Richmond Grocery Wars

whw53

On 9/16/2023 at 5:45 AM, Downtowner said:

I can understand why the more average joe type grocery stores are doing so well. I can’t even afford to eat or go to the grocery store as much anymore, it’s getting to the point where I can’t afford to live. Where living and breathing is unaffordable. I get mad every time I go to the grocery store or the gas station or get a bill in the mail. Everything too expensive for anyone to afford.  

I get even angrier when I read the quarterly financial reports that indicate the off-the-scale record profits some of these retailers are making and how they've planned their pricing models post-pandemic to take advantage of the overall price increases due to inflation. In a nutshell - it's classic price gouging - and it's absolutely shameful. Unfortunately, it appears that shareholders' accounts and company profit margins are their only consideration. The corporate "let them eat cake" mentality and the blatant profiteering on the backs of every-day Americans is utterly disgusting. Don't get me started.  image.jpeg.8f7d7ccd292cb8d1dd9ee3b58cac660f.jpeg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

It sucks, but to think they care about anything other than their shareholders means the marketing and PR is working. 

image.png.5e86b046be5d68dad97ba27b85673cc1.png!!!  Sad but so true.

Those of us old enough to remember the late, great George Carlin and his take on corporate America, advertising, marketing, sales, consumerism, etc., and their roles as "prime purveyors of 100% USDA Grade-A genuine B.S." (keeping it family-friendly - his choice of words was a tad stronger...). We certainly can recall what he said on the matter - and how spot on he was then. Every bit as true then as it is today. He gave no quarter when it came to dispensing his criticism. I miss that man.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Oh boy…they will probably have to repurpose these in the RVA area before they even become what they were just renovated to become!  Can you imagine tearing down basically new construction for whatever these spaces will eventually become?  Wowzers!

• 6 months later...

Jack Jacobs has reporting in today's RBS that it's looking increasingly likely that Whole Foods will be an anchor tenant in an updated version of a large retail project in Midlothian.

Atlanta-based SLC Ventures has filed a new site plan with Chesterfield County for the development at Midlothian Turnpike and Alverser Drive. The proposed grocery store - at 36K sq ft - is a bit smaller than what was in previously filed plans. Important nugget from Jack's reporting:

Anchoring the project is a grocery store that appears to be smaller and of a different brand than the initial plans. An April 2024 rendering of the center’s planned grocery store anchor refers to the user as an “organic food market” and has a different design than depicted in a previous elevation.

(SLC principal) Garrison declined to comment on the identity of the center’s anticipated grocery anchor. His firm SJC Ventures has developed other projects that feature grocery stores, and most of them are Whole Foods Market locations. He had also previously declined to name the grocery store planned as part of the originally approved project.

Whole Foods didn’t respond to a request for comment for this story.

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/10/developer-with-history-of-whole-foods-anchored-projects-tweaks-plans-for-midlothian-depot/

midlothian-depot-rendering-2024-1.png

midlothian-depot-grocery-store-2024-700x462.png

midlothian-depot-conceptual-plan-2024-1.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2