Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Sounds like we might not end up having the taller powerlines across Dickson. The Arkansas Public Service Commission has stated Fayetteville can comment but not intervene. This makes it sounds like to me that if SWEPCO really wants to put in the taller powerline poles then there's not really anyone who can stand in their way. I wonder if there's anything else the city could do to make things hard on SWEPCO, even if it's not related to this. Just something to try to put some leverage on them.

I'm afraid that the new, taller power lines will be the future of Gregg Ave, crossing Dickson, Lafayette, and Maple. I really wish there was some kind of leverage that the city or property owners could use to implement an alternate solution.

I would really like to hear someone from SWEPCO other than Deweese address this issue with interested parties in Fayetteville. His style of "communication" on this issue is not informative. I've heard him speak at three different meetings and each time has he has failed to answered specific questions with specific answers. About three months ago I contacted him via phone to see if I could cut through the rhetoric and understand the issue better... to get some facts... to get an informed SWEPCO perspective... but I ended the conversation in less than five minutes due to the evasiveness and ambiguity. It sure gives the impression that SWEPCO is in fact manipulating this process to avoid an open assessment of the alternatives.

Deweese's latest comments (last week) included "you wouldn't want to put the lines underground anyway because the structures at either end of the buried lines are very large and would be close to Dickson Street." But he would not define "large structures", he could not offer photos, sketches, or suggested locations of these large structures. He is concerned that the request for burying the lines would not meet public expectations anyway.

I also think it's terrible that the hearing is in LR for a Fayetteville issue and that to "intervene" in this process the property owner has to pretty much hire a lawyer to address the commission. So basically to address this issue with the commission someone has to have the resources of time, travel, and an attorney. And it appears that intervention is only available to property owners with the easements. All other interested parties can only make public statements.

This is a tough issue and there may not be a "best" solution. But if the gigantic powerlines have to be the solution it would make more sense for the affected property owners, the city of Fayetteville, and other interested citizens of Fayetteville to have enough info to come to the same conclusion that SWEPCO has. My experience with this issue has been frustrating. I'm sure if I had $5m in my pocket to pay to bury the lines I (or others in the meetings I

The signs where it says 400 acres for sale use to be Mountain Ranch signs as well. Terminella is having some financial issues and is having to liquidate from what I believe.

They are selling the complex at North Street and Gregg as well. Just west of Gregg on North Street.

I saw both signs yesterday while driving on 540. The Mountain Ranch development sign was at the North East Corner and little further south was the 400 acres for sale sign.

I'm afraid that the new, taller power lines will be the future of Gregg Ave, crossing Dickson, Lafayette, and Maple. I really wish there was some kind of leverage that the city or property owners could use to implement an alternate solution.

I would really like to hear someone from SWEPCO other than Deweese address this issue with interested parties in Fayetteville. His style of "communication" on this issue is not informative. I've heard him speak at three different meetings and each time has he has failed to answered specific questions with specific answers. About three months ago I contacted him via phone to see if I could cut through the rhetoric and understand the issue better... to get some facts... to get an informed SWEPCO perspective... but I ended the conversation in less than five minutes due to the evasiveness and ambiguity. It sure gives the impression that SWEPCO is in fact manipulating this process to avoid an open assessment of the alternatives.

Deweese's latest comments (last week) included "you wouldn't want to put the lines underground anyway because the structures at either end of the buried lines are very large and would be close to Dickson Street." But he would not define "large structures", he could not offer photos, sketches, or suggested locations of these large structures. He is concerned that the request for burying the lines would not meet public expectations anyway.

I also think it's terrible that the hearing is in LR for a Fayetteville issue and that to "intervene" in this process the property owner has to pretty much hire a lawyer to address the commission. So basically to address this issue with the commission someone has to have the resources of time, travel, and an attorney. And it appears that intervention is only available to property owners with the easements. All other interested parties can only make public statements.

