Good New Restaurants

20 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^ I've been there a few times in the evening and there always seems to be a good crowd.  Food is good, but the menu is limited in terms of variety.  I know this isn't Seoul's aim, but why can't Charlotte have any legit Korean restaurants with the domed grill in the middle.  Is it NC laws or building codes or something?  Hibachi and hot pot restaurants get away with it somehow.  I know so many people who go to ATL just for Korean food.  If one were to ever open CLT, they would absolutely kill it.  

There was one down independence called Chowon Garden until a couple of years ago, and it was amazing. I'm thinking there HAD to have been a change in the laws because it always seemed to be doing steady business (although it was kind of big) and our Korean population alone should be enough to support one. To your point about ATL, I'm pretty sure Duluth alone has 20+ Korean bbq restaurants. 

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Workers from Seoul Food were uptown Thursday, handing out 10% off coupons.  That's an "uh oh" in my book.....but their Yelp reviews look pretty good.  Huh. 

Thought this place was absolutely terrible when we went shortly after opening, but the Yelp reviews seem more promising lately. May have to give it another try, but there also could be some Yelp-gaming involved. Doesn't seem to have much of a crowd whenever I go by. 

RE: Seoul Food. We went shortly after they opened and weren't overly impressed... Mainly it was the service that was lacking, typical for many new restaurants. Then gave it another try a few months later and they fixed pretty much all the issues that I saw. Always enjoyed the food. I would be surprised if they are struggling now. I have a few friends that live near there and they are regulars and have never said anything about it lacking business. At least during your typical dinner hours. 

6 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Stay tuned on this. 

And not sure why they're doing the gimmicky coupon things. Perhaps trying to push their new lunch hours. They do really well otherwise. 

Yay hope it's good news lol.  But yeah like nonillogical said, they're all over the place in Duluth.  Korean BBQ doesn't just appeal to Koreans/Asians either, it's just a great place for all ppl and it is ridiculously delicious food (fun time cooking it yourself too).  I have not been during lunch hours, but dinner hours are definitely a good crowd.  Especially during the warmer days with the patio/bar.  They have great selection on Asian beers/cocktails which probably explains why more ppl make it a hangout type place in the evening.

Ate at Seoul for the first time 2 weeks ago.  It was fantastic if you are feeling extra carnivorous.  Service was over-the-top engaged to the point it was almost comedic.

They are supposedly adding a roof-top patio.  I dunno, my sense was it was fairly busy for a week-night, but some new office space/apartments closer by would definitely help, as it stills a bit off the track.

A new Korean restaurant is coming to Camden Gallery, but I think (though I'm not sure) that it will be more of the fast casual variety.

Atlanta has a substantial Korean population.  Charlotte, not so much.  I certainly would be excited if a "traditional" Korean BBQ place opened

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Ate at Seoul for the first time 2 weeks ago.  It was fantastic if you are feeling extra carnivorous.  Service was over-the-top engaged to the point it was almost comedic.

They are supposedly adding a roof-top patio.  I dunno, my sense was it was fairly busy for a week-night, but some new office space/apartments closer by would definitely help, as it stills a bit off the track.

A new Korean restaurant is coming to Camden Gallery, but I think (though I'm not sure) that it will be more of the fast casual variety.

Atlanta has a substantial Korean population.  Charlotte, not so much.  I certainly would be excited if a "traditional" Korean BBQ place opened

I think they are going to be more like a Korean version of a Japanese bento box place. Still very welcome. 

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

They are supposedly adding a roof-top patio.

Not a rooftop patio but a giant deck on the side of the building  

As for Camden Gallery place it'll be a mix of fast casual and more sit down full service. Look for more on it very soon  

Way to spoil my surprise :( 

Edited by Jayvee

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

This sounds like it'll be a really good addition to the neighborhood. 

Any updates on the Fidelli place? 

Semi-related - everyone should check out Rai Lay if you like authentic Thai - nice place, and they bring some serious flavor with an eclectic menu. I love the spice and level 4 basil chicken is plenty hot for me, always nice to have one level left to kick it up to. 

