Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

From the bar owners I've talked to, they say it's just not feasable to run a bar simply as a music venue these days. Customers on Dickson Street have basically gotten out of the habit of paying a cover charge to see live music which makes it impossible for many places to bring in even local bands. Basically they say that the money they make comes from beer and liquor and that live music and the associated cover charges would chase off a large number of their customers. Also they say that the high price of leasing property makes it nearly impossible to pay for a large enough space to have a really good live music venue.

It's an interesting viewpoint. Juanita's has continued to do well in Little Rock and lesser venues like Whitewater Tavern and Cajun's have remained busy while Fayetteville live music refugees opened Sticky Fingerz in the River Market (which was a raging success) and now they've opened up Rumba/Revolution. Rents in the River Market are probably as high or higher than Dickson but they've managed to do well. I can't imagine that a place with the vibe and quality of acts that Sticky Fingerz has wouldn't do well on Dickson.

On Dickson, that info about Chester is awesome. I never knew that personally, but I love that kind of Fayetteville history. There is a performer, Bob Wist (anyone know him?) and he's a childhood friend of one of my dad's closest buddies.. Anyway, he plays a lot of sort of regional music. Regional in the sense that it refers to fayettville and "old schuler town" etc. I just sat and cried when I heard him sing those songs. I'm a huge sap about Fayetteville history of any kind. I really want to find more cool facts like this about Chester. Thanks for that. i'm going to go do research so i can share that with my friends.

I'm kind surprised to hear about Fayetteville's lack of live music.

In the early to mid 90s, Fayetteville had an awesome local music scene. In 1996, I remember purchasing a local compilation CD with 14 different bands featured, most of which I had seen at least a few times.

I think it began with the demise of JR's Ballroom. Dave's was a cheap immitation that brought in mostly cover bands. I saw Fuel, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Local H, and a few other nationally recognized bands at JR's Ballroom. There are tons of other local, regional, and national acts that nobody ever heard of that I saw at JR's Ballroom.

Rising rents have forced many of the old standby venues to change hands and/ or change formulas, get cheaper, and pack in more people in order to pay the rents.

Its a shame.

Perhaps the Mill District or even College Ave can revive some of that old behemian spirit.

In the early to mid 90s, Fayetteville had an awesome local music scene. In 1996, I remember purchasing a local compilation CD with 14 different bands featured, most of which I had seen at least a few times.

I think it began with the demise of JR's Ballroom. Dave's was a cheap immitation that brought in mostly cover bands. I saw Fuel, Cherry Poppin Daddies, Local H, and a few other nationally recognized bands at JR's Ballroom. There are tons of other local, regional, and national acts that nobody ever heard of that I saw at JR's Ballroom.

Rising rents have forced many of the old standby venues to change hands and/ or change formulas, get cheaper, and pack in more people in order to pay the rents.

Its a shame.

Perhaps the Mill District or even College Ave can revive some of that old behemian spirit.

The people that ran JR's and got all those acts moved to Little Rock and started Sticky Fingerz and Rumba/Revolution. That's why those places succeeded, they knew what they were doing.

Its a shame.

Actually, I think the decline in the local music scene began with the closure of the music hall Chris "Clunk" used to run on College. And when JR's turned into the "mangerine," it drove the nail in the coffin. Both JR's and Clunk's drew a lot of cool bands that were popular nationally on college radio. I saw Modest Mouse twice at Clunk's and many other indie stars at JR's. There's definitely a demand for this sort of scene in town, but, like you all have said, there's not really a good venue for it. I know that a couple of folks host bands in the basements of their houses. In fact, Chris Denny (a Little Rock favorite) and another local band whose name I can't think of at the moment played at one of these places last night. Apparently, there's a pretty good vibe going with these house shows; I hope to go check one out soon.

The people that ran JR's and got all those acts moved to Little Rock and started Sticky Fingerz and Rumba/Revolution. That's why those places succeeded, they knew what they were doing.

Chris King has great connections nationally.

Amazingly, I had never equated the shift from NWA to LR with the move of this one person.

Damn you, Benton Bandy's wife.

<_<

Actually, I think the decline in the local music scene began with the closure of the music hall Chris "Clunk" used to run on College. And when JR's turned into the "mangerine," it drove the nail in the coffin. Both JR's and Clunk's drew a lot of cool bands that were popular nationally on college radio. I saw Modest Mouse twice at Clunk's and many other indie stars at JR's. There's definitely a demand for this sort of scene in town, but, like you all have said, there's not really a good venue for it. I know that a couple of folks host bands in the basements of their houses. In fact, Chris Denny (a Little Rock favorite) and another local band whose name I can't think of at the moment played at one of these places last night. Apparently, there's a pretty good vibe going with these house shows; I hope to go check one out soon.

I think you hit the nail on the head. When Clunk closed (not the store... which, BTW, didn't he close that too recently?), where were bands like Modest Mouse, Paper Chase, Pedro, TGUK, etc. going to go.