This is a tough issue and there may not be a "best" solution. But if the gigantic powerlines have to be the solution it would make more sense for the affected property owners, the city of Fayetteville, and other interested citizens of Fayetteville to have enough info to come to the same conclusion that SWEPCO has. My experience with this issue has been frustrating. I'm sure if I had $5m in my pocket to pay to bury the lines I (or others in the meetings I

Yeah while Aporkalypse mentioned that a city in Texas successfully fought something like this it doesn't sound like Fayetteville is going to have the same success. Perhaps because of how things are set up in Arkansas. It's unfortunate that Fayetteville doesn't seem to have many options here. SWEPCO's handling of the situation has only made things worse. Yeah I'm sure everyone would rather have the big power line poles than the 'large structures' on both sides of the underground lines. :rolleyes:

I don't think Fayetteville will have the time and resources to fight this. We are such a dysfunctional city already with everything having to be argued, and I'm almost just ready to blame the citizens, if not the environment that the council creates for its citizens.

NWANEWS.com Article on Upcoming Council Agenda

I don't think Fayetteville will have the time and resources to fight this. We are such a dysfunctional city already with everything having to be argued, and I'm almost just ready to blame the citizens, if not the environment that the council creates for its citizens.

NWANEWS.com Article on Upcoming Council Agenda

That and just the way things seem to be set up here in Arkansas doesn't seem to be helping Fayetteville either. Unfortunately, there really doesn't seem like much we can do.

That and just the way things seem to be set up here in Arkansas doesn't seem to be helping Fayetteville either. Unfortunately, there really doesn't seem like much we can do.

Not to be melodramatic, but I see this impending eyesore as a tragedy for all who love Fayetteville and its scenic beauty.

These polls are hideous and will greatly detract from one of Fayetteville's greatest assets.

If only there was an alternative energy company we could all threaten to switch to.

I am outraged that this company shows such little regard for our city and intends to damage our downtown environment in this manner.

We need some folks tying themselves to the existing poles or something.

Not to be melodramatic, but I see this impending eyesore as a tragedy for all who love Fayetteville and its scenic beauty.

These polls are hideous and will greatly detract from one of Fayetteville's greatest assets.

If only there was an alternative energy company we could all threaten to switch to.

I am outraged that this company shows such little regard for our city and intends to damage our downtown environment in this manner.

We need some folks tying themselves to the existing poles or something.

You know I've wondered about Ozark Electric. I know they're in the area but I've never been in an area where they were the provider. I seem to remember hearing some good things about them from one old friend who lived on the west side of Fayetteville. I'm not sure what parts of the city they service. Maybe they city should look into making them they electricity provider for city run buildings if that's possible. I admit I really don't know how that works. If say a neighborhood or such wanted to switch to Ozark Electric could they?

I can't believe I would ever say this, but... where are the lawyers? Or maybe the case would be too weak.

I can't believe I would ever say this, but... where are the lawyers? Or maybe the case would be too weak.

I doubt there would even be a case. I think the argument would have to be more than "blocking natural beauty." I could see that being the case if Fayetteville had views of a national park or ocean. I think as long as the planned power poles don't pose any danger to anyone and don't infringe on the soil of anyone's personal property then there is no case.

I doubt there would even be a case. I think the argument would have to be more than "blocking natural beauty." I could see that being the case if Fayetteville had views of a national park or ocean. I think as long as the planned power poles don't pose any danger to anyone and don't infringe on the soil of anyone's personal property then there is no case.

Maybe there could be a case made for the construction of these poles causing real financial damage to businesses and residential projects nearby. Its likely it will hurt property values in a demonstrable way.

I think the only hope is that enough lawsuits can be filed that the costs of defending the utility construction in court would start to hurt the company or delay their project to the point that they would start to consider other options.

Maybe there could be a case made for the construction of these poles causing real financial damage to businesses and residential projects nearby. Its likely it will hurt property values in a demonstrable way.

I think the only hope is that enough lawsuits can be filed that the costs of defending the utility construction in court would start to hurt the company or delay their project to the point that they would start to consider other options.

