What are they building there?

Yeah, but in the context of this conversation, do you really care about that? We just want it open right? And the financial deadline they have is keeping them to their announcement completion date, at least for the hotel portion.

A place like the Miko space opening into a restaurant, I take all those type of announcements with a grain of sand. I used to wonder how the hell a person can let a space sit for so long and pay with nothing coming in, but after a few years here, I stopped and just accepted it. :dontknow:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Johnston

Frozen Project?

There appears to be limited progress in Johnston where the new Home Depot plaza is on Atwood Ave. There are still places available for lease and the Phase II part does not appear to be in the near future, unfortunately.

Golden Arches Relocating?

Almost across the street from that plaza, the former Mario's Showplace was demolished in August and supposedly will be home to a new McDonalds. Logically, one would think that this would open up the current McDonalds plot on Hartford Ave, which already has a Burger King, Wendys, Tim Hortons, among others on the same road. This should also generate more traffic for that particuar McDonalds as it is closer to the highway exit off Rt. 6, for whatever that is worth.

Another Gas Station?

Across from town hall, the former Mobil Station has seen construction work recently some of the concrete pads near the gas pumps. The town could use another gas station and I wouldn't mind seeing it be converted to another brand. Texaco/Citgo and Sunoco, at one time were available on Atwood Ave. Perhaps Hess, who has been expanding in the area recently, could take over.

Edited by mod134

North Providence, RI

"Let's Build Something Together" Again?

On Mineral Spring Avenue, the former Rizzo Ford dealership may see some development on site to reuse the property for a Lowe's Home Improvement Warehouse. While I wouldn't mind it in the sense that it is close to the section of Providence I'm regularly in, there should be some considerations. There is already a Home Depot - which replaced a former mill property - in the north section of Providence, near the N. Providence line.

Mineral Spring Ave. is often plagued with traffic issues. Lowe's are currently located in Seekonk and Warwick. Home Depot has three locations within 15 minutes of where I live - Johnston (Rt. 5), Smithfield (Rt. 44) and in Cranston near Garden City.

While I recognize the importance to develop this sizeable property, does it have to be another big box?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the town meeting went regarding this project?

Perhaps it is an issue with the planning board. The Roman Deli/Mangiarelli's were supposed to move near the Burlington Coat Factory and the Panera Bread would be built on their former site. The Super Walmart, Sam's Club, Sleepy's, WorkNGear and movie theater still haven't been built. As I drive by it daily ... don't see any work of progress. Maybe all of the aforementioned would-be developments are dead. We need an exit to the plaza and the expansion of the road. My commute to Providence is hindered by the traffic infrastructure inadequacies of Atwood Ave. if I hit it at the wrong time.

Edited by mod134

Atwood Ave is a transportation planner's nightmare. Not only is it a big box wasteland but it only has two travel lanes and floods everytime it rains. I can't imagine any more big boxes fitting on that road or wanting to fit on that road. Aren't they supposedly building a Walmart up behind Burlington Coat Factory and Home Depot as well?

This brings me to the question: How many Route 2's, Route 1's and Route 6's do we need before enough is enough? It's like the modern day retail developer goal is to provide 3 of every big box (especially Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart and a supermarket, take your pick) to everyone, all within a 15 minute drive but NONE that anyone could actually walk to...it's insane.

The big boxers want to cover each major transportation corridor / node leading out to the nearby suburbs... in this case Johnston, Scituate, Foster, etc. Therefore, each interchange along I-295 will eventually be covered with the stuff... Home Depot will build more because they want to preclude a Lowe's and are also willing to wait for the suburban build out than worry about traffic on Atwood Avenue.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At the bottom of the front page of the Metro Section today, there was a small blurb and photo of a demolition of a building in the Jewelry District at the corner of Chestnut and Elbow, across the street from the building where Jewel is located. It said that there was going to be a new building constructed at that location. Any idea what will be built?

At the bottom of the front page of the Metro Section today, there was a small blurb and photo of a demolition of a building in the Jewelry District at the corner of Chestnut and Elbow, across the street from the building where Jewel is located. It said that there was going to be a new building constructed at that location. Any idea what will be built?

• 1 month later...