Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Bentonville definitely gets the lions share of our out of town visitors.

I don't know if I agree with the implication that these are the same people who should be considered when determining the ideal location for a museum, though.

Nowadays, I'd wager most business travelers see very little of our region aside from Bentonville/Rogers. That's the nature of the business traveler beast. Most business travelers travel alone, and when I travel for business, most often I am content to order in and check email at the hotel.

What I see in downtown Fayetteville is the opportunity for synergy with other cultural attractions making for a one stop cultural destination for local residents and regional residents alike.

Outside of a national tourist draw like Little Rock's Clinton Library, I just don't see anything in our metro caputuring "tourism dollars" from overnight business travelers.

Like most everything else in our little region, Wal-Mart's influence skews otherwise useful economic data like "out of town visitors" statistics.

Bentonville definitely gets the lions share of our out of town visitors.

I don't know if I agree with the implication that these are the same people who should be considered when determining the ideal location for a museum, though.

Nowadays, I'd wager most business travelers see very little of our region aside from Bentonville/Rogers. That's the nature of the business traveler beast. Most business travelers travel alone, and when I travel for business, most often I am content to order in and check email at the hotel.

What I see in downtown Fayetteville is the opportunity for synergy with other cultural attractions making for a one stop cultural destination for local residents and regional residents alike.

Outside of a national tourist draw like Little Rock's Clinton Library, I just don't see anything in our metro caputuring "tourism dollars" from overnight business travelers.

Like most everything else in our little region, Wal-Mart's influence skews otherwise useful economic data like "out of town visitors" statistics.

Yeah I'd really like our metro to do something to appeal to visitors. You see Fayetteville mentioned a lot as a great place to live. But that doesn't mean people are going to come by here just to check it out. Arkansas generally appeals to tourists for our outdoor scenery. There are a few things like the Clinton Library. But otherwise few people come to Arkansas to check out any of the urban areas. But I think NWA has a lot of potential and I think we should be able to develop more as a destination point. Have something for people wanting to do here in the metro but also have the nearby Ozarks (like the Buffalo Natl River) if people want to go do something outdoors as well. For that matter you have Eureka Springs nearby as well. Give people more options than just coming to the area check out the natural scenery and then leave.

Yeah I'd really like our metro to do something to appeal to visitors. You see Fayetteville mentioned a lot as a great place to live. But that doesn't mean people are going to come by here just to check it out. Arkansas generally appeals to tourists for our outdoor scenery. There are a few things like the Clinton Library. But otherwise few people come to Arkansas to check out any of the urban areas. But I think NWA has a lot of potential and I think we should be able to develop more as a destination point. Have something for people wanting to do here in the metro but also have the nearby Ozarks (like the Buffalo Natl River) if people want to go do something outdoors as well. For that matter you have Eureka Springs nearby as well. Give people more options than just coming to the area check out the natural scenery and then leave.

[slightly off-topic, but relevant]

I know it's not being built in Fayetteville, but I believe the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art will do for NWA what the Clinton Presidential Library does for Little Rock. I know many people believe Crystal Bridges will just be a typical art museum, but the architectural element alone parallels the Clinton Library. I also believe people will find Crystal Bridges more interesting than the Clinton Library. Unless, of course they're a real cigar aficionado. ;)

But, seriously I believe all the cities in NWA will benefit from Crystal Bridges and when they build the Children's Museum and possibly the Science Museum in Bentonville that will really create a solid museum culture for our metro. Fayetteville will still draw those same tourists to discover Dickson St and the Fayetteville Square, but getting those tourists to our metro is a priority and Crystal Bridges will respond to that priority for the entire metro.

[slightly off-topic, but relevant]

I know it's not being built in Fayetteville, but I believe the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art will do for NWA what the Clinton Presidential Library does for Little Rock. I know many people believe Crystal Bridges will just be a typical art museum, but the architectural element alone parallels the Clinton Library. I also believe people will find Crystal Bridges more interesting than the Clinton Library. Unless, of course they're a real cigar aficionado. ;)

But, seriously I believe all the cities in NWA will benefit from Crystal Bridges and when they build the Children's Museum and possibly the Science Museum in Bentonville that will really create a solid museum culture for our metro. Fayetteville will still draw those same tourists to discover Dickson St and the Fayetteville Square, but getting those tourists to our metro is a priority and Crystal Bridges will respond to that priority for the entire metro.

