IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

having taken the day off thanks to the Kent County medical epidemic, I stopped with my 2 children in hand and politely asked a hard-hat what they were building. He first said "2 buildings" (how very insightful - gee, thanks pal). I then asked what type of development, to which he said "condos." He actually elaborated and said "we're just getting started." Being the master of the obvious, I quickly concluded that this guy was far from the project manager...

lol

BTW, the escalator in the Amtrak station has been boarded in anticipation of repair/replacement. Other than that, the sad state of the station in general is still pretty bad. The foliage around the stairwells on the south side of the station leading down to the parking garage is packed with trash. It would literally take a hour or two tops to go around this place and at least pick up the garbage thats been there for what is obviously years...

ARGH!!!

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
having taken the day off thanks to the Kent County medical epidemic, I stopped with my 2 children in hand and politely asked a hard-hat what they were building. He first said "2 buildings" (how very insightful - gee, thanks pal). I then asked what type of development, to which he said "condos." He actually elaborated and said "we're just getting started." Being the master of the obvious, I quickly concluded that this guy was far from the project manager...

lol

BTW, the escalator in the Amtrak station has been boarded in anticipation of repair/replacement. Other than that, the sad state of the station in general is still pretty bad. The foliage around the stairwells on the south side of the station leading down to the parking garage is packed with trash. It would literally take a hour or two tops to go around this place and at least pick up the garbage thats been there for what is obviously years...

ARGH!!!

Interesting. If this were the case wouldn't you excpect some excavation, and addition to the soil (crushed stone, stone dust, sand etc...) to change the composition of the soil, before compaction. Why compact the soil with its existing make-up if the concern is the water table?

An article in the East Side Monthly Magazine(January 2007)states that after a very long delay, Boston developer Bob Roth finally has his financial package completed and the Canal Street project can officially begin.

The four story buildings, which will run along the street from Smith Street towards Park Row will initially be apartment rentals.

The article also states that the relatively low height of the buildings will help create a visual transition from the East Side to downtown.

A brick walkway is planned to compliment the park(Roger Williams National Memorial Park)across the street.

According to the article first shovel goes into the ground this month and building starts earnestly in the Spring with an estimated completion towards the end of the year.

I am happy to hear that this project is officially beginning but more excited about the prospect of the riverwalk being extended(which I believe was part of the agreement between the developers with the city of Providence). This part of the river is an absolute eyesore.

Hopefully the riverwalk extension will include a Waterfire extension as well.

An article in the East Side Monthly Magazine(January 2007)states that after a very long delay, Boston developer Bob Roth finally has his financial package completed and the Canal Street project can officially begin.

The four story buildings, which will run along the street from Smith Street towards Park Row will initially be apartment rentals.

The article also states that the relatively low height of the buildings will help create a visual transition from the East Side to downtown.

A brick walkway is planned to compliment the park(Roger Williams National Memorial Park)across the street.

According to the article first shovel goes into the ground this month and building starts earnestly in the Spring with an estimated completion towards the end of the year.

I am happy to hear that this project is officially beginning but more excited about the prospect of the riverwalk being extended(which I believe was part of the agreement between the developers with the city of Providence). This part of the river is an absolute eyesore.

Thanks Recchia. Looking at that Journal overhead, it really does reinforce that after Capitol Cove, the last frontier for development to really finish the infill of Capitol Center is really that vast Citizen's parking lot and Parcel 12...

The waiting continues...

- Garris

I really don't like "Capitol Court." Finance Way should be extended straight through the parcel to Canal Street. Capitol Court is just another off center street that continues to reinforce that Capital Center has no proper street grid.

I know where the walkway itself goes. I think for most people it's pretty clear I'm replying to this question:

I think that would have been obvious from the fact that I quoted the question in my post. And I'd personally rather hear what his idea actually is than dismiss it out of hand.

Archived