Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I agree with everything you say, except for WHY the wastewater plant is WAY behind schedule and incredibly overbudget. The reason for most of that is due to micromanagement (micromismanagement???) by Coody. I can't provide any specifics since well, I like my job, but last second alterations by our good mayor designed to "save hundreds of thousands of dollars" ended up costing us millions along the way. One of the best examples of not seeing the forest for the trees I have ever personally seen in local government.

Well, it wouldn't be any fun if we agreed on everything. While I do not disagree on your point about Coody's actions, I think mistakes on the wastewater plant predate Coody. When I was in school in '98 and having to go to council meetings I remember the foot-dragging and delays in getting this project started well before Coody took office. I remember hearing things like "We're at 90 percent capacity right now" and thinking to myself, "Well, you better get cracking." But still it took years to get going. Given rising costs of construction materials, making the same mistake now on road infrastructure improvements will end up costing extra millions down the line as well.

I think it's time for some real news. I'm getting tired lately of reading too many controversial topics and statements (not by andrewjensen whose post is directly before this). Anyone have any pictures of the Lofts groundwork or at least one of the many smaller developments going on around Fayetteville (now that spring is here)?

Edited by cowbreath

I think it's time for some real news. I'm getting tired lately of reading too many controversial topics and statements (not by andrewjensen whose post is directly before this). Anyone have any pictures of the Lofts groundwork or at least one of the many smaller developments going on around Fayetteville (now that spring is here)?

I will try and get out a take a few pics today. There is alot going on at Bellafont right now. 4 or 5 new buildings have started going up over the past week.

Here's some news, although controversial...

I noticed that the former Sycamore and College site of the controversial Latino club that turned out to be a crime magnet and resources drain for the FPD is soon to be home to some low grade hip-hop club.

The lighted sign has been hand painted over with what amounts to a step above graffitti, "UMOB" whatever that means and I think it will be called "Lil Daddy's"; there is also a reference to Louisiana, although i believe it refers more to Katrina 'fugees than Cajun food.

I'm sure we'll be hearing about gunfire there on the news within the next 6-12 months.

Here's some news, although controversial...

I noticed that the former Sycamore and College site of the controversial Latino club that turned out to be a crime magnet and resources drain for the FPD is soon to be home to some low grade hip-hop club.

The lighted sign has been hand painted over with what amounts to a step above graffitti, "UMOB" whatever that means and I think it will be called "Lil Daddy's"; there is also a reference to Louisiana, although i believe it refers more to Katrina 'fugees than Cajun food.

I'm sure we'll be hearing about gunfire there on the news within the next 6-12 months.

I dunno if any of that is going to happen at all but I will agree with you about the sign--it is the single worst sign I have seen on a business anywhere in a long time!

I dunno if any of that is going to happen at all but I will agree with you about the sign--it is the single worst sign I have seen on a business anywhere in a long time!

Agreed. I felt like stopping my car, finding the owner, and offering to paint him a new sign if he'd buy me the paint and large stencil letters, and while it'd still look trashy, it'd look a heck of a lot better than that. However, I didn't do that.

Agreed. I felt like stopping my car, finding the owner, and offering to paint him a new sign if he'd buy me the paint and large stencil letters, and while it'd still look trashy, it'd look a heck of a lot better than that. However, I didn't do that.

Now that's funny. It is THAT bad. There ought to be some kind of signage standard.

Speaking of signs, has anyone noticed that Brenda's Bigger Burgers on 6th street no longer has one? It's just the building, with an "open" or "closed" sign depending on her whims. I love her Burgers.

I might have been too harsh, but its just disappointing to see one after the other, bad low grade businesses filter through that location.

Heck I'd even take a Krystalburger over that bar. :)

That site will forever be remembered as 'The Dome' for those of us that went to the UofA in the 80's and 90's.

Now that's funny. It is THAT bad. There ought to be some kind of signage standard.

Speaking of signs, has anyone noticed that Brenda's Bigger Burgers on 6th street no longer has one? It's just the building, with an "open" or "closed" sign depending on her whims. I love her Burgers.

