Growth: Fallschace

cityboy05

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read a document that compared Fallschase to another community I had seen before and liked. I'm not sure what the name of this community was or where it is located. But I'd be very interested in getting some pictures of it to share. I do have some pictures of Fallschase as drawn for the County Commissioners on my computer at home. I don't think they are UrbanPlanet quality, however, which is why I haven't shared them. But I'm trying to contact the representitive over the community so that I might get some information and maybe some more pictures of what we can expect.

Fallschase will have to come before the County Commission once more to get the final design and master plan approved for the community. This will mean the way the buildings look at well as the actual layout of the community. It should be another exciting County Commission meeting.

Do you know when this is going to take place. Or is there a list of meeting I can look at on the web?

• 1 month later...

I'm not up to fresh on the County Commission Agenda. But I'd look for it to appear sometime in the month of March.

They're just about ready to bring the plans for phase one of the project (the retail) to my office to go through that process. When their project gets onto an agenda I'll let y'all know

• 4 weeks later...

Dig this everyone...

Just browsing some of the project websites I stumbled upon Fallschase's hint of what they hope to bring to Tallahassee:

Retail Demand Tallahassee , particularly its northeastern suburbs, has traditionally been underserved due to extraordinary development/entitlement barriers to entry. Anchored by the only Costco :D in the region and a Super Wal-Mart :sick: which expect to exceed $200,000,000 in retail sales revenue, Fallschase will provide a true regional draw and will be a

Will this affect the Super Wal-Mart on the Parkway? Fallschase is really only a very short distance away from Tally's existing East side Super Wal-Mart.

It probably will, but Wal-Mart is to the point now that they will begin caniballizing their other stores because they've gotten such penetration (Over 95 % of all americans live within 15 minutes of a Wal-Mart, according to a recent study)

COSTCO???? Don't be yankin' my chain TJ! :P

Costco is the store I think we need most or at least I need it most. When is this retail proposed to be built? When I first moved up from S. FL that was one of the stores I knew I'd miss the most. Locals told me don't' worry we've got Sam's (I'd never been in one) and it's about the same thing. Well I took one step in at Sam's (old location on N. Monroe) and I knew it couldn't even come close. That was the first and last time I was in Sam's...although I'm told the new one on CC is better. Even though I'm not a huge fan of big box national retailers, Costco is a good corporation. Not only do they have awesome stores w/great merchandise, but they also pay their workers an actual living wage w/ great benefits that the workers can actually live off of and support their families....unlike their hillbilly cousin competitor.

Funny that they are courting Wally-mart too. I don't think I've ever seen a Costco and Wally-mart together, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Surely if they build a Wally-mart there, the one on the P'way will close. That's all we need is another dead Wally-mart in town. Just when we finally fill up the other dead ones, they are about to give us one more.

I guess this retail area will not be Tally's upscale center. Looks like that might happen at the new Southside/St. Joe development.

COSTCO???? Don't be yankin' my chain TJ! :P

Costco is the store I think we need most or at least I need it most. When is this retail proposed to be built? When I first moved up from S. FL that was one of the stores I knew I'd miss the most. Locals told me don't' worry we've got Sam's (I'd never been in one) and it's about the same thing. Well I took one step in at Sam's (old location on N. Monroe) and I knew it couldn't even come close. That was the first and last time I was in Sam's...although I'm told the new one on CC is better. Even though I'm not a huge fan of big box national retailers, Costco is a good corporation. Not only do they have awesome stores w/great merchandise, but they also pay their workers an actual living wage w/ great benefits that the workers can actually live off of and support their families....unlike their hillbilly cousin competitor.

Funny that they are courting Wally-mart too. I don't think I've ever seen a Costco and Wally-mart together, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. Surely if they build a Wally-mart there, the one on the P'way will close. That's all we need is another dead Wally-mart in town. Just when we finally fill up the other dead ones, they are about to give us one more.

I guess this retail area will not be Tally's upscale center. Looks like that might happen at the new Southside/St. Joe development.

AIG expects to be able to open the retail component of the development by the Summer of 2007. I'd expect more upscale retail to go into the Welaunee Plantation development. Its closer to the interstate, and far enough away (time wise) to give our market a little more time to mature to another major shopping area.

AiT is funny. There is only one God my friend!! You should pray he transforms that Albertsons for you into a whole foods market. Or you can write them a letter and let them know you've found a perfect location for them.

Surely if they build a Wally-mart there, the one on the P'way will close.

The only two option seem to be for the Parkway Wal-Mart to close, or for the two Wal-Mart's to coexist. Is it possible on that side of town could bear that? It's hard to imagine the Parkway Wal-Mart closing, because it doesn't seem like it's been that many years since it was built.

I'm also concerned as to how this will affect the Publix out by the interstate and the Publix in Laffayette Shopping Center. I'd hate to see Publix run out by Wal-Mart.

I'd be less concerned about the Publix. Publix has found its nitch market and isn't going anywhere. Similar concerns were expressed by the citizens in the Bradfordville Community when the new WalMart was built just less than a mile away from the Publix out there. There was an initial slow down at Publix, but people came right back. Publix offers quality, cleanliness, and variety that you just can't get at Wal-Mart.

Two things..........

Why don't we have a Wal-Mart on the southside? We have one on the north, east and west sides of town, but not the south.

