Newport News Development

urbanfan

Ok according to this Federated and Dillards are still separate entities. This was dated 11/3/05 and was from this source. There was a rumor back in 2002 that federated would buy Dillards but that deal never materialized and they bought Dillards competition instead.

TICKER GENERAL MERCHANDISE TOTAL SALES TOTAL SALES TOTAL SALES

$ MONTH 2005 $ MONTH 2004 % MONTH 2005

BJ BJ's $588.259 M $547.410 M 7.5

BLI Big Lots $333.1 M $317.7 M 4.8

BONT Bon Ton $94.7 M $96.9 M -2.2

CBK Christopher Banks Corp. $50.7 M $46.5 M 9

COST Costco $4.26 B $3.79 B 12

DDS Dillard's Dept. Stores $488.301 M $456.722 M 7

DG Dollar General $639.9 M $591.0 M 8.3

DLTR Dollar Tree

FDO Family Dollar $451.5 M $411.7 M 9.7

FD Federated Department Stores $2.138 B $1.108 B 92.9

FRED Fred's $121.8 M $108.4 M 12

FINL Finish Line

GOT Gottschalks $44.0 M $43.8 M 0.4

JCP JCPenney $1,170 M $1,139 M 2.7

KSS Kohl's $1,119.6 M $958.2 M 16.8

SHRP Sharper Image $25.9 M $29.2 M -11

SKO Shopko Stores $221.5 M $228.7 M -3.2

STGS Stage Stores Inc. $96.3 M $81.7 M 17.9

SBUX Starbucks

SMRT Stein Mart $112.8 M $110.1 M 2.4

TGT Target Corporation $3.694 B $3.311 B 11.6

WMT Wal-Mart

Ok, Hecht's is going to become a MAcy's, not Dillard's, my bad.

Here's the article. But, you have to be a registered user to access it.

www.dailypress.com/business/local/dp-58377sy0jul29,0,6350009. story?coll=dp-entertainment-front&track

I see you left off the Walmart dollars! :rofl::P

That's because they probably couldnt fit on the page.

Ok, Hecht's is going to become a MAcy's, not Dillard's, my bad.

Here's the article. But, you have to be a registered user to access it.

www.dailypress.com/business/local/dp-58377sy0jul29,0,6350009. story?coll=dp-entertainment-front&track

That's because they probably couldnt fit on the page.

A great site for when you dont want to sign up to view newspaper articles and such : www.bugmenot.com.

Hey can anyone tell me about Cowboy Syds? It appears to be a new restaurant in Newport News started by the same guy who use to run the Dumbwaiter in Downtown Norfolk. I would love to go there for brunch on my way to Norfolk this weekend.

I have never eaten there myself but have seen it featured in Portfolio magazine.

Hey can anyone tell me about Cowboy Syds? It appears to be a new restaurant in Newport News started by the same guy who use to run the Dumbwaiter in Downtown Norfolk. I would love to go there for brunch on my way to Norfolk this weekend.

Make sure you have reservations. It is not very big and I believe they don't take walk-ins, however I might be wrong. It is suppose to be very good from what I'm told. It is located in the port warwick section of newport news. There is also a place called schlesingers in port warwick of wich i have been to. Very nice, great food. Upscale though, plan on plopping down 30 bucks a meal. Of course that goes for either restaurant.

It's a new American cuisine restaurant. Gourmet food and food not so gourmet. It has awesome outdoor seating in the heart of Styron Square, and above it are residential balconies garnished with ivy and outdoor patio wear. It is normally busy on weekends. Cowboy Sids and Schleshingers or whatever are kinda pricey. Then there is a Tapas restaurant there also with late-night music and a club/bar atmosphere. Check it out. I hear a food market is on its way to Port Warwick with outdoor stands. Fresh fruit and flowers a short walk from ones home. Port Warwick will have a lot to offer cityfolk looking to move to Hampton Roads especially with talks of light rail and a pedestrian-friendly roundabout between it and City Center.

It is kind of a shame that Macys will be so common. They will quickly lose what is left of their exclusive name.

Macy's is already one of the largest chains without the conversion of MayCo (Hectht's, Strawbridge's, Rob-May) stores to the Macy's nameplate. Macy's has almost as many stores as Dillard's. About 3 years ago when Federated (parent of Macy's and Bloomingdale's) was looking to expand its empire it took a look at Dillard's before settling on acquiring MayCo. In terms of national brand eclusivity, there are only Neimen-Marcus, Sak's, and Bloomingdale's. Macy's and Nordstrom are on a mission to become large upscale brands, basically the Wal-mart and Target of the upper-class. Dillard's could also join those two but it is a mismanaged company.

It's a new American cuisine restaurant. Gourmet food and food not so gourmet. It has awesome outdoor seating in the heart of Styron Square, and above it are residential balconies garnished with ivy and outdoor patio wear. It is normally busy on weekends. Cowboy Sids and Schleshingers or whatever are kinda pricey. Then there is a Tapas restaurant there also with late-night music and a club/bar atmosphere. Check it out. I hear a food market is on its way to Port Warwick with outdoor stands. Fresh fruit and flowers a short walk from ones home. Port Warwick will have a lot to offer cityfolk looking to move to Hampton Roads especially with talks of light rail and a pedestrian-friendly roundabout between it and City Center.

Thanks for info! I just got back from Norfolk and was able to have brunch at Cowboy Syds at Port Warwick. Must say I was very impressed with the layout of the development. I really enjoyed the little town square and the interesting statues.

We had no problem getting seating at Cowboy Syds and I must say the salmon steak that I had was wonderful. I definately look forward to going back.

Thanks for info! I just got back from Norfolk and was able to have brunch at Cowboy Syds at Port Warwick. Must say I was very impressed with the layout of the development. I really enjoyed the little town square and the interesting statues.

We had no problem getting seating at Cowboy Syds and I must say the salmon steak that I had was wonderful. I definately look forward to going back.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it

• 2 weeks later...

A major announcement will be made on December 21st which will have a significant impact on the Hampton Roads area (regarding a large corporation's expansion).

I wonder if symatec, furgesson, or the shipyard is expanding. One question is it a tech company? I know you can't say cause if you could you would have.

I wonder if symatec, furgesson, or the shipyard is expanding. One question is it a tech company? I know you can't say cause if you could you would have.

Well, I can assume it will be in NN since he's posting in the NN thread :P . It would be great if this large corporate headquarters came to city center. :whistling: