Big News For Little Rock National Airport

Damn, you beat me to it. I have no problems with Little Rock getting a flight to Guadalajara, it's the second largest city in Mexico and seems perfect for the market. I think NWA deserves a shot at one as well, seeing as how the Hispanic Population in the 4 county metro is around 55,000 and with Wal-Mart.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, you beat me to it. I have no problems with Little Rock getting a flight to Guadalajara, it's the second largest city in Mexico and seems perfect for the market. I think NWA deserves a shot at one as well, seeing as how the Hispanic Population in the 4 county metro is around 55,000 and with Wal-Mart.

The funny thing is, right now the flight from XNA to Mexico makes more sense. In a decade, though, Little Rock will make more sense.

Does Frontier fly to XNA?

The funny thing is, right now the flight from XNA to Mexico makes more sense. In a decade, though, Little Rock will make more sense.

Nope, no low-fare currently flies to XNA, simply because their is no terminal space. They've been approached by Jetblue, Frontier, and Airtran in the past few years for service, but immediately change their minds simply because their is no counter space and no gate space. Fortunately, XNA is about ready to start expansion on the terminal which is going to include 50% more counter space and 9 actual arm gates.

Little Rock is a real possiblity for Mexican air service because of the consulate located there. They're in a good position too in that they will be building the new terminal soon, which will be the perfect time to ensure that a US customs area is included in the plans. Speaking of plans, last month, the airport commission approved the $5 million needed to complete the study on the new terminal. I know it's been stated before, but the estimated cost of a new terminal is $230 million.

The consulate isn't that big of a factor. It helps a bit, but it's not going to be bringing in a lot of people. 1 or 2 people a week might sit on flights for the consulate.

You are right about the customs area. You must have one in order to have international flights.

The consulate isn't that big of a factor. It helps a bit, but it's not going to be bringing in a lot of people. 1 or 2 people a week might sit on flights for the consulate.

You are right about the customs area. You must have one in order to have international flights.

I would bet that the consulate itself doesn't generate much traffic but the effect it has on bringing Latinos to the area will.

I would bet that the consulate itself doesn't generate much traffic but the effect it has on bringing Latinos to the area will.

I'm still wondering why the consulate wasn't built up in Northwest Arkansas. The Latino population is 55,000 in the four county metro, not to mention that my area is reaching the top 90 largest Latino Markets in America. I guess Huckabee had something to do with it. Hopefully one will be built in Springdale or Rogers someday.

I'm still wondering why the consulate wasn't built up in Northwest Arkansas. The Latino population is 55,000 in the four county metro, not to mention that my area is reaching the top 90 largest Latino Markets in America. I guess Huckabee had something to do with it. Hopefully one will be built in Springdale or Rogers someday.

Well, there are a couple of reasons I can think of:

1) The consulate needs to work closely with state and federal government agencies in the interest of its citizens and these agencies are in the state capital

2) There are probably around 130,000 Hispanics in the state in all (plus at times larger numbers of migrant laborers) and it's a central location for those scattered around the state

3) Easily accessible location via freeways and airport

4) Everyone assumes that there will be a massive Hispanic influx throughtout the state over the next decade or two

5) LULAC's presence in Little Rock

Honestly, though, part of this is no doubt the presence of "better" politicians. NWA's local politicians would be more concerned about which city would get it than getting it in the first place

I'm not very well versed in these types of things, but is the expected influx of Hispanics to Arkansas over the next decade going to be a positive for the city, or a drain on the economy?

I doubt it will be drain on the economy. Otherwise America as a whole would have been in bad shape throughout the centuries. ...Maybe my thoughts are a bit premature at this point.

I'm not very well versed in these types of things, but is the expected influx of Hispanics to Arkansas over the next decade going to be a positive for the city, or a drain on the economy?

If these Hispanics are here LEGALLY, find work, and pay taxes, then it can only be good. I'm all for immigration... let's just make sure they're legal. :thumbsup:

It could be mixed.

Johnny, in California Hispanics are often seen as a drain on the economy. There's a precedent for his question.

It's a mixed bag. It would provide growth that the area needs and more willing and cheaper labor, especially for construction, landscaping, etc. The low cost of living despite a high standard of living in Texas cities is probably tied into imported Hispanic labor. The downside is a drain on schools and hospitals and higher crime. The problem is the downside usually happens as much as a generation after the initial immigration. It's clearly not affecting NWA much yet.

Guys, the long and short of it is that the LR population is twice that of NWA and the total passenger count is more than twice tha of XNA - though NWA is increasing. What happens in a decade that would change the LR scenario?

If these Hispanics are here LEGALLY, find work, and pay taxes, then it can only be good. I'm all for immigration... let's just make sure they're legal. :thumbsup:

It could be mixed.

Johnny, in California Hispanics are often seen as a drain on the economy. There's a precedent for his question.

It's a mixed bag. It would provide growth that the area needs and more willing and cheaper labor, especially for construction, landscaping, etc. The low cost of living despite a high standard of living in Texas cities is probably tied into imported Hispanic labor. The downside is a drain on schools and hospitals and higher crime. The problem is the downside usually happens as much as a generation after the initial immigration. It's clearly not affecting NWA much yet.