I admit I have hoped that Crystal Bridges will do for NWA what the Presidential Library has done for Little Rock. When it's all said and done I can't really complain too much. While it would be nice to have it in Fayetteville, having in the metro is still great.

I admit I have hoped that Crystal Bridges will do for NWA what the Presidential Library has done for Little Rock. When it's all said and done I can't really complain too much. While it would be nice to have it in Fayetteville, having in the metro is still great.

I know it's hard to accept anything going to a city you don't live in, but in this unique, yet very awkward metro it's just a reality. The only way each city will be able to survive without becoming a bedroom community to one of the others is too focus on their strengths and start building on those strengths before it's too late. Fayetteville has the advantage of being geared more to the arts, live music and partying, so pumping up those attractions is better than diverting energies to something else like a Science Museum. None of those attractions really have a national draw, but Crystal Bridges will and those tourists will most likely look for what Fayetteville has whejn none of the other cities have it.

I guess I just think museums would be a great fit for Fayetteville. But hey I admit I'm one of those Fayetteville residents who have been spoiled and used to everything being in Fayetteville in the past. Although I might be a bit disappointed some of these other amenities won't be in Fayetteville I don't want to give the impression that I won't support them being in another NWA city. I think there's just also a frustration in some Fayetteville residents who feel the city has cost it's position as being the 'center' of NWA by some of it's policies. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I do hear some frustration by some residents who feel that way though.

I guess I just think museums would be a great fit for Fayetteville. But hey I admit I'm one of those Fayetteville residents who have been spoiled and used to everything being in Fayetteville in the past. Although I might be a bit disappointed some of these other amenities won't be in Fayetteville I don't want to give the impression that I won't support them being in another NWA city. I think there's just also a frustration in some Fayetteville residents who feel the city has cost it's position as being the 'center' of NWA by some of it's policies. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I do hear some frustration by some residents who feel that way though.

I'm not saying that a Science Museum wouldn't fit well in Fayetteville because it would. I would just rather have all the major museums grouped together in one city than spread out and Crystal Bridges should be the anchor for all those museums. The same way I'd like all the major arts and entertainment grouped together on and around Dickson St in Fayetteville. Rogers will mainly be focused on Pinnacle Hills (mini-Plano) and Springdale focused on Sports.

My "vision" for NWA is that each city have it's own identity with it's own strengths instead of each city having a little bit of what the other cities have making for 4 weaker cities.

I'm not saying that a Science Museum wouldn't fit well in Fayetteville because it would. I would just rather have all the major museums grouped together in one city than spread out and Crystal Bridges should be the anchor for all those museums. The same way I'd like all the major arts and entertainment grouped together on and around Dickson St in Fayetteville. Rogers will mainly be focused on Pinnacle Hills (mini-Plano) and Springdale focused on Sports.

My "vision" for NWA is that each city have it's own identity with it's own strengths instead of each city having a little bit of what the other cities have making for 4 weaker cities.

Springdale focused on Sports? I think that Fayetteville has the entire state covered on sports.

Springdale focused on Sports? I think that Fayetteville has the entire state covered on sports.

i think fayetteville is nice. it could actually be made into a sports resort city if the state and ppl wanted to put the effort into it. its a perfect mix of nature and city

Sorry, I meant non-cellegiate sports. College towns get sports by default without having to focus on them. So yeah, Springdale is more focused on sports than any other NWA city.

i think fayetteville is nice. it could actually be made into a sports resort city if the state and ppl wanted to put the effort into it. its a perfect mix of nature and city

Fayetteville will probably upgrade its amenities too to attract students/fans/businesses in a way similar to other schools. More condos and bars as well as other nicer developments in and around the arkansas campus of Fayetteville will occur I bet. I'm just thinking this is the trend of things and part of the logical ends of "fund-raising" or "nationally-competitive" efforts by Frank Broyles and John White to be able to compete with urban areas for more students.

