JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's this? Can anyone confirm the following:

I was told by someone that the JW has been privately offering certain individuals the opportunity to buy a hotel room almost like a timeshare. For example: If you are from Chicago but are here 3-4 times/month, you can buy in to a room. Or, you can purchase one for yourself without time sharing.

Does anyone know if this is true? My understanding is that they are trying to keep this quiet. I guess that it is easier to keep your rooms filled if people live there.

I was just in GR for a visit and walked around the riverfront both day and night. I was very impressed with the new "J.W". Nice addition to downtown. I also heard the Pistons will be playing the Denver Nuggets in GR at the Van Andel in October. Anyone know if the Nuggets will be staying at the JW? Just curious. :dontknow:

I saw the 12 on Friday at Celebration of the Grand. My friend and I were having a debate as to what side of the bar the restaurant was on. Well, it was a beautiful sight to see. I wish I could've seen the lights inside that I've seen on articles the media tour posted. That being said, I'm looking forward to trying out the 616.

I keep seeing Rockford Construction listing different stats from the building -- like, if laid end to end the metal studs would extend 17 miles. But the one that really stands out to me is they are claiming it took an estimated 150 million individual work hours. Using a conservative guess of $50/hour that would put the labor costs of the building at $7.5 billion.

Seems a bit pricey!

I keep seeing Rockford Construction listing different stats from the building -- like, if laid end to end the metal studs would extend 17 miles. But the one that really stands out to me is they are claiming it took an estimated 150 million individual work hours. Using a conservative guess of $50/hour that would put the labor costs of the building at $7.5 billion.

Seems a bit pricey!

I believe it's who's counting? ;-) And thanks for the correction, no offense to Grand Rapids, yes I am new here and I do love it here, but 616 just isn't as pretty as 314. (Though from Austin, I'm partial to St. Louis.) Really, I think aesthetically speaking, Six.One.Six is a MUCH better name. I'll have to look for the screen.

I believe it's who's counting? ;-) And thanks for the correction, no offense to Grand Rapids, yes I am new here and I do love it here, but 616 just isn't as pretty as 314. (Though from Austin, I'm partial to St. Louis.) Really, I think aesthetically speaking, Six.One.Six is a MUCH better name. I'll have to look for the screen.

So, after coming out of Z's last week about 1am I took a walk over to the JW and the new Flouride Sculpture. Breathtaking. So beautiful with the blue lights from the JW reflected on the water, and the sculpture is very fitting. Of course there were no people bustling around in the lobby, and the main lights were off, so the atmosphere was just amazing - the darkenss and the rush of the water with the dark blue of the lights. I highly recommend a quick night-time walk-by very soon to see it that way. People will be in there 24/7 byt the middle of the week. I am sure it will be great with lights on and all - but just a different POV.

"High end" is about right. Yesterday's piece in the Press about someone from Atlanta booking her wedding there knocked me off the couch. $55-60k for a freakin' wedding?!? Is she buying everyone's plane tickets??

Pulse letter sent ("please tell me there was a missing decimal point").

pict0016-1.jpgpict0017-1.jpg

So I'm over at the flouride sculpture, taking time exposures of the lovely sunset & cityscape, and then took a moment to study the round lights beneath the artwork (it's evidently in Braille). And Big Burly Security comes over to hustle me off the premises.

Did we know that this was on private property? So he claimed. (He also was unclear as to what day it was/is, and when the exact grand opening will be.) Meanwhile a parade of namebadged conventioneers strolled in and around and through that sidealk/handrail maze.

Not happy.

And the riverwalk is inaccessible from Pearl; there's quite a staircase.

So I'm over at the flouride sculpture, taking time exposures of the lovely sunset & cityscape, and then took a moment to study the round lights beneath the artwork (it's evidently in Braille). And Big Burly Security comes over to hustle me off the premises.

Did we know that this was on private property? So he claimed. (He also was unclear as to what day it was/is, and when the exact grand opening will be.) Meanwhile a parade of namebadged conventioneers strolled in and around and through that sidealk/handrail maze.

Not happy.

And the riverwalk is inaccessible from Pearl; there's quite a staircase.

Archived