Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Downtown Orlando theater project hires 2 design firms

Two more firms are hired to help bring the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center to life.

Elizabeth Maupin {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

November 6, 2007

Planners for the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center in downtown Orlando have hired two world-renowned firms as theater designer and acoustician for the three-theater project.

Among the firms to be introduced at a community meeting today will be Theatre Projects Consultants -- which designed performance spaces in London's Royal National Theatre complex and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles -- and Artec Consultants Inc., the acoustical-design firm responsible for the sound in the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas and the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...rl_tab01_layout

How well do you guys think a design like that of the Walt Disney Concert Hall would sit in downtown Orlando?

You're dreaming the impossible dream

The Disney Concert Hall is an architectual wonder of the modern era, doubtful we would ever be so lucky as to get something that amazing

It's a wonderful dream though

You're dreaming the impossible dream

The Disney Concert Hall is an architectual wonder of the modern era, doubtful we would ever be so lucky as to get something that amazing

It's a wonderful dream though

Coming back from the 'Meet the Design Team' thing today, I'm very excited. I am very confident about the inside workability and functionality of the performance spaces as well as backstage, and I like what I heard regarding the outside. I liked the remark that Barton Myers made saying that due to the lack of style in Orlando's current architecture, he felt he had the opportunity to 'set the bar' with the PP Pac.

Donations now up to 84 million.

dpac has done a great job of assembling a hot team who have reputations to consider. I've worked shows in some of the theatres they designed, this could be great!

(Okay I know, I know. Put the Pom Poms down and step away....)

It appears Mr. Rosen's plan to impede progress is failing badly

The only thing more pitiful than a Mr. Burns, is an inefective Mr. Burns.

Edited by Boomer136

Gehry just got sued by MIT about the poor quality of his design of their dorm.

Gehry's building isn't a dorm-- it's the Ray and Maria Stata Center which mostly houses computer science labs, and the linguistics and philosophy departments.

Stata Center-

stata-center-5.3.jpg

Nearly as controversial is Stephen Holl's Simmons Hall, which is a dormitory.

Simmons Hall-

800px-Simmons_Hall,_MIT,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts.JPG

...both of which are pretty b-b-b-busted.

Gehry's building isn't a dorm-- it's the Ray and Maria Stata Center which mostly houses computer science labs, and the linguistics and philosophy departments.

Stata Center-

stata-center-5.3.jpg

Nearly as controversial is Stephen Holl's Simmons Hall, which is a dormitory.

Simmons Hall-

800px-Simmons_Hall,_MIT,_Cambridge,_Massachusetts.JPG

...both of which are pretty b-b-b-busted.

I second that bic. BTW just ran in a DP grad from '01 in the East Village. His band was playing a gig.

Coming back from the 'Meet the Design Team' thing today, I'm very excited. I am very confident about the inside workability and functionality of the performance spaces as well as backstage, and I like what I heard regarding the outside. I liked the remark that Barton Myers made saying that due to the lack of style in Orlando's current architecture, he felt he had the opportunity to 'set the bar' with the PP Pac.

Donations now up to 84 million.

dpac has done a great job of assembling a hot team who have reputations to consider. I've worked shows in some of the theatres they designed, this could be great!

(Okay I know, I know. Put the Pom Poms down and step away....)

The only thing more pitiful than a Mr. Burns, is an inefective Mr. Burns.

Your meeting today sounds very encouraging

Considering that the Disney Concert Hall cost a total of about $270 million in 2003 construction dollars, I think the funds that will be available for ours should be adequate enough to accomplish something spectacular along those lines

I just hope too many wallets don't get fat on the project via "Big Dig" corruption that could wind up limiting what we get

Of course, Mr Burns is always welcome to step in and convert it into the City Commons Maximum Security Prison should an upscale Gehry facility not succeed with us southern folk

Your meeting today sounds very encouraging

Considering that the Disney Concert Hall cost a total of about $270 million in 2003 construction dollars, I think the funds that will be available for ours should be adequate enough to accomplish something spectacular along those lines

I just hope too many wallets don't get fat on the project via "Big Dig" corruption that could wind up limiting what we get

Of course, Mr Burns is always welcome to step in and convert it into the City Commons Maximum Security Prison should an upscale Gehry facility not succeed with us southern folk

I forgot they did an episode like that! Shame on me.

^^ Oh for f^%#'s sake! Possibly worth more later... A stitch in time is worth two in the bush... or something like. Pass a law that allows tenants rights when the landlord defaults on the mortgage, then worry about these folks. The answer is simple to a non-lawyer or non-MBA. Make good for the folks who get the short end of the stick so they come out even to ahead. Those that want to make an issue of it to 'cash in', give a lesson in instant Karma. You wanna play? Let's play. Its 'Let's make a deal.'

(Definitely ramping up the crotchety factor in my dotage)

^^ Oh for f^%#'s sake! Possibly worth more later... A stitch in time is worth two in the bush... or something like. Pass a law that allows tenants rights when the landlord defaults on the mortgage, then worry about these folks. The answer is simple to a non-lawyer or non-MBA. Make good for the folks who get the short end of the stick so they come out even to ahead. Those that want to make an issue of it to 'cash in', give a lesson in instant Karma. You wanna play? Let's play. Its 'Let's make a deal.'

(Definitely ramping up the crotchety factor in my dotage)

did u watch the video of the vet? he seemed pretty mad

did u watch the video of the vet? he seemed pretty mad

They had the same Vet on WESH last night, who said, the city needs to find me a new place to go. The reporter said, so if the city gets you all set up in a new place, that's what you are asking for? The Vet responded, No, I want money too!

hahahaha

he isnt upset about this at all

looks like he is using this opportunity to its fullest, trying to leech and milk off the system

get them out and lets this this rolling!

He is entitled to some form of compensation in addition to relocation assistance. That's pretty standard for eminent domain procedures nationally.

oh fully understand compensation

however, I think I remember reading some where that he was asking for a lot lot lot more than relocation assistance

if you watch or read any of the interviews with this guy, he really does give off the attitude that he is trying to get as much out of this as possible

He is entitled to some form of compensation in addition to relocation assistance. That's pretty standard for eminent domain procedures nationally.

If it was up to me, he would not get anything from the City. But I am sure he will get something out of this.