Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Here's my $.02:

If the Orena were to move to I-Drive, it would be to compliment the OCCC complex, i.e., to create another GWCC with all the arena/CC space in one giant facility. It would be incredible when you think about it. It would also make it easier to host major events like the RNC or DNC if everything is closeby, with big hotels too.

Do I wish all of this were in downtown like in Atlanta? Yes, but its not.

And that's another major problem with DT ORL: there aren't enough hotels there (b/c there is no CC in DT). We're like last in line between Miami, Tampa, and Jax with regard to DT hotels. Westin, Embassy, old Radisson, Courtyard, *Lexington conversion of Holiday Inn, *Capital Plaza's Hampton, and *Marriott's 300 room proposal to replace the old one, just don't cut it... or do they?

All of the above is a positive for this location but the negatives are tremendous. 1. Location does not serve locals. Most locals avoid I-drive convention area like the plague. 2. Traffic. 3. Traffic. 4. Traffic 5. Traffic

The arena on I-Drive would do nothing more than to shut the yap of the hoteliers. There has been a landowner from Atlanta who has offered his parcel for a new arena on Universal Blvd. Whether that happens is unknown. With the hoteliers coming out and saying they approve the tax increase and it's use it could show signs of the arena being located downtown.

I'm sure most people including city officials know the falicies of putting the arena on I-Drive, however they also know where their funding is coming from.

Should be interesting to say the least.

The arena on I-Drive would do nothing more than to shut the yap of the hoteliers. There has been a landowner from Atlanta who has offered his parcel for a new arena on Universal Blvd. Whether that happens is unknown. With the hoteliers coming out and saying they approve the tax increase and it's use it could show signs of the arena being located downtown.

I'm sure most people including city officials know the falicies of putting the arena on I-Drive, however they also know where their funding is coming from.

Should be interesting to say the least.

I think an arena by the CC would help Orlando tremendously with even larger scale conferences like the DNC/RNC but I've heard Dyer say recently on Sentinel Sports on the radio say that their research shows that would not be good for the team. He didn't sound like it was going down there. Not to mention that I think he wants it in the Centroplex still b/c of his desired tech village in conjunction with UCF near the TD 'house.

I think an arena by the CC would help Orlando tremendously with even larger scale conferences like the DNC/RNC but I've heard Dyer say recently on Sentinel Sports on the radio say that their research shows that would not be good for the team. He didn't sound like it was going down there. Not to mention that I think he wants it in the Centroplex still b/c of his desired tech village in conjunction with UCF near the TD 'house.

Yes it would be a benefit to large scale conventions but it would kill any local sports interest .. Magic / Preds. They'd both suffer attendance wise. And although Dyer wants to pump up other "Events" usage ... the idea is "Events" for citizens ... and citizens don't do I-Drive. You might just as well call it Convention Center Phase III.

Edited by cwetteland

Dyer couldn't want it going near the CC, it would no longer be in the City....and I imagine they pay a pretty penny in sales tax.

It seems to me that the Centroplex as it now stands is obsolete. If there is a brand new arena constructed downtown do you think that the current arena will be razed and that additional development (res condos, office buildings, UCF extension, etc... would go in?) Just thinking that if City Place goes through as planned land immediatley around there will be exponentially more valuable.

I hope it's not in tourist land on International Drive. The same thing will happen to the Magic as happened to the Orlando Rays when they moved from Tinker Field to Disney's Cracker Jack Stadium. It's too far from the population base of the Metro area and they will lose fans. In the Orlando Rays case the move was farther and there was a smaller fan base. The Magic would see the same result on a much smaller scale though. The center of population in the metro area is around North Winter Park. It has crept slowly to the South over the years but is still centered North of Orlando. About 10 to 15 years ago it was in Maitland. Most people don't mind driving to downtown to see a game etc..., but moving the arena to the South end of town and putting it in the tourist corridor would make some people change their mind about going to a game.

I can't see a new arena going anywhere but downtown.

i personally want the arena in downtown too.

however, to play devils advocate here, look at the detroit pistons playing in auburn hills which is on the north end of the metro area. they didnt seem to have attendence problems after the move.

i just hope we the city chooses a better sponser for the facility. one that doesnt have a cheesy name.

the DARDEN CENTER sounds good to me. heck..... maybe they could put a bahama breeze in it.

i personally want the arena in downtown too.

however, to play devils advocate here, look at the detroit pistons playing in auburn hills which is on the north end of the metro area. they didnt seem to have attendence problems after the move.

i just hope we the city chooses a better sponser for the facility. one that doesnt have a cheesy name.

the DARDEN CENTER sounds good to me. heck..... maybe they could put a bahama breeze in it.

Do they have traffic from non-residents like we have on I-Drive? Add a few THOUSAND more cars on I-Drive on game nights to the already existing traffic congestion at the back end of rush hour.

