Richmond Grocery Wars

whw53

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

It gets so much worse: There's a reason it's nicknamed Klanover

I have friends out there (Hanover, Mechanicsville, Ashland, etc.) in new developments for cheap prices. Idc to live in the suburbs so I will stay in the city but at one point we seriously entertained it but visiting out there during 2020 election I refused to raise my kid around that extreme hate stuff. Some areas are just stuck in the past and have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world. No thank you.

image.jpeg.038ff7a5abe31e34e146edef6127f385.jpeg spot on!!! On all points, @ancientcarpenter Couldn't have said it any better. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The fact that we still don't know the mystery grocer at Willow Place this long out now has almost swung me back around to Amazon Fresh for the sole reason they may never open. 

While Amazon opened a new Whole Foods in DC last week it's other Amazon branded retail chains seem to be losing momentum and or closing. 

They may be delaying or even reconsidering this site - I don't know. Somethings off about the secretiveness here - its not normal after work has already begun.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/another-amazon-go-time-seattle-has-closed

• Like 1

Saw someone on RVA Reddit a week or two ago say they heard it was going to be a Home Goods. That's both accurate and inaccurate. IIRC, Home Goods is going there, but not in the grocery store space (they're on opposite ends). My guess is you're right, @whw53, and the grocery piece is in limbo. But who really knows.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Like 1

I know I'm looking at this particular topic through a very long-distance lens - but it strikes me that this whole grocery-in-limbo situation has been going on for quite a while and not just at Willow Lawn. - aren't there at least one or two other locations (both suburban, I think) where there's space for a grocery store (either being built as part of a new project - or - existing space) where there's been speculation about who/what grocer is going in -- only to find that the space is STILL sitting vacant? Is this the case or am I misreading the tea leaves?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Brent114 said:

I liked that location.   It’s lame that they are closing before the housing even gets built out.  More customers are only a year away. 

Am guessing profit margins weren't meeting shareholder expectations - and the shareholders couldn't wait the extra year.

With he Walmart Market closing in Northside, I wonder if that will open up room for something new. The thing is most people living in Bellevue, Ginter Park, Seminary, Rosedale, etc. aren't shopping at Walmart Market. And for people who want the Walmart experience, the super center is only a mile farther from the city.

Currently living in Highland Park my options are really just Food Lion, college Kroger, or Whole Foods. That's the choice for pretty much everyone in Northside. That means I end up doing 90% of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods.

I wonder if Walmart's spot will be taken by something like a family-oriented Kroger. 

Though what I would prefer to see is something like a Publix so middle class families that live in Northside could have a choice that isn't between a Food Lion where you can't consistently find meat or vegetables you might want or Whole Foods which is much more pricey. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 6:11 AM, whw53 said:

This one is more surprising.

Lidl is closing their location at Green gate shopping center. This leaves the retailer without a location in Short Pump.

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-news/two-virginia-lidl-locations-closing-july-16/

Here's RBS' reporting on Lidl closing in Short Pump.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/07/10/grocery-chain-lidl-to-close-short-pump-store/

• 1 month later...

Woah. Aldi has entered the traditional supermarket category in a big way with the purchase of Winn-Dixie and Harvey's banners from Southeastern Grocers.  Yes, they plan to retain the banners and concept parallel to their Aldi discount brand. Over 400 locations. Could they try to push these banners or another traditional format north? Something to keep an eye on. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/phillempert/2023/08/16/aldi-enters-the-traditional-supermarket-business-why-its-a-smart-move/?sh=4fee16523a36

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3

Latest on Wegmans distribution center - c'mon toss this case. The plaintiffs hope to get this facility ruled an 'illegal building'. If someone at the county level needs to be penalized for what I can tell are trivial site entitlement approval process errors so be it. Or blame the then governor for the silly stay - at - home orders. IDC Just don't take this out on Wegmans who is following from this process and their 700 future workers. 

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/development/wegmans-hanover-brown-grove-ashland/article_01ff5682-412c-11ee-9da9-47053eddd4f9.html

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

No surprise here really , Wal-Mart still leading the grocery wars at 16% of the market. This is despite losing whw53 as a loyal patron of the now shuttered Brook Rd Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. -sigh-

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/walmart-wegmans-kroger-aldi/article_bd497d74-3b9a-11ee-8f31-5753c65df8be.html

Kroger in close 2nd  and Ahold Delhaize's Food Lion in 3rd with 15% and 14%  of the market respectively. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, Brent114 said:

Because I like how things fit together….

Here’s Soda Flats as seen from the Museum District….

29C5281C-B3FE-4B62-BB19-6538A5FC5FCD.jpeg

On 9/13/2023 at 7:28 PM, whw53 said:

No surprise here really , Wal-Mart still leading the grocery wars at 16% of the market. This is despite losing whw53 as a loyal patron of the now shuttered Brook Rd Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. -sigh-

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/walmart-wegmans-kroger-aldi/article_bd497d74-3b9a-11ee-8f31-5753c65df8be.html

Kroger in close 2nd  and Ahold Delhaize's Food Lion in 3rd with 15% and 14%  of the market respectively. 

I can understand why the more average joe type grocery stores are doing so well. I can’t even afford to eat or go to the grocery store as much anymore, it’s getting to the point where I can’t afford to live. Where living and breathing is unaffordable. I get mad every time I go to the grocery store or the gas station or get a bill in the mail. Everything too expensive for anyone to afford.  

• Like 2