BTW, I didn't know Modest Mouse played in Fayetteville twice (must've been before I heard of them)... I regret not seeing them the last time they came to Fayetteville. Oh well

The Music Hall is still there behind Hunan Manor, does great business, and is owned by jeremy, my band plays there all the time, and it pisses me off that there arent any other all age venues in NWA, the only other one was the Wazoo but it shut down because a narrow minded preacher cut off the renter because of the music that was being played, as far as the all age scene, its extremely strong. NWA could support atleast 4 all age venues, one in each city, instead kids rent out wharehouses, throw parties and book shows, we even rented out a field and held a huge metal show, playing bars is ok, but it gets realy lame after a while becuase most of those people are there to drink, at all age venues, the kids are there to see the bands, and only the bands, theres no social status, no dresscode, no achohol, and no drunkin idiots. And believe it or not, theres a handfull of bands that have been signed and are on tour that are right out of fayetteville and are making some good money, mine band is soon to become one of them once we finish or agreement with the labels, but everything that ive been talking about is considered the underground music scene with musical genres such as: ska, indie, acoustic, punk, emo, alt rock, hardcore, metal, rap, and many many others. Fayetteville has a terrific music scene, alot of big names were here on October 3rd at the Tyson Track Center, and the week of Bikes Blues, and BBQ, during Ride and Boogie, Not to mention all of the Rap groups that come through here all the time and all of the HUGE Underground Metal and Hardcore shows, our all age scene is better than Tulsa's and Little Rock's by far.

Edited by edensfall

totally. i was just thinking this morning about the ES Folk Festival this weekend and why is that never us? why can't we have a real blues event, or a real bluegrass event? i know eureka is just made for festivals because of the freakishly large ratio of places to stay, but this town can handle it too. people could stay all over nwa. i really would be all for having some music festivals. Lord knows there's plenty of folks that would come. my friend that owns Greenhouse Grille actually was the person who put together and produced the Great Unknown Music Festival here for the past five years. It's done, however, so I hope someone else picks up where he left off. it could be a great way to spark interest to get these venues designed and built.

totally. i was just thinking this morning about the ES Folk Festival this weekend and why is that never us? why can't we have a real blues event, or a real bluegrass event? i know eureka is just made for festivals because of the freakishly large ratio of places to stay, but this town can handle it too. people could stay all over nwa. i really would be all for having some music festivals. Lord knows there's plenty of folks that would come. my friend that owns Greenhouse Grille actually was the person who put together and produced the Great Unknown Music Festival here for the past five years. It's done, however, so I hope someone else picks up where he left off. it could be a great way to spark interest to get these venues designed and built.

I think things like Springfest, etc are mainly attended by locals from Fayetteville/Springdale. If we got a regional event like a folk fest or blues fest, we could support it, and have plenty of hotel rooms left for the out of towners.

I have always wondered the same thing. We need a real cultural festival in Fayetteville.

I'm all for BBBBQ, but it caters to a specialized segment of the population, and mainly out of towners.

Springfest has broader appeal, but its kind of a generic, no theme-fest.

I would like to see an Oktoberfest, Irish Festival, etc... Or a Bluegrass or folk music festival here.

You know, Mountain View's Folk Festival used to kind of incorporate the Irish theme in with the folk music stuff too. that was cool because most people from these parts are of Irish descent. I think Oktoberfest would be a great idea too. Lots of good places to set up a big tent area with beer and tables. Someone get on that!

It's funny (and sad) that many people these days don't even know the story of the infamous, toy gun toting 'Crazy Chester' that used to roam Dickson Street back in the 50's and 60's and was immortalized in one of the most famous rock songs of all time: 'The Weight' by The Band. (As the lyrics go: 'Crazy Chester followed me and he caught me in a fog........') The Band's Levon Helm is a Springdale native who used to frequent and play all of the old haunts along Dickson Street, often times with other members of The Band.

We sang that song for Folk Music class. I was really surprised about the history there.

You know, Mountain View's Folk Festival used to kind of incorporate the Irish theme in with the folk music stuff too. that was cool because most people from these parts are of Irish descent. I think Oktoberfest would be a great idea too. Lots of good places to set up a big tent area with beer and tables. Someone get on that!

There's suppose to be an Oktoberfest on Dickson sometime this year. I remember hearing about it in the paper, because they were making a big deal out of it by calling it the first annual Oktoberfest.

I agree, Eureka even has a Jazz festival. It just seems like we could support something like that as well. I guess I like the idea of being able to focus on a particular style of music. But like you said I think having some festivals like this could help spark more interest and help get some other things going.

Not sure if that would be particularly something for me personally, but I'd still support having something like this. I was also curious what other styles of music everyone would like to see in a festival. I've seen bluegrass mentioned so I'll assume that's one.

Yes, Downtown Fayetteville will be the true urban center of NWA. Downtown Bentonville will be an urban market on the fringe of becoming great. Western Rogers will be the upper-class, high profile suburbia center of NWA. Northern Fayetteville will become another suburban center. Centerton, Bentonville, and S.W. Rogers will become cookie-cutter sprawl centers.

Yes, Downtown Fayetteville will be the true urban center of NWA. Downtown Bentonville will be an urban market on the fringe of becoming great. Western Rogers will be the upper-class, high profile suburbia center of NWA. Northern Fayetteville will become another suburban center. Centerton, Bentonville, and S.W. Rogers will become cookie-cutter sprawl centers.

Agreed. Let me add that Goshen will become the affluent rural area.