35-40 story office building proposed for norfolk

brucewayne

It also says it will be mixed zone so this could inch the height up.

I think it will be in the 600's, but those models don't look all that tall. Granted they don't have a developer yet and Norfolk is pushing for a taller building. I just can't see another 20 something. I do like the idea of a crown on top of the building like the ones in ATL. I guess we will have to wait and see. Even it is mixed use I think it's long over due for something very tall. Maybe Smithfield Foods with all their newly acquired companies can build a HQ with another large area company. Everyone cross your fingers though.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI, after reading the Norfolk Development website, there is NO maximum height for this building. :) There are also renderings of a possible building on the PDF's, but since it is a RPF and they're still waiting for a developer, it is just a concept i'm assuming. It can be hotel, office, or residential.

Yeah, it looks like they're looking for at least 25 stories which is ok but we can do far better. Everytime they mention 25 stories they also mention directly after it that there is "no maximum height limit for this building" which is a phrase that admittedly gives me goosebumps. :D Norfolk has real potential for a fantastic tower here, lets just hope we don't screw this up.

Back to the building height. The document also said the height should be complementing of surrounding buildings. I'm taking that to mean that they don't want a singular giant sticking out amongst all the other financial district high-rises. Dominion Tower is at 340 while BofA and NS are about 300 ft. If the city wants the tower to blend in, then the building would max out at 450/475 ft and be between 25-35 stories. Unless the Hilton and possible towers on the DT Plaza site reach 450/500, then the Snyder building would be alone. Looks like Norfolk wants a varitety of building heights as along as they stay within a 200-300 foot range of one another.

They want it to be a signature tower so it won't be another 150 W. Main or AH Tower but something architecturally significant. That doesn't mean it has to tall.

Back to the building height. The document also said the height should be complementing of surrounding buildings. I'm taking that to mean that they don't want a singular giant sticking out amongst all the other financial district high-rises. Dominion Tower is at 340 while BofA and NS are about 300 ft. If the city wants the tower to blend in, then the building would max out at 450/475 ft and be between 25-35 stories. Unless the Hilton and possible towers on the DT Plaza site reach 450/500, then the Snyder building would be alone. Looks like Norfolk wants a varitety of building heights as along as they stay within a 200-300 foot range of one another.

They want it to be a signature tower so it won't be another 150 W. Main or AH Tower but something architecturally significant. That doesn't mean it has to tall.

Doesn't have to be... But it'd be great if it was. I think 600ish should be the maximum because otherwise it would absolutely dominate the skyline. Unless Hoffler Tower makes an announcement and is comfortably over the 400ish range, then I think this new tower should ideally be in the 500s... Not that I'd complain for more haha. I'm getting goosebumps too :)

Complementing doesn't necessarly deal with the height but with the design of the building or theme. I could be wrong though.

I would be happy with a 20 - 25 story tower in that location. I don't think a large tower is going to be realistic unless we draw a large Fortune 500 company to downtown. I'd also be more impressed with an expansive downtown than one large building (Look at pictures of Mobile, AL). Besides, the quicker the Snyder Lot is developed the sooner redevelopment sweeps east of downtown, which is much needed!

Complementing doesn't necessarly deal with the height but with the design of the building or theme. I could be wrong though.

The exact words are:

"to make sure its scale is compatible with that of other buildings in the City, (specifically those that are adjacent to the property)."

That's why I think it won't go past 500 ft and even be in the 450 ft range. This building, the Granby, and the Hoffler should set the new building height curve, which in time will be surpassed by another set of buildings. It would look very odd to have a 600 ft building surrounded by 300 foot tall ones. Looks better to step up rather than leap in an established city center.

I wholeheartedly agree with every word in your post, vaceltic.

I would be happy with a 20 - 25 story tower in that location. I don't think a large tower is going to be realistic unless we draw a large Fortune 500 company to downtown. I'd also be more impressed with an expansive downtown than one large building (Look at pictures of Mobile, AL). Besides, the quicker the Snyder Lot is developed the sooner redevelopment sweeps east of downtown, which is much needed!