So you're saying Detriot has a major conjested tourist area on the North End where most locals stay away from except on game nights? Interesting

So you're saying Detriot has a major conjested tourist area on the North End where most locals stay away from except on game nights? Interesting

im not making a point about tourism traffic. im making a point about what one user said about the arena needing to be in the center of the metro area to retain attendence figures. i simply used detroit to prove that arenas dont necessarily have to be that way.

as far as traffic..... there are underused roads with immediate freeway access all over the south end of I-drive. an example is universal blvd. isnt kirkman road going to get extended into that area as well? all this within a short distance to the beeline which connects to I-4. in reality, nobody would even have to drive on I-drive.

but, i still would rather it put in downtown.

Edited by shardoon

I could make a really long post here but in summation I'll say the events center needs to be in downtown Orlando.

They could easily build a new events center right next to the TD Waterhouse much like what happened in Philly with the Wachovia Centre & the Spectrum. & there's no way the Magic would play their games in Tampa.

Here's my $.02:

If the Orena were to move to I-Drive, it would be to compliment the OCCC complex, i.e., to create another GWCC with all the arena/CC space in one giant facility. It would be incredible when you think about it. It would also make it easier to host major events like the RNC or DNC if everything is closeby, with big hotels too.

Do I wish all of this were in downtown like in Atlanta? Yes, but its not.

And that's another major problem with DT ORL: there aren't enough hotels there (b/c there is no CC in DT). We're like last in line between Miami, Tampa, and Jax with regard to DT hotels. Westin, Embassy, old Radisson, Courtyard, *Lexington conversion of Holiday Inn, *Capital Plaza's Hampton, and *Marriott's 300 room proposal to replace the old one, just don't cut it... or do they?

I both appreciate and respect what you are saying but despite whatever benefit comes with having a new arena by the CC, it would be highway robbery to Orlando

I can't stand the fact that the New England Patriots have a stadium and play in Foxboro, a good hour drive from Boston

Granted, the Pats are not the Boston Patriots, they represent all of New England (Conneticut, Rhode Island, etc...) but since they are in Massachusets and their Superbowl victory parades have been in the streets of Boston, I myself as well as many others consider them a Boston team

Obviously I-Drive is not far from downtown Orlando but to have an arena there absolutely defeats the purpose of having the Magic be the Orlando Magic

In my honest opinion, it was wrong to have the CC on I-Drive in the 1st place

With all the hotels and resorts that occupy that area and the amount of convention space they all possess, the OCC is an I-Drive redundancy

If we could have had it built in downtown, assuming there was land available to do so, we could really have a seperation of the local and tourist districts

While the San Diego CC is not as big or as glamorous as ours, having it within walking distance from the downtown business and entertainment district is well thought out planning

Conventioneers there can walk across the street to the downtown Gaslamp district and dine and shop anywhere and then walk back to the CC and their hotels

If our CC was built downtown originally (I believe they would have found the space to do it by foresaking Parramore) the hotels needed to maintain it would have come

I think this is why there are not many hotels downtown, they are so many in the tourist district including around the CC, having any downtown at this time is a redundancy

The reasonable distance from downtown to I-Drive makes this possible, we aren't talking 30+ miles, just the need to deal with some traffic issues which in that stretch of road is not as bad as elsewhere in the greater Orlando area

The CC is more than ample to handle the mega conventions as well as the hotels there

An arena being built within walking distance would be the ultimate redundancy, it is way to much exhibit space in an area that is already flooded with too much as it is

The arena needs to be downtown so that downtown can actually have it's own urban CC so to speak

Also, the Magic will completely lose their identity as I stated earlier

The chance that the team could potentially become the Kissimmee Magic or the Disney Magic (I know it would never happen but an argument can almost be made) based on the proximity of the tourist district would eliminate Orlando's relevance

If the new arena cannot be built on the same site because the Magic would never stoop to playing a season or two in Tampa (hell, who could blame them on that) then certainly build it several blocks down

We need this new arena in downtown so as to not make all this revitalization meaningless

Plus, Dyer wants the new arena more than Crotty and therefore Crotty should not get boasting rights, Dyer should

Let's build an amazing entertainment district downtown, something that can give downtown San Diego or dare I say, Las Vegas a run for its money

Kissimmee Magic or Orange County Magic......I need a hot scalding shower just to scrub the disgust I feel at just the mere thought

Sorry if I rant too much

as far as traffic..... there are underused roads with immediate freeway access all over the south end of I-drive. an example is universal blvd. isnt kirkman road going to get extended into that area as well? all this within a short distance to the beeline which connects to I-4. in reality, nobody would even have to drive on I-drive.

but, i still would rather it put in downtown.

Perhaps you've not been on the Beachline around 4:30pm through 6:30pm. It's bumper to bumper. Central Florida Parkway to John Young via Orangewood would be bad as well. Here's to "Downtown Orange County" and their planned "public trans." via waterway and bus.