Ever notice the straaaange names given to the roads in Fallschase? Mossy Bough, Sperrit Boundin, Hahnsum Kerridge........what the hell is that? I'd like to slip some poison into the coffee that these developers drink, coming up with stooopid road names like that. Imagine what you have to tell your family, friends, and maybe the pizza guy "oh I live at 555 Hanhsum Kerridge". And then you have to spell it properly! Arrgh! :w00t:

If the Wally-mart on the P'way doesn't close and the new one at Fallschase opens, then we can say: Come to Tally metro we've got 6 Super Wally-marts which is one of the highest store to population ratio's at one for every 58K people.

Somehow I don't think that's how we'd like to define ourselves, but I could be wrong...

I'm in the demographic that Wally-mart serves as no thread to my Publix shopping. I'm in Publix once to twice a week, I'm in Wally-mart once or twice a decade.

jpl02 w/the new Supercenter opening in N. Crawforville, isn't that really like having one in Tally's southside? Isn't Wakulla County just our expanded southside? :)

Are those names for Fallschase's Streets from the original proposal back in the 70's or are they from the new developer? I'm w/you, they are odd and silly sounding.

If the Wally-mart on the P'way doesn't close and the new one at Fallschase opens, then we can say: Come to Tally metro we've got 6 Super Wally-marts which is one of the highest store to population ratio's at one for every 58K people.

Somehow I don't think that's how we'd like to define ourselves, but I could be wrong...

I'm in the demographic that Wally-mart serves as no thread to my Publix shopping. I'm in Publix once to twice a week, I'm in Wally-mart once or twice a decade.

jpl02 w/the new Supercenter opening in N. Crawforville, isn't that really like having one in Tally's southside? Isn't Wakulla County just our expanded southside? :)

Are those names for Fallschase's Streets from the original proposal back in the 70's or are they from the new developer? I'm w/you, they are odd and silly sounding.

I forgot about the one in Crawfordville :P

As far as the street names.........those are the names that appear on current maps of the Tally area. Odd and silly sounding indeed!

I could be totally wrong on this but I don't think the Parkway Wal-Mart will close for the following reasons:

1) It sits on the Northern edge of future SouthWood development plus whatever else St Joe decides to develop on all their land holdings in the area like White Fence Farms, Walton Corners, Wescott Lakes, Southside, etc.

2) The current 4 lane divided entrance road at this Wal-Mart is scheduled to eventually extend beyond/beside the store into future SouthWood development. It will intersect with Old St. Augustine Road & the new Orange Avenue as it extends Eastward. St. Joe Development staff have told me in the past that the present SouthWood Plantation Road/Biltmore Avenue (which is presently the East boundry of SouthWood) will extend North & eventually intersect with Apalachee Pkwy at the Wal-Mart. Of course, as we all know to well, everything is subject to change.

3) As Wal-Mart continues to expand (everywhere!) it appears they are starting to build stores closer together with some almost on top of each other. It hasn't happened here, yet, but I do see this trend as I travel around in other parts of the Country. Wonder if they'll just keep building more stores until they implode upon themselves?

4) Just pure speculation here but, if they ever did close the Parkway store it might possibly be to move to the newly proposed Southside development to distance itself somewhat from any new store they build in the Fallschase area.

Its not worth 20-30 minute drive to Crawfordville for us to use the Wal-Mart down there. There should actually be one on the Southside. I'd say Lake Bradford is a good location near Orange Avenue or possibly South Adams or South Monroe near Fair Grounds.

Not to "diss" Southsiders, but don't you think 3 big Wally-marts in town are enough? The one on the P'way is only 15 minutes max. away from most of them.

2 Wal-Marts were enough for me back when it was Tennessee Street and the Old Store at Apalachee Parkway. I'd much rather see Target expand, and allow franchise specialty stores like Toys-R-Us, Circuit City, etc. to expand into new areas. We'd be a mighty bland city if all we could offer was Wal-Mart.

I'm sure the day will come when the city will grow further out into Leon County and there will be demand for another, but Fallschase's timing isn't right for a new Wal-Mart store. Give us a Costco, that would be cool. Another bowling alley would be great since Capital Lanes burned down on that side of town. I'd like to see some Outlet stores also...

Anything but ANOTHER Wal-Mart.

Not to mention, Wal-Mart is still trying to build a store at Old Exit 29 where SAMS used to be.

Agreed TJ & Poonther,

We should be more worried about having more Walmarts than the aspect of not having Walmarts close to every part of town. As urban planning-ophiles, I would think Walmart would be at the at the top of our sh*t list. They are bad for local businesses, local flavor, they kill shopping centers once they pull out for newer digs, etc...

Agreed TJ & Poonther,

We should be more worried about having more Walmarts than the aspect of not having Walmarts close to every part of town. As urban planning-ophiles, I would think Walmart would be at the at the top of our sh*t list. They are bad for local businesses, local flavor, they kill shopping centers once they pull out for newer digs, etc...

Agreed! And truth be told, I dislike Wal-Mart. I shop there, honestly, once a year. The last time I went there was in December, and not even one in Tally.

I would like to see a Kohls or some other department store, instead of a Wal-Mart. Kohls is now expanding into Florida, and they have newly opened stores in Jax and Orlando. It's supposed to be aimed "above" Wal-Mart and K-Mart but "below" JC Penny's and Dillard's.

They have this supercenter store chain in the Midwest called Meijer. I visited one once in Indiana, and it blew me away.............Wal-Mart don't have crap on them! I wish they would expand to Florida.....

Archived