JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a serious note, can anyone believe that the JW has made a lot of people feel elevated about Grand Rapids? Or, how its signalling a change in Grand Rapids society as being more interested in progress and increased awarness in culture? Is this just giddiness on christening day or of real substance?

I must say that from a historical perspective this reminds me of the time in GR history when the city hosted the Greater Grand Rapids Industrial Exposition in 1914. The exposition gave GR the opportunity to show itself to the world that it was sophisticated and with culture all the while promoting itself as a city of prominence. Kind of reminds me of history repeating itself.

Here's a blog entry from WZZM: http://www.wzzm13.com/morning_blog_article...x?storyid=81085

Rich Devos http://video.woodtv.com/?video_id=8380

On a serious note, can anyone believe that the JW has made a lot of people feel elevated about Grand Rapids? Or, how its signalling a change in Grand Rapids society as being more interested in progress and increased awarness in culture? Is this just giddiness on christening day or of real substance?

I must say that from a historical perspective this reminds me of the time in GR history when the city hosted the Greater Grand Rapids Industrial Exposition in 1914. The exposition gave GR the opportunity to show itself to the world that it was sophisticated and with culture all the while promoting itself as a city of prominence. Kind of reminds me of history repeating itself.

Here's a blog entry from WZZM: http://www.wzzm13.com/morning_blog_article...x?storyid=81085

Rich Devos http://video.woodtv.com/?video_id=8380

So I'm over at the flouride sculpture, taking time exposures of the lovely sunset & cityscape, and then took a moment to study the round lights beneath the artwork (it's evidently in Braille). And Big Burly Security comes over to hustle me off the premises.

Did we know that this was on private property? So he claimed. (He also was unclear as to what day it was/is, and when the exact grand opening will be.) Meanwhile a parade of namebadged conventioneers strolled in and around and through that sidealk/handrail maze.

Not happy.

And the riverwalk is inaccessible from Pearl; there's quite a staircase.

One of the beauties of the JW I'm liking more and more is how the building takes on a different look and feel depending on the conditions of the day. One a cold winter day the building looks like a giant piece of black granite. On a warm sunny day it looks more like water or a part of the sky. In this case at the time of this shoot, taken at about 9am this morning, the building took on the cool silky blues and warm yellows of today's ethereal looking morning.

1418797736_ae8a6b9966_o.jpg

To illustrate, here's a shot of the JW from my photo blitz taken mid day yesterday.

1415267954_15d7fd2215_o.jpg

I made it out to the JW on opening night. There was quite a crowd. The 6 of us that went wanted to get some appetizers from the six one six restaurant but were told they were only serving food to those with reservations. We couldn't even get food in the Mixology bar that is next door to the restaurant. A friend saw an acquantance while we were there who did have reservations for the restaurant. The guy told my friend it took 2 1/2 hours for them to get their food.mad.gif Neeless to say the guy was not happy. We got a couple drinks and headed to San Chez where we were happily served.

2 of the people we were with had a room that night on the 19th floor so we went up and checked it out. It reminded me a lot of the room I stayed in at the Minneapolis City Center Marriott. The bathroom was really nice and the carpet in the rooms thankfully was not so loud as the hallway carpet. One thing I will note though is the lack of mirrored windows or whatever they are called. The windows are just as transparent looking in as they are looking out. From the highway I can easily see into the rooms. whistling.gif We checked out the fitness area and pool area as well. Very nice. The pool is very small however. Just a medium length narrow pool with a slight curve - doubt the JW is intended for families with active kids though so it's probably perfectly suited. There was a nice hot tub and mens and womens steam rooms nearby also.

Sorry, no pics.

Libertarian:

I am sure that DeVos got where he did by making smart decisions. No dissing meant with that comment. I got where I am by making my own decisions (in debt...)

The purpose of the comment was to bring some reality to our expectation of what having a JW will mean. People looking to make reservation in GR will likely go "A JW in Grand Rapids? How did that happen?" vs: "A JW in Grand Rapids? Wow, what an urbane and significant place this Grand Rapids must be".

Libertarian:

I am sure that DeVos got where he did by making smart decisions. No dissing meant with that comment. I got where I am by making my own decisions (in debt...)

The purpose of the comment was to bring some reality to our expectation of what having a JW will mean. People looking to make reservation in GR will likely go "A JW in Grand Rapids? How did that happen?" vs: "A JW in Grand Rapids? Wow, what an urbane and significant place this Grand Rapids must be".

It would be foolish to place all hopes of the cities future on one Hotel. However if one looks back to the Amway Grand Hotel, one will note its impact in pointing DT in the direction that lead up to this point. I think the JW will have a similar impact to DT as the Amway Grand Plaza. Thus it will become another stepping stone to DT's continued success just as Van Andel Area, VAI, the new GRAM, etc.

One of the beauties of the JW I'm liking more and more is how the building takes on a different look and feel depending on the conditions of the day. One a cold winter day the building looks like a giant piece of black granite. On a warm sunny day it looks more like water or a part of the sky. In this case at the time of this shoot, taken at about 9am this morning, the building took on the cool silky blues and warm yellows of today's ethereal looking morning.

1418797736_ae8a6b9966_o.jpg

To illustrate, here's a shot of the JW from my photo blitz taken mid day yesterday.

1415267954_15d7fd2215_o.jpg

Archived