Good New Restaurants

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Moving away from Starbucks and Waffle House...

I went to Restaurant Constance ten days ago. It was mentioned by a friend as I was concerned about paucity of fine dining locations that were not "restaurant group" owned or national chains. There is a warm backstory to the owner and his ambition. It had been open for seven weeks and the reservation process needed some refinement. It is in the former location of Counter- on Thrift Road, now considered Lower Tuck. It is small with 36 seats, one toilet and no bar or waiting area inside. We had to wait outside 20 minutes for our table due to the constraint of the restaurant configuration. Clement temperature allowed this but no seating outside.

Once seated the experience moved up quickly. Service is prompt and friendly with knowledge of the kitchen and menu items. Drinks and hors d'oeuvres came in good fashion. We had enough time to enjoy those and talk before ordering the man dishes. A comfortable wait until the prime event was appreciated. There was no sense of turning tables. We had almost two hours for ourselves. The pork shank was generously sized. Scallops on Carolina grits was attractive.  Plate presentation was lovely. No problem with conversation although all tables taken at some part of the evening. There is a slide show on one wall of suppliers to the kitchen with photos of cows in a field, oystermen, etc. Price was reasonable and less than I anticipated. Not "restaurant group" pricing in other words. There is a passageway from dining to kitchen area that has a plastic cover and for a few tables it affords a view to the kitchen area. It shows how much food and plate prep occurs before the order or even before evening opening. 

Limited days and hours (currently). The three of us agreed we would return.

Thanks for this!  I'm going on Thursday for the first time.

• Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 12:18 PM, turbocraig said:

Thanks for this!  I'm going on Thursday for the first time.

So, Restaurant Constance.... Went tonight with two friends.  Got the waffle with pimento appetizer and it was great!  Waffle was flavorful and perfectly prepared, pimento cheese (which I normally don't care for) was very tasty.  Had a jam component incorporated so it played on the sweet/savory.  Very good.  Kale salad next, which was good and a good sized portion (shout out to the sweet potato "croutons" that were so delicious by themselves I could have eaten a whole bowl of just those).  Salad could have had half the amount of dressing.  It was sweet and there was lots of it so I could only eat half of it before I had to stop.  Only vegetarian option on the menu was the mushroom gnocchi, which I was very excited about, but very disappointed in.  Two of us at the table got the same entree and neither of us took more than two bites before we called it quits.  It was presented with a ladleful of white foam in the center, which was very unappetizing looking.  Not to sound too gross or over-dramatize it, but it literally looked like spit or dog foam vomit.  I later learned it was a parmesan foam, which I didn't know was a thing, but couldn't really taste it.  I patted it down and mixed it into the dish just to make it go away, but the gnocchi was nearly flavorless.  I just stopped after two bites to save the calories.  Wine was great.

The service was excellent and our server was so sweet, really.  When she came to clear our plates, she asked us if we wanted to-go boxes for our gnocchi and we said no (very politely).  The manager that had apparently been eyeing our table and two of us not eating came over and asked how we liked our entrees and I was honest with him.  I didn't say spit/vomit - I'm not  a neanderthal - I just said it was visually unappealing and I didn't care for the dish.  He said "the strong, earthy flavor of the mushrooms were too much?" and I told him I wished, and that we felt like it had no flavor at all.  He sincerely apologized and I said No big deal, and I meant it.  You win some, you lose some.  Then the chef came out to our table to talk to me about it.  Sam something, I think.  He was very nice and said he was sorry the dish disappointed us and shook my hand.  We joked a bit and that was the end of it.  They didn't charge us for either entree ($29/ea) so that was nice.  I didn't ask for that.  Somebody said he was kinda famous and beat Bobby Flay?  I have no idea - I don't know who anybody is.  Passed on dessert.

Anyway, that was it and not sure if I'll go back.  Acoustics are very loud in there.  I could hear the conversation two tables over like they were sitting at our table.  Kinda distracting.  I hope everyone tries its and I hope it succeeds, it just wasn't the experience I had hoped for.

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another plug for Restaurant Constance, went last night and found it to be a really fun experience from the norm given that it's such a small space.  For 10 tables they had 2 waitresses, a manager, a host, two bussers (including Constance herself) and Chef Sam delivering at least one dish out to each table and greeting everyone.  Service was incredible.

Everything we ate just seemed fresh and of good quality which speaks to the farms they partner with.  The East Coast Oysters had a cool shaved ice wasabi.  We split the same kale salad with the awesome sweet potato croutons mentioned above and while sweet having only ate half of it I didn't get bothered by it but could see where that could get to be a bit much.  I had the short rib with potatoes and my wife got the red snapper.  Both presented well and we cleared our plates.  We also ordered the oatmeal cake desert with a caramel and cream gelato which I loved.  I don't have a sugary sweet tooth but more of a savory sweet (if that makes sense) and this hit the mark.  Similar to above for all these dishes plus two drinks we found the price to be reasonable.

Not Restaurant Constance related but prior to dinner we stopped at Midnight Mulligan having never been there before it was a pleasant surprise.  Everyone's food around us looked really good, maybe we were just hungry :)  Either way definitely somewhere to check out on another date night!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought State of Confusion was really good and their wide menu offers something for almost everyone.  Saw several Vegan options for my vegan friend, lots of meats, lots of Latin influenced items and their desserts are great too.  I had a bison burger and the Confusion potatoes which were good and a mini Snickers pie which was excellent.  Lot of outdoor seating mostly covered but some patio with umbrellas.  Saw several families there along with larger groups of 10 people too.  