The bad thing is proving that. Would people stop going to Dickson because of these new poles? But yeah probably the only real way to try to stop them is the threat of lawsuits. Even if you didn't have a real strong case perhaps just the idea of potential lawsuits could persuade them to reconsider.

Looks like Arkansas will be making it even easier for utilities to do what they want. The Arkansas Public Service Commission can't be bothered for this kind of stuff apparently so they're making it so that it reduces the chances of public comment on something like this. So it looks to me Fayetteville's chances of fighting this is getting slimmer and slimmer. Thanks APSC, maybe we need to reduce our tax dollars to your agency while we're at it.

The bad thing is proving that. Would people stop going to Dickson because of these new poles? But yeah probably the only real way to try to stop them is the threat of lawsuits. Even if you didn't have a real strong case perhaps just the idea of potential lawsuits could persuade them to reconsider.

I think you could demonstrate an impact (or claim one) on the new residential properties nearby. Other than that I have no idea.

Well just to switch gears here. The first Fulbright Concerto Competition is coming up next week. It will be a biannual event at the Walton Arts Center. When the idea first came up they had hoped to get people around the state and maybe get a few people from the east and west coasts. Turns out 130 people have applied from 28 countries. The winner gets $5,000 which doesn't stand out too much, but also part of the prize is a 7 recital concert tour consisting of Fayetteville, Little Rock, Chicago, Germany and the Netherlands. Sounds pretty interesting to me. I really hope this catches on. The finals will be next Saturday, tickets are $35-$45. But sounds like the other days leading up to the finals are free.

Well just to switch gears here. The first Fulbright Concerto Competition is coming up next week. It will be a biannual event at the Walton Arts Center. When the idea first came up they had hoped to get people around the state and maybe get a few people from the east and west coasts. Turns out 130 people have applied from 28 countries. The winner gets $5,000 which doesn't stand out too much, but also part of the prize is a 7 recital concert tour consisting of Fayetteville, Little Rock, Chicago, Germany and the Netherlands. Sounds pretty interesting to me. I really hope this catches on. The finals will be next Saturday, tickets are $35-$45. But sounds like the other days leading up to the finals are free.

Wow- this would be neat if it became something like the Van Cliburn Piano Competition at Fort Worth. It would be a major cultural attraction and tourist draw. It could also be an impetus for an expanded WAC on Dickson in Fayetteville.

Wow- this would be neat if it became something like the Van Cliburn Piano Competition at Fort Worth. It would be a major cultural attraction and tourist draw. It could also be an impetus for an expanded WAC on Dickson in Fayetteville.

I agree. I'm really glad this very first competition seems to have gotten quite a bit of attention.

Did anyone else read this article this morning in the NWATimes: Morale matters: Mayor concerned about staff following proposed change

This is what irks me about Fayetteville, as seen from the article. (1) The fact that the city councilmen are, in whole, nearly disfunctional, (2) the way the city councilmen don't follow their own land use/development/transportation plans, (3) the environment of Fayetteville which discourage other talented and qualified planners/engineers, and (4) the fact that Coody won't do squat, or at least publicly so, to remedy this problem, because IMO he's soft. The problem of the city council not following their own approved policy.

This is why I would never consider working for the City of Fayetteville. I imagine it would be very frustrating at times, slightly frustrating the rest of the time.

Did anyone else read this article this morning in the NWATimes: Morale matters: Mayor concerned about staff following proposed change

This is what irks me about Fayetteville, as seen from the article. (1) The fact that the city councilmen are, in whole, nearly disfunctional, (2) the way the city councilmen don't follow their own land use/development/transportation plans, (3) the environment of Fayetteville which discourage other talented and qualified planners/engineers, and (4) the fact that Coody won't do squat, or at least publicly so, to remedy this problem, because IMO he's soft. The problem of the city council not following their own approved policy.

This is why I would never consider working for the City of Fayetteville. I imagine it would be very frustrating at times, slightly frustrating the rest of the time.

