Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

I just hope that the first thing I see when I go outside in the morning won't be the back of WalMart up the hill. I am pretty sure that there is a tree buffer planned to prevent this though.

Well...You'll probably have at least 5 or 6 Crepe Myrtles to block your view of any new stores. They really like those trees around here & I believe Poonther is actually the one in charge of all that...Ha! :)

Seriously though, I really do hope you & your neighbors receive sufficient buffering from all the new development headed to your area.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the new plan calls for giving me $100k or a fancy new flying car, I'm all for it. :D

OK, fine. I admit that the very idea of Costco being two blocks away is making it very hard for me to worry about the traffic or the evil that is WalMart. I just hope that the first thing I see when I go outside in the morning won't be the back of WalMart up the hill. I am pretty sure that there is a tree buffer planned to prevent this though.

That would be the plan. The only catch is how long it takes for the trees to grow in to truly be a buffer between WP and Fallschase..

Well...You'll probably have at least 5 or 6 Crepe Myrtles to block your view of any new stores. They really like those trees around here & I believe Poonther is actually the one in charge of all that...Ha! :)

Seriously though, I really do hope you & your neighbors receive sufficient buffering from all the new development headed to your area.

You are right Glenn, 5 or 6 "hat-racked" crappy myrtles in January provide an excellent landscaping buffering screen. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The next meeting on Fallschase is on Thursday. What's being looked at is subphases 1-3 of the commercial section, meaning the Super Wal-Mart, the Costco, and the other big box building that is supposed to hold 4 or 5 stores, depending on how they cut the thing. Also at the table is the internal road network for the commercial area of Fallschase, including the road in the back of the stores that connects to Weems Rd.

The next meeting on Fallschase is on Thursday. What's being looked at is subphases 1-3 of the commercial section, meaning the Super Wal-Mart, the Costco, and the other big box building that is supposed to hold 4 or 5 stores, depending on how they cut the thing. Also at the table is the internal road network for the commercial area of Fallschase, including the road in the back of the stores that connects to Weems Rd.

If my amazing calendar abilities are up to speed, that would be the 8th? Where and at what time?

Oh, and thanks for all the updates.

If my amazing calendar abilities are up to speed, that would be the 8th? Where and at what time?

Oh, and thanks for all the updates.

10 AM is when the DRC starts, and Fallschase is 2'nd on the agenda. The meeting is at Growth Management on West Tharpe St behind the Super Wal-mart and next to the radio stations. If you see a bunch of road construction going on, you're probably close.

Just for background information. Costco and Wal-Mart have been under contract with Fallschase for about 4 years now. They where part of the entire development package AIG Baker bought when they purchased Fallschase. It also included 2 different apartment complexes, which now look like they have gotten the axe according to the current plans.

YEA they scrapped the apartment complex's how do we get them to scrap the Walmart. I dont know ANYONE who actually wants this. I live near the area and know one wants this in our back yards. Why is so hard for the planning dept to understand!!?? I have been through this before. I lived in Coral Spring Florida and they wanted to build a walmart across the street. The town was aginst this but the "officials" didnt listen. After a few weeks we had two robberys in the parking lot and a lady was stabbed for her grocerys. Need less to say the adject city blocks from Walmart dimminished rapidly and now is bombarded with Mcdonalds, Taco-hell and Rally's. YUCK!

Sorry for the Rant but had to blow off some steam!! I HATE Walmart.

^ I understand what you are ranting about mracca and pretty much feel the same as you do about Wally-mart. However from a legal and planning side, you can't legislate what specific business goes where. That would be discrimination. From a zoning and usage standpoint, Costco and Wally-mart are the same thing. They qualify for the same type of zoning and probably generate the same number of traffic trips. This is about the only way you can keep a business out. If you tried to remove Wally-mart, the Costco would probably have to go on the same grounds. The only difference I'd see from a zoning standpoint is that Wally-mart is open 24hrs and maybe just maybe there'd be some leg to stand on for it being so close to residential neighborhoods w/the negative being trips to the place so late at night and the lights and noise that generates. But I seriously doubt that's enough to keep them out. Often times a city zoning/planning dept. can take it to them about the appearance of the place and make them get rid of the Wally-mart blue and the tacky signage (like they did on T-ville Rd.) but I'm sure AIG Baker will handle that before they even make it to the city.

