Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

I hate to post on top of myself, but there was an interesting, related editorial in the newspaper about descending views on Coody's leadership. Excuse me if it is mute because of many similar editorials. I don't read them so often but should. Hurricane Fran: Coody Sucks

I apologize for the title, Fran, just seemed fun. Summary is Fran is a environmentalist/small-town preservationist. Change is inevitable is my reaction, and I wish the environment could be preserved and can't sometimes I guess. This isn't heaven.

Very hystionic article.

I'd offer as a rebuttal: "Jeez, you'd think the master plan called for 30 story buildings downtown. These environmentalists need to go set up camp in a field in Newton County. They live in a city which will inevitably grow. Smart growth is rarely even given consideration in cities of similar size. Perhaps when there are strip malls from Prairie Grove to Huntsville, she could go hug the tiny saplings in all of the parking lot berms. Afterall, if we don't grow up, we will continue to grow out."

Very hystionic article.

I'd offer as a rebuttal: "Jeez, you'd think the master plan called for 30 story buildings downtown. These environmentalists need to go set up camp in a field in Newton County. They live in a city which will inevitably grow. Smart growth is rarely even given consideration in cities of similar size. Perhaps when there are strip malls from Prairie Grove to Huntsville, she could go hug the tiny saplings in all of the parking lot berms. Afterall, if we don't grow up, we will continue to grow out."

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy about Fayetteville. Why are there so many morons like this here? I was born here and I love my town and I know that change and development will only help our city grow and become a regional draw. If these people want to live in a place that does not grow and does not change, then I would suggest they move to portions of SE Arkansas or almost anywhere in the NE corner of the country. Many cities there have declining populations and skyrocketing unemployment rates.

I like trees as much as the next person but I sure as hell don't want to go around hugging them.

This is the kind of crap that drives me crazy about Fayetteville. Why are there so many morons like this here? I was born here and I love my town and I know that change and development will only help our city grow and become a regional draw. If these people want to live in a place that does not grow and does not change, then I would suggest they move to portions of SE Arkansas or almost anywhere in the NE corner of the country. Many cities there have declining populations and skyrocketing unemployment rates.

I like trees as much as the next person but I sure as hell don't want to go around hugging them.

I wonder what suggestions Fran would have for avoiding sprawl to outlying areas like the aforementioned wetlands in the article. Would it conflict with her Preservationist views about downtown. Bottom line is vertical development will happen when land prices skyrocket, right?

In comparison, strict preservationist Paula Marinoni has land available for purchase near the Wedington/I-540 exit. That land is so beautiful and I love the ranch style there with the farm and the hill, and also across I-540 where the Mountain Ranch development was/is to go. Could it be conflict of values? Or could it be also conflict of interest (push preservation of downtown so that people will purchase her open land near the bypass)?

Yeah I saw that in the paper and have been waiting to get off work to comment about it on here as well. I of course agree with you guys. I think it's just crazy that some people really seem to think that zero growth is a good thing and want to keep everything exactly the same. I'm sure there are people who miss the 1950's society and values but you just can't force things to stay the same. It doesn't work that way, change is inevitable. But yeah I really thought the environmentalist moniker was great too. So let's see, she'd rather have suburbs extend out to Newton County near the end of our lifetimes? Having development focused in one concentrated area is a lot better than having it spread out all over the Ozarks. I keep getting the impression people like her think a handful of people are 'ruining' Fayetteville. When it seems more to me that there's a handful of people holding back important growth. I have no problems with controlling growth. I'm not saying let's shove a 30 story building on Dickson St. But it seems silly to me to expect huge areas of the city to stay 3 stories or under. Especially when some of those areas are basically in downtown Fayetteville. Building heights are fine, but just not at such ridiculously low settings.

Fran Alexander is off on her facts- when the city originally purchased the North Industrial Park property it didn't have "extensive wetland characteristics". Only a very small portion was wetlands- this fact was discussed many times when Mr Haynes offered to buy it.

While I'm all for conserving our environment and protecting endangered species, I've noticed that if you let loose a group of indivduals that have the mind-set of protecting the enviroment they will find "an amazing diversity of wildlife" where ever they look.