You also have to consider two historic sites that are adjacent to the Snyder Lot. The MacArthur Memorial and the house north of the lot (I forget its name). Coupling those two historic sites along with the Norfolk civic area to the east, it wouldn't be wise from a design standpoint to put a 30+ tower down that will dominate and cast shadows over all three of those lots at various points of the day. I think its safe to say this tower will be another 20 - 25 story imprint on the skyline.

You also have to consider two historic sites that are adjacent to the Snyder Lot. The MacArthur Memorial and the house north of the lot (I forget its name). Coupling those two historic sites along with the Norfolk civic area to the east, it wouldn't be wise from a design standpoint to put a 30+ tower down that will dominate and cast shadows over all three of those lots at various points of the day. I think its safe to say this tower will be another 20 - 25 story imprint on the skyline.

Safe to say? And how would you know?

I don't know, but I feel safe in saying so. :shades:

I'm a little scared by the design guideline PDF that shows the Granby Tower. What happened to the Royster building in it?!

Nothing is going to happen to it. I'll stand in front of the frickin bulldozers if anyone tries to tear down Norfolk's first skyscraper.

I don't think a 30-35 story building would look out of place in downtown considering how BoHR looks taller than it is and the fact that the skyline is starting to get dense. In fact it would provide a nice balance to Granby. Plus, there are other tall buildings that should be a part of the "surroundings" in the next 4-5 years.

In any case, I believe the architectural design will be the key. This site is the first tall building travelers will reach when coming from the east. In a sense it would serve as a welcome to downtown Norfolk. As such, it needs to stand out in its design if not its height. This is especially true if it is to blend in with the McArthur Memorial, St. Paul's, and St. Mary's. (And Popeye's.)

I don't think a 30-35 story building would look out of place in downtown considering how BoHR looks taller than it is and the fact that the skyline is starting to get dense. In fact it would provide a nice balance to Granby. Plus, there are other tall buildings that should be a part of the "surroundings" in the next 4-5 years.

In any case, I believe the architectural design will be the key. This site is the first tall building travelers will reach when coming from the east. In a sense it would serve as a welcome to downtown Norfolk. As such, it needs to stand out in its design if not its height. This is especially true if it is to blend in with the McArthur Memorial, St. Paul's, and St. Mary's. (And Popeye's.)

Agreed, if 30-35 looks out of place there then we might as well chop 15 floors off of Granby and Hoffler respectively because there's nothing around them. I'm all for baby steps but done tastefully I think a tower of 500 feet, no spire, could be done without overwhelming its surroundings. I put 600ft as the max I think we could reasonably get but I do agree with Hoobo that if they are looking for tall and a signature it'll more than likely be between 450-500ft for now (which would still put you in the 35-40 story range). If this project goes mixed use I could easily see 10 floors added to hit 35. Keep in mind, we are in the very early stages of this.

Looking at this statement it really seems as though they're ready for something significant

statement.jpg

The orientation of the tower I like the best. We need to build up our skyline view coming in from 264 and I think that this will help

office1.jpg

Ahh, so much potential :shades:

potential.jpg

It's funny, I guess the red does mean to be demolished because that portion added to the grey lot next to it is the exact footprint of the Hilton. I should truly hope they don't plan on bulldozing royster, that would be a very bad move. I'm as confused as you are about that grey block next to the brambleton tower. I have no idea what that is.

Yes! :yahoo:

City officials have asked developers to submit proposals for two office complexes,including a long-anticipated downtown office tower.

With vacancy rates dipping to 8 percent recently for downtown's nearly 5 million square feet of office space, there has been speculation for more than a year about a new office building.

Damn right it's long anticipated, we started talking about this building well over a year ago (when thankfully Mr. Batts started this thread). It looks like that major building boom we anticipated, with multiple projects under construction at the same time, is finally about to begin. With all the bad news we had from ford et al, its good to see that business still has so much faith in our city. I'm very excited to see where this may take us.

Archived