I feel your pain, but there isn't much that can be done......and if there was, we'd be opening a Pandora's Box that would have far reaching negative effects.

Poonther is 100% correct regarding planning and zoning regulations.

What Wal-Mart and Costco do for AIG Baker is give them a draw (big box retailer) for other smaller retail customers.

Wal-Mart and Costco create massive amounts of customers, there by spinning off banks, hair salons, and thrift shops. Having a big draw in a strip center increases the rents on all reaming leases, based on available traffic flow.

Look at it this way - if you owned a sports store. Would you want to pay $12.00 per sq/ft of leased space in an area that generates a traffic flow of 5,000 trips per day, or pay $17.00 per sq/ft of leased space for a traffic flow of 35,000 trips per day.

Having big box retailers create more money for developers and a more stabilized business model for small businesses.

Forcing Wal-Mart to meet the same design standards as another retailer locating in Fallschase is your best resolution currently.

Has there been any updates of a retail/lifestyle center as part of the Fallschase development?

I visited Destin last weekend and spent some time at the Destin Commons and got excited that some day Tally might get such a venue. The place was pleasantly crowded, with lots of kids playing in the large interactive fountain, lots of restaurants (including Hard Rock), and some big retail (including Bass Pro Shops).

Destin Commons is worth getting exciting about. It is beautiful!

I'd echo everything Poonther said, and I agree with mracca's feelings about Wal-Mart. I guess if we look on the bright side of things, we no longer have people leaving that side of town to make that longer trip to Wal-Mart on the Parkway on Thomasville road. They'll save gas, and create less congestion on other roads.

Thanks guy for "felling my pain". I typed that post yesterday, but thought I deleted it!!.. lol I am traveling to Miami, Boca Raton and Fort Lauderdale next week, they have some pretty amazing looking Walmarts in the South I will try to get some pics and post them on here to demonstrate some of the designs they are capable of. Some of them are actually pretty nice looking on the outside. I guess if AIG Baker follows suite having a carefully designed Walmart will not be toooo bad.

Quick ? How do I add a Picture for my Profile like my man TaureanJ? :-) I get a message saying that I am not allowed to do this due to admin from Board...

Just for background information. Costco and Wal-Mart have been under contract with Fallschase for about 4 years now. They where part of the entire development package AIG Baker bought when they purchased Fallschase. It also included 2 different apartment complexes, which now look like they have gotten the axe according to the current plans.

This is just the early part of the total Fallschase. The apartments might come later, or be included as some of the townhouses in the Village Center in the later sections of the commercial project.

Forcing Wal-Mart to meet the same design standards as another retailer locating in Fallschase is your best resolution currently.
That would be the game plan, since the project has to meet a specific design standard that AIG and the County are working to resolve. From what little I saw, Wal-Mart is supposed to be the nicest stock Wal-Mart that they have for design with a few modifications on top of that to meet the county requirements.

So maybe this has been asked before, but I'm gonna ask again........What is their time line for the construction of the Costco? No details needed about the Super Wally-mart for me. :)

AIG is saying July of next year, but as always, that is subject to change.

163620402_931e735a54.jpg

I mocked up a quick map of the walmart locations (in green) and proposed walmart locations (in blue). Hopefully I did not miss any or put them in the wrong place.

Looking at this, it seems like people living east of Buck Lake on Mahan would not have easy access to any big box retailers, so I guess that went into their justification.

Looking at this, it seems like people living east of Buck Lake on Mahan would not have easy access to any big box retailers, so I guess that went into their justification.

thetoolman - resident Walmart apologist

btw, it's a little south of your map, but the store in Crawfordville is open for business.

Good map there T-man.

Looks like we're surrounded, so I guess we should surrender???

JB you write and spell very good for someone so young. :)

There is always escape down spring hill road. Though your comment gave me the image of the walmart stores growing legs and lasering everyone a la the "War of the Worlds" movie. :o

Archived