If Mr Haynes had wanted to he could have filled in the wetlands he bought and used a mitigation bank http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/facts/fact16.html to make up for it. There's land offered for that use on Highway 412 a few miles out towards Siloam Springs. That would give her something to write about for awhile. :cry:

I read an article today that Commissioner Clark was vetoed off of the commission last night. I don't know exactly what was going on, but sounded like Coody motioned for it because of abusive-like behavior towards some council members. Read About It Here It sounded like my job a little bit. I can't imagine the level of egos that could possibly be dealt with at that level since the council is so responsible for such large decisions for Fayetteville. Of course, my abusers have no idea of what level of stress they cause and are more concerned about getting their way. Their supporters have no understanding of what that person puts others through. I'm guessing that is what might be going on with Clark, Cook, and Jordans' opinions about what happened. Of course it is subjective speculation, which is why I don't write articles for newspapers. Sorry to Clark, Cook, and Jordan for presenting this story with obvious bias.

I wonder if this could also have anything to do with Coody being concerned that Fayetteville is becoming too anti-development. Not to say he wanted to get rid of Clark for that. But I wonder if it could have played into it as well.

Looks like Coody chose to put up rather than shut up about the concerns he recently expressed.

I think its a good sign.

Of course, in my opinion, Coody has a good and realistic vision for Fayetteville's future.

I read an article today that Commissioner Clark was vetoed off of the commission last night. I don't know exactly what was going on, but sounded like Coody motioned for it because of abusive-like behavior towards some council members. Read About It Here It sounded like my job a little bit. I can't imagine the level of egos that could possibly be dealt with at that level since the council is so responsible for such large decisions for Fayetteville. Of course, my abusers have no idea of what level of stress they cause and are more concerned about getting their way. Their supporters have no understanding of what that person puts others through. I'm guessing that is what might be going on with Clark, Cook, and Jordans' opinions about what happened. Of course it is subjective speculation, which is why I don't write articles for newspapers. Sorry to Clark, Cook, and Jordan for presenting this story with obvious bias.

This is exactly what I was referring to in an earlier post about Coody. It just irks me (a pet peeve of mine), when people in a leadership position, don't resemble qualities that are often associated with proper leadership. Just like the article quoted, if Coody really felt this about Clark, he should have taken care of it at the appropriate time by bringing it up, instead of like this. Oh well.

This is exactly what I was referring to in an earlier post about Coody. It just irks me (a pet peeve of mine), when people in a leadership position, don't resemble qualities that are often associated with proper leadership. Just like the article quoted, if Coody really felt this about Clark, he should have taken care of it at the appropriate time by bringing it up, instead of like this. Oh well.

It did kind of sound harsh, but I don't remember if "abusive" was his language or the papers. Some of his points were good in general about discussion being good but other activities not being good. I just hope if the paper didn't adequately express his methodology that he would have gone to Clark and talk about it first.

I wonder what suggestions Fran would have for avoiding sprawl to outlying areas like the aforementioned wetlands in the article. Would it conflict with her Preservationist views about downtown. Bottom line is vertical development will happen when land prices skyrocket, right?

In comparison, strict preservationist Paula Marinoni has land available for purchase near the Wedington/I-540 exit. That land is so beautiful and I love the ranch style there with the farm and the hill, and also across I-540 where the Mountain Ranch development was/is to go. Could it be conflict of values? Or could it be also conflict of interest (push preservation of downtown so that people will purchase her open land near the bypass)?

That comment about Paula Marinoni could not be farther from the truth. I have been a family friend for over 10 years and I can attest to the passion this lady has for preserving some of the historic aspects of our city.

That comment about Paula Marinoni could not be farther from the truth. I have been a family friend for over 10 years and I can attest to the passion this lady has for preserving some of the historic aspects of our city.

I think many of us respect and believe in preserving historic aspects of the city. But we don't have the same view that she does. I'm sure she's a very nice person, but I just don't agree with all her ideas.

Edited by Mith242

Fran Alexander is off on her facts- when the city originally purchased the North Industrial Park property it didn't have "extensive wetland characteristics". Only a very small portion was wetlands- this fact was discussed many times when Mr Haynes offered to buy it.

While I'm all for conserving our environment and protecting endangered species, I've noticed that if you let loose a group of indivduals that have the mind-set of protecting the enviroment they will find "an amazing diversity of wildlife" where ever they look.

If Mr Haynes had wanted to he could have filled in the wetlands he bought and used a mitigation bank http://www.epa.gov/owow/wetlands/facts/fact16.html to make up for it. There's land offered for that use on Highway 412 a few miles out towards Siloam Springs. That would give her something to write about for awhile. :cry:

Thanks, zman, I feel smarter having read that. It was a great point. I missed it the first time because my reply was at the same time.