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't really a development item- but has anyone else been to downtown Fayetteville right around the EJ Ball building after dark lately? There is some type of ventilation fan that is making a screeching noise that can be heard for blocks. I think is atop the EJ Ball building. Where ever it is it is very annoying and I bet guests at the Cosmopolitan Hotel can hear it in their rooms. It can be heard during the day but with all the noise around it doesn't stand out like at night. If anyone has a solution or a contact to let the owners know the problem I think it would be most welcome. :)

This isn't really a development item- but has anyone else been to downtown Fayetteville right around the EJ Ball building after dark lately? There is some type of ventilation fan that is making a screeching noise that can be heard for blocks. I think is atop the EJ Ball building. Where ever it is it is very annoying and I bet guests at the Cosmopolitan Hotel can hear it in their rooms. It can be heard during the day but with all the noise around it doesn't stand out like at night. If anyone has a solution or a contact to let the owners know the problem I think it would be most welcome. :)

Haven't they been doing interior work on EJ Ball? I would try contacting the city adminstration about that one.

ppl,

thought there was already a topic on the botanical gardens of the ozarks but after scrolling through the nwa topic list twice, i gave up. anyhow, i'm posting this botanical garden tid bit here. a guy who works at the gardens informed me that there is going to be an "arkansas ozarks" themed area. and in said area of the gardens a visitor will see an old, dilapidated shack with a rusted-out car out front. i'm pretty sure he was serious, and i think it will be built soon.

ppl,

thought there was already a topic on the botanical gardens of the ozarks but after scrolling through the nwa topic list twice, i gave up. anyhow, i'm posting this botanical garden tid bit here. a guy who works at the gardens informed me that there is going to be an "arkansas ozarks" themed area. and in said area of the gardens a visitor will see an old, dilapidated shack with a rusted-out car out front. i'm pretty sure he was serious, and i think it will be built soon.

Seriously? I really hope not. Don't people want to get away from the hillybilly stereotype? But then they have to do something like this. Maybe it is just me.

Seriously? I really hope not. Don't people want to get away from the hillybilly stereotype? But then they have to do something like this. Maybe it is just me.

I actually like the concept. It's easy to see why others might see it as offensive and maybe even regressive to the image of the Ozarks, but it shouldn't be. We are talking about a garden here and I'm sure everyone has seen those popular rusted metal objects in gardens everywhere. I've seen rusted out metal benches, motors, toilets, etc. in the best gardens out there. One way to look at it is the that the vines and shrubbery growing over the rusted out car and a dilapidated shack are a depiction of an old image of the Ozarks being worn away by nature. It will be an impressive garden.

We're Arkansas. Regardless of what you tell folks from other states who have never visited here, they will harbor their comfortable stereotypes about Arkansas that make them feel better about wherever they live.

I don't know if this exhibit is real, but if it is, I think it will be a nice tongue-in-cheek jab AT the stereotypes, presented in the fantastic context of a modern botanical garden that any city the size of Fayetteville would consider itself lucky to have.

I personally don't mind the stereotype, but thats because I don't live in a shack in the hills with rusted out cars, nor do I know anyone who does.

I wouldn't mind owning a shack out in Winslow, though, if for nothing else, just to get away and chill out once in a while. :rolleyes:

In an ideal world we wouldn't worry about how a Ozarks Hillbilly display would reflect on the area because we are comfortable with our own image. In reality I think it would indeed reflect badly on the area and further the negative stereotype that is associated with Arkansas in general. Let people go to Silver Dollar City to see that sort of display.

The Gardens will be a tourist draw that will leave a distinct image in visitors minds. It's a chance to show that the area has grown beyond the backwoods image that it has in some people's minds.

I didn't like it at first, but then I thought about it in context of the botanical gardens and I like it a lot more. For a group to move past a stereotype they first have to acknowledge that the information that the stereotype is based on is actually grounded in at least some reality and then change that reality. I think we have done that. But after that, the stereotype sticks around until it almost becomes a caricature of a caricature, which is what this garden is in at least a small way. At that point it doesn't change, it just stops being a negative.

I didn't like it at first, but then I thought about it in context of the botanical gardens and I like it a lot more. For a group to move past a stereotype they first have to acknowledge that the information that the stereotype is based on is actually grounded in at least some reality and then change that reality. I think we have done that. But after that, the stereotype sticks around until it almost becomes a caricature of a caricature, which is what this garden is in at least a small way. At that point it doesn't change, it just stops being a negative.

It couldn't have been said better. :thumbsup:

Right on, Man. I think it would be funny and noteworthy. Everyone likes those who can poke fun at themselves.

Here's a great example of infill/redevelopment in the downtown/Dickson Street area. This little project is located at 221 N. Locust which is just south of the Bakery Building on the east side of the alley. According to the permit papers it's called the "Locust Townhouses". I don't know if they will be rentals or for sale but it stands to reason that they will be relatively affordable right off of Dickson Street. I think there was a small house there before.

DSCN0365.jpg