'-6", I can assure you the size of the aircraft is of issue to me.

With all due respect to architect, being six inches shorter I'm all about more direct flights, more departure times, and more destinations. If that means I have to take a regional jet so be it.

Directs to places like Vegas, NYC, Chicago, Denver and Orlando from LIT are gold. Losing a day by having to connect and spend 8 hours in the air and in airports is no way to spend the first day and last day of a vacation.

You can now purchase tickets to IAD and DEN on United starting in September. :) I believe there are two flights to DEN and one to IAD. They are both operated with ERJ-145's.

BTW, we lost the battle for the Delta flight to DCA, but we are getting IAD service so it really doesn't matter.

You can now purchase tickets to IAD and DEN on United starting in September. :) I believe there are two flights to DEN and one to IAD. They are both operated with ERJ-145's.

BTW, we lost the battle for the Delta flight to DCA, but we are getting IAD service so it really doesn't matter.

This is great news for LIT especially since United has said that it plans to reduce domestic capacity this year. Getting direct flights to Dulles and the added service to Denver will enhance the traveling experience. Frontier must have known this was coming since they recently added the third flight. Hopefully if everything goes well with the United flights, one they will stick around (isn't this the third time they have entered the market) and second they will add a direct flight to LA.

Do any of you know what aircraft they will be utilizing for these flights? I would think it would have to be either a CRJ-200 or a CRJ-700

From my website linked below.

United Express CRJ-200:

original.jpg

United Express CRJ-700:

original.jpg

Do any of you know what aircraft they will be utilizing for these flights? I would think it would have to be either a CRJ-200 or a CRJ-700

Well Lexy...when I searched for flights on the United website, it showed seating charts for the Embraer RJ model. I believe it was the 145. And this was for flights to D.C. and Denver. I guess they are going to see how the flights workout and then upgrade if it is better than expected. To be honest, I didn't know they had the ERJ models. But, I bet the service to D.C. upgrades fast. It's one of the destinations that Little Rock has been waiting for.

Well Lexy...when I searched for flights on the United website, it showed seating charts for the Embraer RJ model. I believe it was the 145. And this was for flights to D.C. and Denver. I guess they are going to see how the flights workout and then upgrade if it is better than expected. To be honest, I didn't know they had the ERJ models. But, I bet the service to D.C. upgrades fast. It's one of the destinations that Little Rock has been waiting for.

Archived