Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Unlike Orlando's venues the Rays and St. Pete have kept this on the wraps because they know there will be a public outcry of how and what money is being spent. It looks like most will come from public taxes and not the TDT or CRA that was used here.

This is probably going on referedum in Nov and will be shot down. I just can't see a team that has done so poorly on the field, in attendance, and in the community getting 300 Million + for a new stadium. Not yet at least.

Cool design though.

JRS1- You suprised me, I thought the D-rays stadium would be right up your alley.

I love it personally.

I probably need to see it from a few more angles... it is nice, it's just that it's covered yet open still... I don't know what to think about that... and for some reason, I've developed a slight bias against tent architecture as of late... probably b/c I keep hoping OIA will replace the tent canopies above the departures level...

• 2 weeks later...

Can these projects get financed in the current environment?

Fed's rescue failed?

It is hard to imagine a more plain-vanilla outfit than the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which manages bridges, bus terminals, and airports.

The authority is a public body, backed by the two states. Yet it had to pay 20pc rates in February after the near closure of the $330bn (

Road trip fuels vision for arts center - Orlando Sentinel

When Orlando arts leaders looked at drawings for a new home for the New World Symphony, those plans drew oohs and aahs.

When it's built, architect Frank Gehry's 700-seat hall will nestle into a glass-and-concrete box with a grand exterior that will serve as a giant video screen. Concertgoers will be able to relax outside and watch what's going on inside, while in one of the building's studios a cello teacher could give a lesson via the Internet to a student around the world.

"I love the outdoor projection," said Jim Ireland, president and CEO of the Orlando Opera. "Let's hope they give us an outdoor plaza where we can do that."

...interesting concept, but changing technology would make dated quickly without spending money to keep up with the times. I do think an outdoor plaza is essential and I still like the idea once proposed of building a canal from Lake Lucerne to the PAC site.

From the NYTimes:

"In an interview on CNBC, (Warren) Buffett said his Berkshire Hathaway Inc. holding company has offered a second level of insurance on up to $800 billion in municipal bonds. The reinsurance offer is for bond insurers Ambac Financial Group Inc., MBIA Inc. and Financial Guaranty Insurance Co., known as FGIC."

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/A...amp;oref=slogin

I wonder if this might be helpful for the venues to progress.

Don't have the article but it sounds like the deal Buffett offered is off the table now.

ABK (Ambac) is down 10% on news it needs 1.5 billion in cash.

Financing is going to be very tricky, the fact it's not being spoken about much is, to me, telling.

Latest article in the Sentinel says the increase on the bond interest rates (only about 0.5 percent) have raised costs by over 100 million.

Bond market drives up costs

City officials say not to worry: They intend to pay the bonds off early, cutting the extra debt almost in half and eventually refinancing the bonds. And the hotel taxes that will be used to repay the bonds will more than cover it, they say.

There are a lot of people in foreclosure right now that thought the same thing about their mortgage.

• 4 weeks later...

any updates on when construction begins?

its been very quiet lately.

i see they cleared a lot of the trees:(

Hope they replace it with a lot more greenery when they are done which I'm sure they will.

My understanding is that it (Arena/Events Center) won't go till 3rd or 4th quarter this year with completion scheduled for 3rd quarter 2010, not sure on the Citrus Bowl Renovation. PAC not scheduled to go till late 2009 or 2010 with completion date 2012.

My understanding is that it (Arena/Events Center) won't go till 3rd or 4th quarter this year with completion scheduled for 3rd quarter 2010, not sure on the Citrus Bowl Renovation. PAC not scheduled to go till late 2009 or 2010 with completion date 2012.

My understanding is the arena will beak ground in August is this right?Anyone have exac t date?

I'm sure they need to design the thing first. All three have to be a ways from being fully designed. Does anyone know how these jobs are being built? Whether they're design build or design bid build?

I'm sure they need to design the thing first. All three have to be a ways from being fully designed. Does anyone know how these jobs are being built? Whether they're design build or design bid build?

I'm pretty sure they are design-bid-build, at least the arena from what I've heard. When theflytr mentioned it would 'go' around 3rd or 4th q, I assumed they meant it would be released for bid then.

ummm... if they dont have the land they cant build the center they want.. or the city wants. How is it a waste?

If it is the Church that is indeed holding up construction because of the existing building on the premises, it is certainly driving up construction costs (which is a waste of time and resources). It is likely not the case, rather because the PAC is still in the design phase.