If you are addressing my comments about her possibly conflicting values/interests in selling the land off of Wedington/540, then that is good to hear that she isn't offering ill motivations/intentions in doing it. Her views on historical preservation as seen in her cable tv segment hasn't really connected with me. I would not be able to conclude anything concrete about historical preservation of certain things based on her arguments.

Thought I'd try to get us discussing something different. I'm curious to see what people's opinions are on the road impact fees. Those against it say it's unfair and developers will simply pass the cost along to others. They also think it will send business elsewhere in NWA. Proponents say it's a fair way to help pay for infrastructure. That new people living on the outskirts of the city help drive up the need and costs for more infrastructure. While I am worried about Fayetteville becoming more 'anti-business' I would like to find some way to encourage people and developers to focus more near the center of the city rather than the outskirts. I don't even mean it has to be downtown Fayetteville. There's plenty of space along College Ave.

Thought I'd try to get us discussing something different. I'm curious to see what people's opinions are on the road impact fees. Those against it say it's unfair and developers will simply pass the cost along to others. They also think it will send business elsewhere in NWA. Proponents say it's a fair way to help pay for infrastructure. That new people living on the outskirts of the city help drive up the need and costs for more infrastructure. While I am worried about Fayetteville becoming more 'anti-business' I would like to find some way to encourage people and developers to focus more near the center of the city rather than the outskirts. I don't even mean it has to be downtown Fayetteville. There's plenty of space along College Ave.

From what I have seen about it, it seems that, as with most political issues, the debate is being dominated by polar opposite opinions on the situation.

Those in most vocally in favor of the impact fees seem to honestly have an anti-development bent.

Those most vocally opposing are real estate developers.

As a resident of Fayetteville, I have absolutely no problem with the impact fees. I am comfortable with a slowly growing city.

The arguement I don't understand is the one from the anti-impact fee side, stating that impact fees will discourage development and cost the city sales tax revenue in the future....

Sales tax revenue...isn't that how we fix our congested roads? Seems logical to take care of some of that on the front end, no?

Sorry to change the subject I just started but I got an interesting e-mail today.

City Plan 2025 would not have happened without your participation.

Please join us tomorrow at noon in Room 326 for a press conference to

announce the winning of this prestigious award from the Congress for the New

Urbanism. Information is attached.

Karen Minkel

Senior Long Range Planner

City of Fayetteville

Room 326 where? Could this be in the City Administration Bldg? Seems like most time they do stuff like this it's the Fayetteville Town Center though. Sounds like this is a somewhat big international award. Now if we can just follow the 2025 Plan. :D

Sorry to change the subject I just started but I got an interesting e-mail today.

City Plan 2025 would not have happened without your participation.

Please join us tomorrow at noon in Room 326 for a press conference to

announce the winning of this prestigious award from the Congress for the New

Urbanism. Information is attached.

Karen Minkel

Senior Long Range Planner

City of Fayetteville

Room 326 where? Could this be in the City Administration Bldg? Seems like most time they do stuff like this it's the Fayetteville Town Center though. Sounds like this is a somewhat big international award. Now if we can just follow the 2025 Plan. :D

Cool, congrats. :thumbsup:

Cool, congrats. :thumbsup:

I've been disappointed there's pretty much been no media coverage of this so far. I'm hoping maybe they're just a little late and will cover it more tomorrow. I don't know how big of an award this is or hard it is to get it but it sounds to me like a pretty big deal.

There was a good editorial giving support to why having two high schools would be better for Fayetteville. I have felt this way, but wondered why it would be good for them. NWANEWS.com - Editorial on Splitting Up FHS

In addressing the football classification ramifications, it would seem our classification is already inflated and our class size in Fayetteville (as well as other high schools splitting around here) could influence our classification staying the same as the other schools.

There was a good editorial giving support to why having two high schools would be better for Fayetteville. I have felt this way, but wondered why it would be good for them. NWANEWS.com - Editorial on Splitting Up FHS

In addressing the football classification ramifications, it would seem our classification is already inflated and our class size in Fayetteville (as well as other high schools splitting around here) could influence our classification staying the same as the other schools.

I would have to agree with what he said too. I had mentioned the driving problem when this was first announced. Fayetteville's attendence boundaries go to the Madison county line. That is going to be a long drive to NW Fayetteville everyday for hundreds of students that live out in the Goshen area.