20230516_110133.jpg

20230516_112039.jpg

20230516_112042.jpg

20230516_112120.jpg

20230516_112137.jpg

20230516_113058.jpg

20230516_113129.jpg

20230516_114041.jpg

20230516_115911.jpg

20230516_120923.jpg

20230516_121007.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

from the Triangle Biz Journal

""Biscuitville, a North Carolina favorite based out of Greensboro, was ranked voted the nation’s Best Fast Food Breakfast & Best Regional Fast Food restaurant in the 2023 USA Today Readers’ Choice 10Best contest.

The family-owned company was founded in 1966 and operates 74 restaurants today in its North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia markets.

Out of 20 nominees, Biscuitville was named the #1 Readers Choice in two different categories. The winners were announced July 28.

“We are honored by this recognition and are grateful for our teams who work hard every day to deliver on our purpose of Enhancing Lives by Serving Others,” said Biscuitville President and CEO Kathie Niven.""

2 metro area locations only on Derita Rd. by Concord Mills and one in Indian Trail on US 74 right after the tolled bypass turns off.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

2 metro area locations only on Derita Rd. by Concord Mills and one in Indian Trail on US 74 right after the tolled bypass turns off.  

Also Kings Mountain (I-85 and York road) and Lincolnton (E Main not far from 321).

• Like 1

The ruling is in, Charlotte is now undoubtedly world class:

Filings with the city of Charlotte in late May indicate that Cook Out-N Tryon St. Inc. is planning a Taco Roo's location at 9605 N. Tryon St. The project is described as an 1,820-square-foot taco restaurant. It would be on a 2.3-acre parcel.

This is in the Flying Saucer center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/03/cook-out-spinoff-taco-roos-restaurant-north-tryon.html

I am a moderate Cook Out fan, but I have a tough time imagining them making tacos well (and I certainly can not imagine them cutting a fresh lime)

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, kermit said:

The ruling is in, Charlotte is now undoubtedly world class:

This is in the Flying Saucer center.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/08/03/cook-out-spinoff-taco-roos-restaurant-north-tryon.html

I am a moderate Cook Out fan, but I have a tough time imagining them making tacos well (and I certainly can not imagine them cutting a fresh lime)

Chicken Roo is some kind of chicken chain Cook Out is exploring not the taco concept they had briefly in Wilmington.  Cook Out shakes are the best in the region.  

In other news I went by the new old Phat Burrito today and it was pretty busy.  Lots of people coming back and said so and it did taste the same even though the burritos seemed a little smaller and of course with 2023 prices.  

20230809_111837.jpg

FullSizeR(3).jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Why did they take all the brick off the former warehouse and cover it in painted stucco? Was it not in good enough shape? The remodeled building looks like a strip mall in suburban Phoenix. 

They're reinstating Phat Burrito in 2023, no one said they had good taste. 

• Haha 3

This Asheville based pizza place is coming to Charlotte and Southend.  Has anyone been to their Asheville location and your thoughts?

from the Biz Journal:

""Pie.Zaa has landed its first Charlotte location. The Asheville pizzeria has signed a long-term lease for a 2,503-square-foot space at 1440 S. Tryon St. in South End.

It expects to open in late 2023.

That building is also home to Wooden Robot Brewery, Vinyl and Brigid’s Irish Pub.""

• Like 1

This has been up for a few weeks at the new DEC. Work at Dos cominos at Ally is very active. Restaurant is going to be big. Hardly see any work going on at the trade n Tryon at the corner of independence tower however the outdoor bar area is active. Hopefully the food hall inside is further along than the corner spot. STK looks slow progress wise. Croquette looks almost ready to open. LU retail is…well y’all already know the status lol. I can’t believe the old Fitzgerald spot is still sitting empty. Hell what about the old Bentleys on 27? Someone needs to take that spot again. That restaurant might have been the best kept secret in all of uptown (view wise).
IMG_4195.thumb.jpeg.1e1914e05ba8e3cef47d8dd3f9b21114.jpeg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
Added pic
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

50 best restaurants in Charlotte area so says Charlotte Magazine

50 Best Restaurants in Charlotte: 2024 - Charlotte Magazine

Hot Take:  If Beef N Bottle opened today, it would be considered a dump and would go under in a month, no matter what the food tasted like.  But since Grandpa took Granny here in the 60's, it's on a Top 50 restaurant list?  There are countless places that make steaks as good or better that aren't located in a dark, loud, run down double wide equivalent.  I get the nostalgia...but it isn't a "Top 50" restaurant and I will die on that hill that it is just an average steakhouse in a dumpy building that still charges $59 for a 10oz filet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Hot Take:  If Beef N Bottle opened today, it would be considered a dump and would go under in a month, no matter what the food tasted like.  But since Grandpa took Granny here in the 60's, it's on a Top 50 restaurant list?  There are countless places that make steaks as good or better that aren't located in a dark, loud, run down double wide equivalent.  I get the nostalgia...but it isn't a "Top 50" restaurant and I will die on that hill that it is just an average steakhouse in a dumpy building that still charges $59 for a 10oz filet. 

No lies detected. There is not one single thing about that 1 inch thick pancake of a 10 oz filet that earns it a $59 price tag. When I ate there last there wasn't even a good sear on the steak. Minus the butter laden sides that'll smack ya in the face I was woefully disappointed.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

No lies detected. There is not one single thing about that 1 inch thick pancake of a 10 oz filet that earns it a $59 price tag. When I ate there last there wasn't even a good sear on the steak. Minus the butter laden sides that'll smack ya in the face I was woefully disappointed.

The comments on your twitter post should be wild. LOL.