What are they building there?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have information on what's going on at the empty storefront on N. Main St. I don't know the exact address (maybe 750) but going north it's after Miko's and N.M.S Market. Looks like two spaces in one small building.

Too small for a Trader Joes... :P but maybe something good?

It's going to be condos with water views, didn't you hear?

skyscraper.jpg

No, but seriously, they had the tower completely encased in a temporary cubic surround structure for about a week -- wood frame, I assume, covered by plastic. Very visible from the highway, right at the 113 exit. And yeah, to me, it did look very much like a high-rise in progress. :rofl:

It's down now. I guess they painted the thing. I don't see any difference otherwise.

From the highway, I'd can't say I'd ever really noticed the thing before. It's just a water tower. There are a couple there, one with the name Warwick painted across its storage tank. And there's a steeple and also the Pontiac Mills chimney/smokestack. Then all of a sudden this (large-looking) box appears on the horizon, and I'm panicking wondering what hell I missed. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also worth nothing that the city concilor is directly involved with the Blackstone on the Southside project (right around the corner from the Gateway project), which is also very heavily "subsidized" (albeit for homeowners, not renters). So, is the "subsidized" part really the problem, is it about rental vs. homeownership, or is it a problem with the developer? It doesn't seem like this article gets to the root of the objections.

Interesting that this makes it into the news now, after all the permits have been granted and the site has already been totally cleared and prepped for construction.

Edited by ruchele

I don't understand..

When a project is built with no affordable housing, people complain.. Forcing out current residents..

When a project is built WITH affordable housing, people complain.. Keeping too many current residents...

No matter what, there is no winning.. I'm completely convinced that RI people would like no change whatsoever, forever.. "I change by not changing at all"...

The truth of the matter is.. There are poor neighborhoods in Providence.. There are poor neighborhoods in every city.. There are projects all over Providence.. Some are more prominent than others.. Take Manton Heights; you know its there, you drive by the green facade every day.. But it goes down the hill; its huge..

They are a necessary evil.. You need to house a certain portion of our people.. I don't agree with the concept, but I understand it.. The government is keeping low income or no income people from a life of certain crime by assisting their living.. Is it the best solution, no.. Is it working, sort of.. Its a band aid fix, but real change is too hard..

People of like income and social status tend to live near one another.. Thats how neighborhoods work.. I have to say that Providence, more than ANY city I have been to has the most good block, bad block, naked baby block, mansion block mixes than any where else..

• 2 weeks later...
No one really cared when I asked about this spot in the first place but I'm going to post anyway. 747 N. Main St. is going to be... wait for it... "Rhode Island Court"

A court filing center or something.. Very boring. Better than a McDonalds I guess...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyones wondering, a developer is building a multi-unit condo building at the corners of Pawtucket & Bullocks Point Ave in Riverside. What a horrible location for this building. This is a very busy intersection during rush hour traffic so it may be difficult for residents to enter and exit this property. It's an unusual shaped lot which almost resembles a pyramid, with an apartment complex adjacent to it.

Edited by Frankie811

In case anyones wondering, a developer is building a multi-unit condo building at the corners of Pawtucket & Bullocks Point Ave in Riverside. What a horrible location for this building. This is a very busy intersection during rush hour traffic so it may be difficult for residents to enter and exit this property. It's an unusual shaped lot which almost resembles a pyramid, with an apartment complex adjacent to it.
Edited by EPBOY

Whatever is being built there, it is better then the vacant & abandoned gas station that I've passed by every day for pretty much as long as I can remember. Last year I actually considered buying that lot just to rip down that empty gas station and plant some trees. It's been an eyesore for way too long.