35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

Norfolk Southern should propose building a new head quarters here and selling there current building. I always thought there tower should have had more of a prominence in the skyline. This way it would not be too much of a financial burden. Imagine there visibility in this area with a 50 storey tower.

Norfolk Southern doesn't use all of the building they have. A number of the floors are leased to other people (Bank of America I believe).

Most of their operations go down outside of Hampton Roads. Atlanta is a big one. Roanoake has some activity as well AFAIK.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:-)

Actually a target in downtown Norfolk would be awesome, as long as the space above it isn't wasted. I saw a K-Mart in Manhattan, so odd. My friend said "it goes down... there are floors below"

The biggest issue downtown is parking.

The K-mart you are referring to in NYC is located in Astor Place just south of Union Square. Its a multi story kmart and occupies only a portion of the overall space in the building. Anyway, the best use for the lot is another office building. Not wal-mart or target. The benefit to additional office space is an increase in downtown workers, downtown residents, taxes, spending, etc. The benefit from another office tower far outweigh the idea of a big box retailers in every imaginable way. Parking is not a problem considering Norfolk must reduce the number of street and parking garage spaces in order to obtain funding for light rail.

Norfolk Southern doesn't use all of the building they have. A number of the floors are leased to other people (Bank of America I believe).

Most of their operations go down outside of Hampton Roads. Atlanta is a big one. Roanoake has some activity as well AFAIK.

NS just has corporate positions here besides the jobs in the yard. There is alot of employees in Atlanta.

The K-mart you are referring to in NYC is located in Astor Place just south of Union Square. Its a multi story kmart and occupies only a portion of the overall space in the building. Anyway, the best use for the lot is another office building. Not wal-mart or target. The benefit to additional office space is an increase in downtown workers, downtown residents, taxes, spending, etc. The benefit from another office tower far outweigh the idea of a big box retailers in every imaginable way. Parking is not a problem considering Norfolk must reduce the number of street and parking garage spaces in order to obtain funding for light rail.

There is another K-mart in New York City near Macy

there are urban Targets that look relatively well but I wouldn't want one at the expense of another high rise.

Target was once part of the plan for Downtown Plaza... A box-on-box retail center with a Target, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble (I think) all stacked with multi-level parking. That plan was discussed a few years ago before the powers that be realized how to better utilize that land. I just realized how off track I was... sorry. :blush: Maybe the person who thought a Target on the Snyder lot would be a good idea was confusing it with Downtown plaza. There. Back on topic.

Target was once part of the plan for Downtown Plaza... A box-on-box retail center with a Target, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble (I think) all stacked with multi-level parking. That plan was discussed a few years ago before the powers that be realized how to better utilize that land. I just realized how off track I was... sorry. :blush: Maybe the person who thought a Target on the Snyder lot would be a good idea was confusing it with Downtown plaza. There. Back on topic.

Yeah you are referring to the now canceled "Vertical Retail Power Center" that me and Vdogg talked about a while back.

This high rise project is a very big exciting prospect for Norfolk. Congratulations.

Norfolk really needs to get out of the box and have a REAL SIGNATURE TOWER in this space. We need our own US Bank Tower like in LA, Transamerica Pyramid in SF, Bank of America Plaza in ATL, Washington Mutual Tower in Seattle or the proposed 10 Inner Harbor in Baltimore. If we got a top architectural firm to design this project and bring attention to this project it would really help put us on the map as more than just a navy town. And I

You mean this?

busnss.jpg

It's nice, but personally i'd like something a bit more modern. Enough with the throwbacks to bygone eras. I want something sleek, modern, and undeniably powerful for our signature tower. It should scream coporate power and major city.

But we scream railroad transport and meat-packing..... You can make a modern building like the Smith Tower, just add an enormous moder clock tower on it, a dash of nutmeg, and you have the Big Ben of North America and a landmark to use in SimCity 5000. Ugh, is it 5pm yet?

We need something that people can name and know as a landmark (like TransAmerica, Chrysler, Wrigley). something that uniquely speaks to our past, present, or future.

How about the Revolution Center (for the ports war history), MM Tower (for Monitor-Merrimac), or Admiral's Corner

a history question seeing nothing is coming to mind. The Snyder lot, where did it get its name, what use to be on that site?

The Snyder's Department Store was located there. It was a multi-level store with a great soda fountain. My grandmother used to take me there when I was a kid in the 60's. It was torn down in the early 70's.

Check out the proposed RBC Tower on the Raleigh board. I think that would be right inline with the design requirements. Of course, it would need an HR touch.

Nice, but the crown has a spire on it. I don't want spire, I want crown. :lol: I know, i'm being picky, but we only have one chance to get this right.

tyawo.jpg

Archived