Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

One more thing...

By the end of next month, there should be something, if not in stone, then at least in quick drying cement. By the middle of the month, there should be a big yellow sign (ok, not too big, but you'll understand) out by Fallschase

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed! And truth be told, I dislike Wal-Mart. I shop there, honestly, once a year. The last time I went there was in December, and not even one in Tally.

I would like to see a Kohls or some other department store, instead of a Wal-Mart. Kohls is now expanding into Florida, and they have newly opened stores in Jax and Orlando. It's supposed to be aimed "above" Wal-Mart and K-Mart but "below" JC Penny's and Dillard's.

They have this supercenter store chain in the Midwest called Meijer. I visited one once in Indiana, and it blew me away.............Wal-Mart don't have crap on them! I wish they would expand to Florida.....

I've shopped at Meijer several times in Michigan and to me its just like Wal-Mart with a touch of Target. Only problem, in my opinion, is the prices weren't as low as Wal-Mart and they dominate a market much the same way Wal-Mart does.

Meijer does seem to be a cleaner store, however.

I've shopped at Meijer several times in Michigan and to me its just like Wal-Mart with a touch of Target. Only problem, in my opinion, is the prices weren't as low as Wal-Mart and they dominate a market much the same way Wal-Mart does.

Meijer does seem to be a cleaner store, however.

I will vouch for Meijer as being better than Wal-Mart. I never shop at Wal-Mart and hate to even go in one. I live in Lexington, Ky, and we have 2 Meijers in addition to 3 or so Wal-Marts and one more being built. I have never been to a CostCo, but from what I hear it would be one better than Meijer. Anyway, I enjoy Meijer because they carry a lot of organic items that I can't find at Wal-Mart and they pay their workers better than Wal-Mart. I know they run off of the same concept and they are both not great for local business. I just wish people weren't so lazy and would seek out their local suppliers over the Wal-Marts, Meijers, and CostCos. Until they stop selling, they are going to keep coming and the consumers are the ones responsible for driving their profits. We are all somewhat guilty, myself included, for their dominance of the market. Shop places like New Leaf and Publix. They may be more expensive, but it contributes to a better quality of life. Sorry for the rant, but I really hate Wal-Mart and think TAlly has way too many already.

TJ, Fallschase's commercial component is on. Our office recieved the preliminary plans on Wednesday afternoon. No names presented on the document, but we know a few things based on AIG Baker's website (Costco and Super Wal-Mart), and a couple more based on the original development agreement (Drugstore at the first entrance off of Mahan, Theater). The project will be built in 10 phases with the two big stores being the first things on the adgenda.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't argue with the AIG Baker website clearly indicating a Super WalMart. However, our Weems HOA people told us last month that they did not know what major store would wind up there, but the AIG Baker people told them something to the effect of "If you can tolerate a WalMart there, you will be very happy with this." Maybe they meant that we will be happy with the look of this WalMart (as long as we can get passed the idea of living next to a walmart), as opposed to this will be better than a WalMart. We were led to believe that they meant the latter (that it will be something better than WalMart), but our board members may have misunderstood what they were being told.

I will be very upset if there is a Super WalMart two blocks from my home. I will be ecstatic if there is a CostCo. Wish I had read the boards here before we finally broke down and joined Sams a couple days ago.

As a Weems owner (for all of one year), I am very hopeful that the end result of all this will be positive. My primary concern is traffic. If I take Mahan home from work, I get to wait through 4 or 5 light cycles at Cap Circle already. I don't want to see that number double as traffic backs up to Blair Stone. If I go the back way to Weems by turning off Cap Circle onto Easterwood, I get stuck behind all the Buck Lake residents who think Weems Rd. is a shortcut to Mahan. Also, the commercial complex is going to have a road leading out onto Weems. I just don't want to see traffic backed up on Weems, Easterwood, and even towards Park on Cap Circle. If I wanted to spend 30-45 minutes commuting, I would have purchased something in one of the Killearns.

Hopefully, the first road improvement will be a right-turn lane Northbound on Cap Circle so that Weems won't be a shortcut anymore. After that, a bike lane and sidewalk along Weems will seal the deal for me. Apparently, we will have walking access to the commercial center, so I am looking forward to that.

Anyhow, thought you might want some input from ignorant Bubba.

I should also add that traffic is a particular concern of mine because I commute on a scooter. Besides breathing in more SUV waste during gridlock, more cars on the road means more people who seem to think that scooters and motorcycles are figments of their imagination as opposed to a reason to stay in your own lane.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Tallahassee Bahmo !!! :yahoo:

Glad you joined us. I understand your concerns about traffic on Mahan, hopefully through the efforts of the Fallschase Developers, the City, County, and State, we can make this new growth as smooth as possible.

Thanks for the welcome. I should have said something when I originally joined last November, but I guess better late than never.

I am sure that things will eventually work themselves out with Fallschase and the roads. I am just worried that it won't be fully resolved for 5+ years (about the time that we will need to be looking for someplace bigger). Not much fun if you spend 5 of 6 years fighting traffic and road construction.

Living off of Weems is great, except that we are wholly dependent on that one road. That's all we have, and it already floods by the tracks during heavy rains. If there is a road leading to the shopping center and Fallschase homes off of Weems and the Buck Lake residents continue to use Weems to avoid waiting at Mahan and Cap Circle to turn right onto Mahan, please make sure that the Red Cross is sent periodically to our development, as we won't be able to get in or out except on foot and may need some supplies. :shok:

Thanks for the welcome. I should have said something when I originally joined last November, but I guess better late than never.

I am sure that things will eventually work themselves out with Fallschase and the roads. I am just worried that it won't be fully resolved for 5+ years (about the time that we will need to be looking for someplace bigger). Not much fun if you spend 5 of 6 years fighting traffic and road construction.

Living off of Weems is great, except that we are wholly dependent on that one road. That's all we have, and it already floods by the tracks during heavy rains. If there is a road leading to the shopping center and Fallschase homes off of Weems and the Buck Lake residents continue to use Weems to avoid waiting at Mahan and Cap Circle to turn right onto Mahan, please make sure that the Red Cross is sent periodically to our development, as we won't be able to get in or out except on foot and may need some supplies. :shok:

Bahmo, call my office.

Is there a secret to looking at other member's profiles? I keep getting error messages.

I didn't see anything in the welcome thread. Looks like he wasn't down here yet when he posted there.

[Edit: It sounds like he works for the County in some capacity based on the welcome thread and his link to the fun city and county maps website.]

Well, I reached 10 and unlocked all the secret mysteries. I guess the hazing comes later. Nothing of note in psycuda's info. However, earlier posts of his suggested that he was coming down here to work for the county or state, not the city, so it would appear that he works for the county. Makes sense that he is with the transportation dept.

If the new plan calls for giving me $100k or a fancy new flying car, I'm all for it. :D

OK, fine. I admit that the very idea of Costco being two blocks away is making it very hard for me to worry about the traffic or the evil that is WalMart. I just hope that the first thing I see when I go outside in the morning won't be the back of WalMart up the hill. I am pretty sure that there is a tree buffer planned to prevent this though.

Archived