35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

I think the problem is we are looking at other metros and not being creative. I want something that is unique to Norfolk and something that isn't a rip off.

True. Actually, I think that the RBC Tower or something similar but in a more open glass design would look good for the Hilton.

As for the Snyder lot, I'm partial to the L-shape. I'd put a large-diameter, circular tower reminiscent of a lighthouse with alterntating strips of white marble/stone cladding and dark blue-glass windows on the corner of St. Paul and City Hall. This component would be flanked (if possible on the City Hall side) on St. Paul and City Hall by all-glass towers that reach to within 5 floors of the top floor of the circular tower.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True. Actually, I think that the RBC Tower or something similar but in a more open glass design would look good for the Hilton.

As for the Snyder lot, I'm partial to the L-shape. I'd put a large-diameter, circular tower reminiscent of a lighthouse with alterntating strips of white marble/stone cladding and dark blue-glass windows on the corner of St. Paul and City Hall. This component would be flanked (if possible on the City Hall side) on St. Paul and City Hall by all-glass towers that reach to within 5 floors of the top floor of the circular tower.

Now that's what i'm talking about. I can already picture that in my head. :)

I'm not a huge fan of whimsical architecture (think Michael Graves), but with a proximity this close to MacArthur Center, I think it should be fun; something to inspire a good time in our downtown. Cesar Pelli's World Financial Center Towers in NY could possible fit the bill. It's stuffy enough to be a good corporate headquarters, but way more fun than, say, a Mies Van der Rohe. Something in the 500 plus foot range would be nice too. I'm not talking 300 feet with a 200 foot spire either. This should have occupiable floors above 500 feet. I'd like to see some well thought ground level details too. Large buildings really can be boring. How it meets the ground and interacts with the public is arguably more important than height.

The Snyder's Department Store was located there. It was a multi-level store with a great soda fountain. My grandmother used to take me there when I was a kid in the 60's. It was torn down in the early 70's.

We old timers remember Snyder's Department store. I remember going there with my mom in the mid to late 60's.

Let me really freak you young people out, I have a faint memory of getting dressed up in a little suit and bow tie and my mom taking me to afternoon tea at Snyder's. What afternoon tea was I do not remember. Maybe Padman can help me here? ;)

This lot has stood vacant for far too long, I'm glad the city is looking to build something nice and tall there.

We old timers remember Snyder's Department store. I remember going there with my mom in the mid to late 60's.

Let me really freak you young people out, I have a faint memory of getting dressed up in a little suit and bow tie and my mom taking me to afternoon tea at Snyder's. What afternoon tea was I do not remember. Maybe Padman can help me here? ;)

This lot has stood vacant for far too long, I'm glad the city is looking to build something nice and tall there.

Afternoon tea is what people did before they had email to answer and an internet to surf :D .

I vaguely remember Snyders too, just before it was demolished. I agree with those of you who see RBC as a Hilton prototype, although the classic base doesn't work well with the rest of it (IMO). We need something with a true vertical, soaring feeling. A spire isn't necessary, but it's all in the execution. Something suggestive of a sail could work here, but it would take a great architect to pull it off and make it not look like a rip-off of a Dubai hotel.

I like the notion of something soaring on this site, but it will take a skilled architect to make such a building blend in well with Norfolk's rather conservate and boxy skyline. This may just be the Norfolk look rather tall and soaring. I think though something in the 450' to 500' range would work fine here . I know people want taller but I don't think a 600' tower would look right. The Bank of America Tower in Charlotte, NC for instance looks out of place and looks way to big compared to the buildings surrounding it. A seemless and well coordinated skyline says to many people this is a well planned city with leaders and citizens who care.

I like the notion of something soaring on this site, but it will take a skilled architect to make such a building blend in well with Norfolk's rather conservate and boxy skyline. This may just be the Norfolk look rather tall and soaring. I think though something in the 450' to 500' range would work fine here . I know people want taller but I don't think a 600' tower would look right. The Bank of America Tower in Charlotte, NC for instance looks out of place and looks way to big compared to the buildings surrounding it. A seemless and well coordinated skyline says to many people this is a well planned city with leaders and citizens who care.

I guess the WTC towers looked out of place or the Sears tower. They dwarfed everything around them.

I guess the WTC towers looked out of place or the Sears tower. They dwarfed everything around them.

I've been to Charlotte and the BoA didn't look out of place at all to me. It actually helped provide a central focus to the skyline. That's what we lack here and why our skyline is so bland. We don't have a building to center it and focus attention. I think a signature tower on the syder lot will do just that.