Met a guy at Packard Place that had moved from Queens a few years ago.  He first told me about the "legit" halal cart at Trade and Tryon.  A couple of other friends (who grew up here but are VERY famiiar with 53rd and 6th in NYC) said it was really really good.

I finally went a couple of weeks ago and damn if I haven't been back 2-3 times since then.  Its crazy good.  Finally!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Farm Burger will be coming to Charlotte according to reports from Atlanta. I had a burger in their Asheville outpost and it was the best burger I ever had. Straight from the ranch to the table. http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2016/12/08/farm-burger-gets-beefy-investment-to-fuel-its.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2016-12-08&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1481235428&j=76697771

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Looks like Farm Burger will be coming to Charlotte according to reports from Atlanta. I had a burger in their Asheville outpost and it was the best burger I ever had. Straight from the ranch to the table. 

Really? I've been pretty loaded from brewing hopping in Asheville and never had more than an "average" burger there. Not bad by any means but not even close to my local burger place (The Lodge). We would mainly choose it because it was open late and counter service.

We have such a glut of burger places, they will need a good location (Southend maybe)?

Could have sworn I posted it, but I've just gotta say that O-ku is hands-down the best sushi in town now, and probably the 3rd best sushi meal I've had anywhere. It's pricey but not outrageous, and though we went on a Sunday night when it wasn't totally packed, I did not get the sense that it is trying to be a 'scene' like Enso, Nikko or Cowfish, just a nice place that takes their food seriously. 

I went to Fidelli yesterday for lunch. Interesting menu - either protein/sauce over penne pasta or in a cone. I opted for the cone, which around my office has already been named the "meat cone." And that name works, as a meatball cone is literally a meat cone. Though it might sound a bit weird, these bread cones are actually really damned good! There is also a market attached with a handful of snacks, wines, sauces, etc. 

13 minutes ago, ScottCLT said:

ughhhhhh stupid UP...Mods delete this please

14 minutes ago, ScottCLT said:

I went to Fidelli yesterday for lunch. Interesting menu - either protein/sauce over penne pasta or in a cone. I opted for the cone, which around my office has already been named the "meat cone." And that name works, as a meatball cone is literally a meat cone. Though it might sound a bit weird, these bread cones are actually really damned good! There is also a market attached with a handful of snacks, wines, sauces, etc. 

I was mildly impressed with their food, however I went day 1 so it was definitely good enough to go again once they've figured it out. The decor inside is quite nice and one the space is fleshed out, it will be an amazing addition to Camden. 

Also on the new restaurants front. Tavolo & Haberdish both rule

Edited by Jayvee

49 minutes ago, grodney said:

I went to Ink&Ivy Friday about 2:15pm.  Sat at the bar and had apps and beers.  Service was horrible.  Food was unimpressive, as was the tap list.  Pretty disappointing overall.

I find the food/service comments to be applicable to most of the Bottle Cap group bars.  At least for the first few months of operation then they seem to get it together.

• 5 weeks later...

Anybody been to Que Onda?  I walked by at 11:38 today and there were all of 4 people in there.  To be fair, I'm used to south-side, where if you don't get somewhere (Mimosa, Latta Arcade, etc.) by 11:30, you're screwed.  Maybe north-side is a later crowd?

4 stars on Yelp (24 reviews).  4.4 on Google (8 reviews).  Just wondering if it will continue the death train at that location?  Or does it have a chance?

21 minutes ago, grodney said:

Anybody been to Que Onda?  I walked by at 11:38 today and there were all of 4 people in there.  To be fair, I'm used to south-side, where if you don't get somewhere (Mimosa, Latta Arcade, etc.) by 11:30, you're screwed.  Maybe north-side is a later crowd?

4 stars on Yelp (24 reviews).  4.4 on Google (8 reviews).  Just wondering if it will continue the death train at that location?  Or does it have a chance?

Went the shortly after it opened and thought it was an overpriced version of Vida Vida.  Probably have to charge more to cover their lease but there are better options for Tex-Mex at a lower price IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...