What are they building there?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, it would make mineral spring mineral hell. i can understand wanting a lowe's and i can see how the city of north providence would think it's a good idea (taxes, jobs, etc)... but wouldn't a strip mall be so much easier on the traffic situation?

Driving along West Fountain Street at the corner of Winter Street by the Police and Fire HQ, I noticed they were excavating what appears to be a foundation right next door to what will become the PPS Revolving Funds new offices. Could this be related to Armory Revival's condo project that was supposed to built across the street?

Armory's 383 West Fountain was before CPC a few months ago. They were approved to proceed with a scaled back plan and a use change to offices instead of condos. I believe they will be re-using the existing buildings rather than the rendering that was presented for the prior condo proposal.

Armory's 383 West Fountain was before CPC a few months ago. They were approved to proceed with a scaled back plan and a use change to offices instead of condos. I believe they will be re-using the existing buildings rather than the rendering that was presented for the prior condo proposal.

I walked by that this afternoon. A woman asked and then I asked her what they said. She said they're "digging for gold". I hope to God they are not putting a parking lot there. Downcity is becoming a parking lot lovers dream. Pathetic.

Does anyone know what's going on with the site of the old downcity at the corner of Weybosset and Eddy? There was a backhoe there today digging out the old foundation - first activity I've seen in well over a year.

Maybe they really are digging for gold.. I'm going to walk over with my flashlight and see if I can be the first to find it! :scared:

Anything there would have to go before DRC and I haven't seen anything on their agenda, I may have missed something though.

I emailed the Planning Department to see if they have any info.

• 2 months later...

Just lost my entire previous post, when I went to Preview it. Awesome. Anyway.....

I don't know if this is the right forum topic for this post, but I didn't see anything under Construction or West end happenings.

Maybe someone can inform me about the following two recent developments in the West end:

I didn't realize that the Central High school buildings at the intersection of Cranston St and Fricker St were going to be demolished. They were boarded up for a few months, but now they are almost completely demo-ed. Are they planning on constructing a new school building? The whole intersection looks extremely bare right now, though offers a nice view of the buildings at the Pearl Street Lofts and the Jones Warehouse.

In other news, there has been activity at the Carpenter Mills site, on Carpenter St between Bridgham and Courtland. First I noticed newly-spread dirt on the east end of the site, as if something had been torn down (I can't remeber if anything was there, or maybe just the parking lot was torn up. I'll have to do another drive-by and then compare it to the Google Street View image. Also, the mill building itself has work being done, it looks like some of the windows were removed. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Carpenter Mills

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Eastbound Henderson Bridge is down to one lane with Jersey barriers blocking the outer lane (in addition to the inner lane which has been blocked for millennia). Anyone know what's up? I know that is among the, well, all the bridges in the state that are disintegrating. I thought the bridge was further away from catastrophic failure than the Pawtucket River Bridge though, and thought the state was paying for stuff with seashells now, so I was wondering why work was already happening at Henderson.

^sarcastic enough?

Eastbound Henderson Bridge is down to one lane with Jersey barriers blocking the outer lane (in addition to the inner lane which has been blocked for millennia). Anyone know what's up? I know that is among the, well, all the bridges in the state that are disintegrating. I thought the bridge was further away from catastrophic failure than the Pawtucket River Bridge though, and thought the state was paying for stuff with seashells now, so I was wondering why work was already happening at Henderson.

^sarcastic enough?