I hadn't seen that article. I knew the basics but that really revealed a lot of detail. It seems to me Fayetteville is being divided up into a couple if not several different camps. I think overall there are more people who want to follow the 2025 Plan. But I think the biggest problem is that there's a group of well established residents who have lived here most their lives and don't like change. They are resisting all of this and even though they are in the minority they are well established and their opinions seem to matter more to a number of city officials. I don't think I'd describe Coody as soft. I think it's back to the problem that many of these residents resistant to change are rather influential. I think he's hesitant to piss them off too much. A lot of people don't like change and well there's been a lot of that going around. If things had been going at a slower pace maybe some of these people wouldn't feel so 'threatened'.

I agree with you except #4.

Coody really can't do anything to remedy this problem. The city government has to approve every development. Its the way it goes...

I think this article is his version of doing something about it, by more or less calling the city council members out in the newspaper.

I'm sure all of them will see it or hear about it.

Its sad how myopic some of these decision makers seem to be, and even sadder, how poorly some of them seem to understand urban planning and design.

I agree with you except #4.

Coody really can't do anything to remedy this problem. The city government has to approve every development. Its the way it goes...

I think this article is his version of doing something about it, by more or less calling the city council members out in the newspaper.

I'm sure all of them will see it or hear about it.

Its sad how myopic some of these decision makers seem to be, and even sadder, how poorly some of them seem to understand urban planning and design.

I'm not the least bit educated on what relationship the mayor has with the city council as defined by law, but I've never seen anything to make me feel that Coody doesn't do a good job. I think we could all come up with some factors influencing our cities dysfunctionality. Obviously some citizen groups are very adamant about a few things. NIMBY issues are always a little unreasonable, but necessary. The skills and abilities of some council members to make progress have to be proven, but must represent constituents accordingly with their conscience. Our development environment in this country, and subsequently this region, lends to sprawling and tasteless design elements (in respect to poor architecture, lack of community improvement, greed-based cost efficiency, non-quality building materials, non-environmental development techniques). Our area is definitely Dallas-influenced (direct or indirect) and Wal-mart style-influenced, which doesn't help things to get passed easily in this city which is not as interested in those styles. I don't want us to be looking like we're anti-development either, but we have developer styles, citizens, and council members to point our fingers at. If there is a wa to get the community on board with the Master Plan and committed to it we can maybe see some dysfunctionality disappear.

On the other hand, I'm very proud to be in an opinionated city and a free speech environment and welcome all of these difficult issues to think through and learn from.

I'm not the least bit educated on what relationship the mayor has with the city council as defined by law, but I've never seen anything to make me feel that Coody doesn't do a good job. I think we could all come up with some factors influencing our cities dysfunctionality. Obviously some citizen groups are very adamant about a few things. NIMBY issues are always a little unreasonable, but necessary. The skills and abilities of some council members to make progress have to be proven, but must represent constituents accordingly with their conscience. Our development environment in this country, and subsequently this region, lends to sprawling and tasteless design elements (in respect to poor architecture, lack of community improvement, greed-based cost efficiency, non-quality building materials, non-environmental development techniques). Our area is definitely Dallas-influenced (direct or indirect) and Wal-mart style-influenced, which doesn't help things to get passed easily in this city which is not as interested in those styles. I don't want us to be looking like we're anti-development either, but we have developer styles, citizens, and council members to point our fingers at. If there is a wa to get the community on board with the Master Plan and committed to it we can maybe see some dysfunctionality disappear.

On the other hand, I'm very proud to be in an opinionated city and a free speech environment and welcome all of these difficult issues to think through and learn from.

I agree with you 100%. Everything you wrote is true. Thanks.

Was it overkill?

I hate to post on top of myself, but there was an interesting, related editorial in the newspaper about descending views on Coody's leadership. Excuse me if it is mute because of many similar editorials. I don't read them so often but should. Hurricane Fran: Coody Sucks

I apologize for the title, Fran, just seemed fun. Summary is Fran is a environmentalist/small-town preservationist. Change is inevitable is my reaction, and I wish the environment could be preserved and can't sometimes I guess. This isn't heaven.