Perhaps you've not been on the Beachline around 4:30pm through 6:30pm. It's bumper to bumper. Central Florida Parkway to John Young via Orangewood would be bad as well. Here's to "Downtown Orange County" and their planned "public trans." via waterway and bus.

The only way I see an arena in that area is if we had trains. You could pack people into the cars like sardines. Most times, packed train cars are unbearable, but when everyone on it is wearing Magic apparel and cheering along the way... could lead to partying, comraderie, winning spirit, winning team, oh my.

Wait... we don't have trains. :huh:

Edited by bulldogger

In my honest opinion, it was wrong to have the CC on I-Drive in the 1st place

I agree with your arena argument, but I just have to say that the OCCC being on I-drive isn't that bad an idea. The space would have been hard to come by in downtown. It's practically a straight shot with little traffic (considering the rest of town) from the airport. Lastly, it is in the middle between downtown Orlando and Disney. A lot of conventioneers bring their families. Can you imagine telling your kids that you went to Disney World for work and they can't go? They're already paying for a hotel night. Just gotta flit the bill for airline tix.

I know its a lil far fetched but how about UCF's New convocation center they are building? COuld they play there in the meantime? Scheduling would probably be an issue.

Possibly. Or the Fieldhouse at WD Wide World Of Sports.

It seems to me that the Centroplex as it now stands is obsolete. If there is a brand new arena constructed downtown do you think that the current arena will be razed and that additional development (res condos, office buildings, UCF extension, etc... would go in?) Just thinking that if City Place goes through as planned land immediatley around there will be exponentially more valuable.

I agree, it is obsolete. The existing arena is ideal to become a badly needed Orlando Convention Center. This arena/Centroplex should be converted to a mini convention center for downtown. The land surrounding Lake Dot directly in front of the arena can accomodate several large scale hotels. Together with Orlando City Place and the proposed Uptown developments north and south of Colonial, this area would become an urban northern downtown destination. Of course a new Arena closer to Church street (South & Division) and all the under construction venues (including proposed PAC) would be a southern downtown entertainment/cultural destination which runs east all the way to Thorton Park. All of this would be accessible by foot. Can you imagine....that would be special! :shades:

The OCCC on I-drive is no more redundant than Vegas's CC and all the meeting space each of their mega hotels possess all within a mile or two of each other.

I want the new arena DT.

FYI to a previous comment: the Preds play in Kissimmee, not the O-rena, right?

Now, UCF is getting their own stadium. My point in bringing that up is that most of downtown's sports tenants have left: Preds, hockey(i think), minor league baseball, UCF football...

Now that's a development you just can't sweep under a rug.

What I think they should do is this: somehow, put the arena close to the new PAC, or develope another expo center near the new arena so that DT can have the ability to attract shows like I-Drive does. It can boost foor traffic and really market DT to outsiders that would not otherwise come to DT.

The Preds play at the O-rena, and people at both the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers have expressed interest in putting their AAA teams in Orlando.

I would not be shocked if this happens with the new arena. Currently the TDW cannot host a hockey team as part of a settlement with David Warnocker over the Orlando Seals ouster.

Minor League baseball will be back in Orlando by 2008, I will guarentee that. There have been a couple private entities who were willing to buy Tinker Field and upgrade it.

The Preds play at the O-rena, and people at both the Tampa Bay Lightning and Florida Panthers have expressed interest in putting their AAA teams in Orlando.

I would not be shocked if this happens with the new arena. Currently the TDW cannot host a hockey team as part of a settlement with David Warnocker over the Orlando Seals ouster.

Minor League baseball will be back in Orlando by 2008, I will guarentee that. There have been a couple private entities who were willing to buy Tinker Field and upgrade it.

THen who plays in Kiss, the hockey team?

I agree, it is obsolete. The existing arena is ideal to become a badly needed Orlando Convention Center. This arena/Centroplex should be converted to a mini convention center for downtown. The land surrounding Lake Dot directly in front of the arena can accomodate several large scale hotels. Together with Orlando City Place and the proposed Uptown developments north and south of Colonial, this area would become an urban northern downtown destination. Of course a new Arena closer to Church street (South & Division) and all the under construction venues (including proposed PAC) would be a southern downtown entertainment/cultural destination which runs east all the way to Thorton Park. All of this would be accessible by foot. Can you imagine....that would be special! :shades:

Indeed that would be special and provide the continuity that is lacking right now. I am curious about the Orlando Convention Center. Doesn't the Expo Center kind of cover that? Who do you think would be the primary users of a CC Downtown?

Indeed that would be special and provide the continuity that is lacking right now. I am curious about the Orlando Convention Center. Doesn't the Expo Center kind of cover that? Who do you think would be the primary users of a CC Downtown?

I thought the Expo Center was converted into the UCF Digital Media Institute Thingy.