IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had it for a while (the title). If the ability to think critically, is a bad thing, sorry. I guess I'm just sick of seeing novice "businessmen", touting all this residential development as progress, especially with relatively low real population growth. All these units will kill rents in Providence, which I guess will be a net positive for the area, but increased infrastructure costs, could be a huge killer for future budgets, and any "property tax relief" going forward.

Oh and when I said Grants Block would turn into a surface lot, I was told I didn't get it.

Pete, what is your ideal alternative scenario? Rather than the constant criticism (and I do recognize the validity of many of your points), what would you prefer to see in Providence? Would you prefer that we turn the clock back a few years?

Oh, I'm no business man.. I'm just a guy with a system.. When someone tells you what you have been doing for years didn't happen, and his father did the same... I guess that might irk me a little bit.. Like a kid who reads an article and goes to school the next day as an instant expert, if that makes sense..

And don't tone it down for me.. I love the angst.. Like boating to the rich folks from Wedding Crashers..

That sounds like a procedure to compact the soil in order to improve its bearing capacity and stability.

It's highly unlikely they'd go to that trouble for a parking lot - but necessary for a concrete slab on grade for the first floor of a building especially if the soil has a lot of organic material, clay, or other mild instabilities - which is logical since it's on a riverbank. If it was very unstable they'd replace the soil altogether or use piers.

Also given the probability of a very high water table it makes sense that there's no basement planned, and it also makes sense that they'd do the compaction before trenching for footings since they'd risk damaging the footings if they did it afterward.

For those not convinced, the reason you would see compaction for a building and not a parking lot is that for a building, you have inspectors, engineers, architects, and testing agents all enforcing the codes that mandate it. If a parking lot is wobbly, it's just an inconvenience - it won't kill anyone like buildings do when they fall down unexpectedly- thus less likely a developer would pay for it.

That sounds like a procedure to compact the soil in order to improve its bearing capacity and stability.

It's highly unlikely they'd go to that trouble for a parking lot - but necessary for a concrete slab on grade for the first floor of a building especially if the soil has a lot of organic material, clay, or other mild instabilities - which is logical since it's on a riverbank. If it was very unstable they'd replace the soil altogether or use piers.

Also given the probability of a very high water table it makes sense that there's no basement planned, and it also makes sense that they'd do the compaction before trenching for footings since they'd risk damaging the footings if they did it afterward.

For those not convinced, the reason you would see compaction for a building and not a parking lot is that for a building, you have inspectors, engineers, architects, and testing agents all enforcing the codes that mandate it. If a parking lot is wobbly, it's just an inconvenience - it won't kill anyone like buildings do when they fall down unexpectedly- thus less likely a developer would pay for it.

Archived