Thanks for the explainations. I've never really spent the time to study much about the influence of immigration on economics, mostly because it never really applied to me, but it obviously will over the next 10 years and beyond. I guess the real concern is what kind of impact will this have on our society if the majority of them become content in the poorer neighborhoods and areas of the city? On the other hand, if the Hispanics come to America with the same attitude as many of the immigrants of the 1800's, then I believe this era of our history could become a success.

Guys, the long and short of it is that the LR population is twice that of NWA and the total passenger count is more than twice tha of XNA - though NWA is increasing. What happens in a decade that would change the LR scenario?

Yeah, but you and I probably won't be on those flights to Guadalajara and the Mexicans in NWA far outnumber those in this part of the state.

As far as the overall airport, though, XNA will never rival LIT. XNA is surrounded by airports in Springfield and Tulsa and Ft Smith has a few regional flights. Therefore it really just serves a handful of counties. Little Rock serves far more than its MSA, it probably provides service to at least 1.75 million residents (remember there are a million people within 50 miles of Little Rock).

What would happen in a decade that would change the LR scenario? If you believe the hype it will mean a large number of Hispanics in Central Arkansas that would provide the base for these flights to Mexico. I could see 50,000 Hispanics coming to the region over the next 10-15 years.

Yeah, but you and I probably won't be on those flights to Guadalajara and the Mexicans in NWA far outnumber those in this part of the state.

As far as the overall airport, though, XNA will never rival LIT. XNA is surrounded by airports in Springfield and Tulsa and Ft Smith has a few regional flights. Therefore it really just serves a handful of counties. Little Rock serves far more than its MSA, it probably provides service to at least 1.75 million residents (remember there are a million people within 50 miles of Little Rock).

What would happen in a decade that would change the LR scenario? If you believe the hype it will mean a large number of Hispanics in Central Arkansas that would provide the base for these flights to Mexico. I could see 50,000 Hispanics coming to the region over the next 10-15 years.

Gotcha. Is there a study that has projected that, or is that just speculation by posters here?

Gotcha. Is there a study that has projected that, or is that just speculation by posters here?

There are studies that predict that the area will have big gains in Hispanic population. The number I pulled out of my arse. There are way too many variables to do anything but guesstimate, especially concerning the job market. It's hard to really even say how many Hispanics actually live here now, which I am guessing are significantly more than the census estimates based on changes you see in Southwest LR.

There are studies that predict that the area will have big gains in Hispanic population. The number I pulled out of my arse. There are way too many variables to do anything but guesstimate, especially concerning the job market. It's hard to really even say how many Hispanics actually live here now, which I am guessing are significantly more than the census estimates based on changes you see in Southwest LR.

Did any one else watch the 5pm Kark interview with the airport manager today? According to the manager, he wouldn't be surprised to have flights to Canada soon after the start of flights to Mexico.

Canada seems a bit out of reach to me. Memphis is so close enough to Little Rock, and it's Northwest Flights fly to Canada. Markets like Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Birmingham, etc are markets larger than Little Rock's that don't have flights to Canada. Of course, I've already been suprised at the Mexico flight, so who knows?

Aporkalypse is right. The consulate will also be a regional draw as well. I was reading the Memphis Commercial Appeal a few weeks ago and they had an article about the consulate opening in Little Rock and how Latinos and Latino businesses from Memphis would be coming here to do busines with/through the consulate.

As others have mentined, LR won't get flights to Mexico or any other international destination until the new terminal is built and a customs area is included. Maybe Frontier will add the flight to Mexico. It has been expanding its service options to Mexico from different cities.

Canada seems a bit out of reach to me. Memphis is so close enough to Little Rock, and it's Northwest Flights fly to Canada. Markets like Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Birmingham, etc are markets larger than Little Rock's that don't have flights to Canada. Of course, I've already been suprised at the Mexico flight, so who knows?

According the the Democrat Gazette, Arkansas does much more business with Canada than with Mexico. By the way, Memphis already has Mexico flights as well (I've been on them). Once customs and border security is in place, it would make sense for Canada to weigh the possibilities.

According the the Democrat Gazette, Arkansas does much more business with Canada than with Mexico. By the way, Memphis already has Mexico flights as well (I've been on them). Once customs and border security is in place, it would make sense for Canada to weigh the possibilities.

I know Memphis flies to Mexico. I'm just pointing out that they're are other markets much larger than Little Rock or Arkansas for that matter that deserve flights to Canada.

More airport news... this time from Raytheon:

Looks like they'll be adding another 150 jobs, bringing their total to 800 in LR. They will also be spending $16 million on a new hangar and expanding their production by an additional 30 planes per year.

KATV story

Excellent news, that's 350 new airport jobs announced within the last month. The airport is now limited by space, I really think they expansion needs to be pushed as rapidly as possible as Raytheon and Dassault-Falcon both are doing well and other companies are interested. Manufacturing jobs are very hard to find (Ft Smith just lost another 700 at Whirlpool) and to have an industry that pays well like this is golden. Little Rock needs to be as aggressive as possible about expanding the aerospace industry.

I'm with mcheiss, Canadian flights are a little far-fetched right now. I could ultimately see several flights to Mexico, though.

Archived