I've been to Charlotte and the BoA didn't look out of place at all to me. It actually helped provide a central focus to the skyline. That's what we lack here and why our skyline is so bland. We don't have a building to center it and focus attention. I think a signature tower on the syder lot will do just that.

Oh I see what your saying the B of A tower in Charlotte is sort smack dab in the center of the skyline therefore giving a central point to the skyline that draws the eye. I like Charlottes' skyline just fine, but I always thought the B of A tower would look better in Atlanta which has many towers in that hieght range. Lets hope that whatever ends up on the Snyder's lot is striking, but does not overwhelm the other buildings or maybe if it is striking it will begin a trend towards more interesting architecture.

Exactly and they are trying to push DT all the way to Tidewater Dr. This would be a center point and that's why I think the city is pushing strict guildlines on this tower.

Maybe the info is tucked into this thread somewhere, but is there a tenant for this new tower?

Speaking of tea time at Snyder's what was the name of the other department store on Granby? Were there two with Rice in the name of one of them?

None has been announced, this is very prelim. There are several companies looking for more class A office space downtown, which is what spurred this project in the first place. When Trader is finished this fall, all of its space will be spoken for, therefore adding no truly new space to the inventory.

None has been announced, this is very prelim. There are several companies looking for more class A office space downtown, which is what spurred this project in the first place. When Trader is finished this fall, all of its space will be spoken for, therefore adding no truly new space to the inventory.

A possiblity could be Gateway Bank. They said last year when they opened their Ghent branch that they were looking at downtown to open a regional headquarters

Maybe the info is tucked into this thread somewhere, but is there a tenant for this new tower?

Speaking of tea time at Snyder's what was the name of the other department store on Granby? Were there two with Rice in the name of one of them?

The dept. store on Granby with the tea room was Smith and Welton. There was also Rice's, which later merged with Nachman's (Newport News) and became Rice's Nachman's, which was bought by Hess', which for a while was calles Hess's Rice's Nachman's. It was a mouthful to say, particularly if you've got a lisp!

The dept. store on Granby with the tea room was Smith and Welton. There was also Rice's, which later merged with Nachman's (Newport News) and became Rice's Nachman's, which was bought by Hess', which for a while was calles Hess's Rice's Nachman's. It was a mouthful to say, particularly if you've got a lisp!

Hahaha! I bet Smith & Welton was a real pistol! :lol:

HRN spelled out is hard to say even without a lisp!

But they were both good stores. I don't remember Snyders.

So the tower, as of now, is speculative? Is Gateway Bank a regional, statewide or national bank? The low vacancy rate is good news for downtown Norfolk.

So the tower, as of now, is speculative?

To a point. The original article that came out about this a year ago stated (at that time) that there were companies looking for new downtown office space. I imagine we wouldn't even be at this point unless the had some really good prospects who have a firm interest in occupying a new tower. What I gather is that the city is looking for the best possible developer to build this tower, and many proposals have already been thrown their way.

So the tower, as of now, is speculative? Is Gateway Bank a regional, statewide or national bank? The low vacancy rate is good news for downtown Norfolk.

As far as I know they are regional and I believe they are headquartered in North Carolina.

Burt,

Gateway Bank is a local (now becoming reional) bank headquartered in Elizabeth City, NC, the hometown of yours truly. They recently built a large (for this area anyway) operations center just outside of EC. Iknow they have been expanding into Hampton Roads as well as eastern NC. I'm sure they would love to have a corporate presence in DT Norfolk. Not bad for a bunch of fellow "carolinaboys".

It's been too long since I saw it, but my impression was that it was surprisingly open, with lots of displays on the first floor. The merchandise did not impress me, being not a very high end variety. There might have been a mezzanine level, giving it that open feeling, but I'm not sure about that. Also, I could be thinking of Altschuls. It's just been too long.

I was thinking, maybe that HRT building isn't going to be built. Maybe HRT is wanting to be in this building here. It would make sense. They wanted a 12 story building and Gateway bank is wanting to expand in DT and maybe some others. What do you guys think about my thought on this?

I was thinking, maybe that HRT building isn't going to be built. Maybe HRT is wanting to be in this building here. It would make sense. They wanted a 12 story building and Gateway bank is wanting to expand in DT and maybe some others. What do you guys think about my thought on this?

Or maybe we should save the Snyder Lot for a future development and make the site of the proposed HRT building be the site for the city's current request for the next tower. I think a 12-story building is a waste especially with the financial district virtually out of open land.

Archived