I'm still tempted. Think the owner would be too offended?

I'm still tempted. Think the owner would be too offended?

As long as you're not too offensive about it. I think if the owner thinks it could boost business he/she might take it the right way. Unless it's one of those underground Hip Hop clubs... then the owner might just whip out a nine and shoot you. "UMOB" does sound underground to me. :lol:

I'm curious how do you all feel about signage in general in Fayetteville?

The guy that owns that property is Hossein Kouchebagh with Globe CEO, LLC.

I don't mean to trivialize your statements, but I live in what would be considered a "bad" neighborhood in Fayetteville. There are a lot of run down rental properties and such. In no way would I compare where I live or any of the "bad" neighborhoods in Fayetteville to Sweet Home in Little Rock or the soutside of Chicago. Crime is getting worse but lets not kid ourselves.

how about you guys just not talk to the owner at all or even get close to that club, incase you havent noticed, murder has gone up, and we all know about the infamous club death, oops i mean club west, i dont know how old everyone is in this forum, but im 19, i still hang around while not working or at school, i hear things, and i see them, and NWA isnt peachy anymore, not one bit, maybe when you see your friends get stabbed in 9th grade over a basketball game gone bad at Southwest Junior High in Sdale, or have to fall asleep at your friends house on huntsville in south side fayetteville while listening to gunfire, then maybe youll grasp the fact that TWO PEOPLE WERE MURDERED LAST WEEK. We cant joke about this stuff anymore guys, its a reality, and its getting worse, and the drugs are just as bad here, as anyother metro in the country.

Crime is definitely on the rise in NWA.

I can recall a time not too long ago that an armed robbery in NWA would have been major news.

Now it seems like we are having two a day up here.

Its very sad.

Crime is definitely on the rise in NWA.

I can recall a time not too long ago that an armed robbery in NWA would have been major news.

Now it seems like we are having two a day up here.

Its very sad.

It's when you quit hearing about them. That's when the crime is bad.

I'm curious how do you all feel about signage in general in Fayetteville?

The guy that owns that property is Hossein Kouchebagh with Globe CEO, LLC.

Good point. It's not great, but that place is exceptionally bad. Most of College is pretty poor when it comes to that, but that street needs some work.

I agree its very sad...we need to get all the illegal mexicans and send everyone of them back to where they came from...I'm afraid that having all of the illegal mexicans here with no work is really starting to hurt our region a lot. They come here thinking they are going to have a better life, but once they get here and can't get a job because they are illegal they go and do what they have to survive and a lot of times that means hurting other people.

If you didn't notice the three robberies in Fayetteville last week were commited by a 16 year old teenager who was white and not hispanic.

I'm gonna say this once and only once. Keep all Immigration related posts to the thread in the coffeehouse. I'm honestly sick of reading all of these arguments in 5 different topics. Anyone who doesn't follow these rules will face consequences.

Now if it isn't too much trouble, let's try and talk about the city of Fayetteville on this thread.

I'm gonna say this once and only once. Keep all Immigration related posts to the thread in the coffeehouse. I'm honestly sick of reading all of these arguments in 5 different topics. Anyone who doesn't follow these rules will face consequences.

Now if it isn't too much trouble, let's try and talk about the city of Fayetteville on this thread.

Damn Mcheiss your taking the fun out of everything :D

Thanks, Matt. I agree with your edict 100%.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the road impact fees election. Wonder what the chances of the absentee ballots changing the outcome are? If I knew someone who had one I'd be contacting them to send in by express mail- that is- if it was a vote to my liking. ;)

Edited by zman9810

I'm surprised no one has commented on the road impact fees election. Wonder what the chances of the absentee ballots changing the outcome are? If I knew someone who had one I'd be contacting them to send in by express mail- that is- if it was a vote to my liking. ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot. The impact fees won by 1 vote I think (pending the absentee ballots). I wish I could put a poll here to see what we think about it. Interesting to see if trends exist in our thinking or not on it.