JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Six.One.Six (or is it six.one.six)? ;) is a really good restaurant. I had the best service and the most fun because the waiter was just serving us, I went at around 10 o'clock. Side note: I went to a party tonight and had so much fun and I am loving Grand Rapids even more after having been here for 3 almost 4 months now. I saw lots of East Hills tonight. And then we went to the six.one.six and got in right away since it was late and the food was good. They didn't have my yams but the waiter was so eager to substitute it. The chef I believe might've suggested fingerlings which I don't like. Potatoes that look like fingers creep me out and I had some at the Aria in the Fairmont in Chicago and I wasn't thrilled. So I suggested pumpkin risotto and I got a pumpkin mash. Which was good....just as good as mashed yams. I love how the chef listens to its customers. I love how the waiter is so accomodating. Try the pumpkin smash I think is the name. All the dishes are reasonably priced from 7-30(for an entree). It's a pretty small menu but you're bound to find something you like. Of course as they described it, food that's in season, etc. from locals but that represent the sister cities and it was just that. I had pork tenderloin with the apples and pumpkin mash(substitute for the yams). So good! Go to the six.one.six. And in the evenings, you might see an acquaintance of mine dj-ing. At least I heard he was there tonight so I went to go see. It's so cool!

Six.One.Six (or is it six.one.six)? ;) is a really good restaurant. I had the best service and the most fun because the waiter was just serving us, I went at around 10 o'clock. Side note: I went to a party tonight and had so much fun and I am loving Grand Rapids even more after having been here for 3 almost 4 months now. I saw lots of East Hills tonight. And then we went to the six.one.six and got in right away since it was late and the food was good. They didn't have my yams but the waiter was so eager to substitute it. The chef I believe might've suggested fingerlings which I don't like. Potatoes that look like fingers creep me out and I had some at the Aria in the Fairmont in Chicago and I wasn't thrilled. So I suggested pumpkin risotto and I got a pumpkin mash. Which was good....just as good as mashed yams. I love how the chef listens to its customers. I love how the waiter is so accomodating. Try the pumpkin smash I think is the name. All the dishes are reasonably priced from 7-30(for an entree). It's a pretty small menu but you're bound to find something you like. Of course as they described it, food that's in season, etc. from locals but that represent the sister cities and it was just that. I had pork tenderloin with the apples and pumpkin mash(substitute for the yams). So good! Go to the six.one.six. And in the evenings, you might see an acquaintance of mine dj-ing. At least I heard he was there tonight so I went to go see. It's so cool!

Got a chance to tour the JW the other day, and it is quite the property. I think the biggest impression made is from the finishing touches, like the furniture, artwork, trim, fixtures, electronics, and upholstery (love the carpet!). The staff there is awesome as well. The Founder's Suite is also quite impressive.

I didn't get a lot of shots of the hotel that had already been posted by dbrok and others, but got a few unseen vantage points. Here's a view of the plaza from what I believe is the tallest parking garage in town now:

1483282339_4addaad038_b.jpg

Blue Bridge and GVSU Eberhard:

1483285565_80c3bc3b1d_b.jpg

The Vertigo Atrium:

1484143066_600009c7d7_b.jpg

The West side looks good from this vantage point:

1484146268_1166edae34_b.jpg

Looking to the Northwest:

1483292839_f0494e8852_b.jpg

An amazing reflection, seen from the 23rd floor lounge:

1483298487_c626f75778_b.jpg

The GRAMd Opening tent with glair:

1485206188_fb2d114327_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Very cool seeing these. I guess I can't tell if what we got it better or not because the rendering doesn't have a lot of detail. I can say I like the side along Pearl better though, it looks like it integrates better with the surrounding city. Is that hotel portion the same number of stories as the one that was built?

Very cool seeing these. I guess I can't tell if what we got it better or not because the rendering doesn't have a lot of detail. I can say I like the side along Pearl better though, it looks like it integrates better with the surrounding city. Is that hotel portion the same number of stories as the one that was built?

That building doesn't really scream hotel for me - that building would be a perfect city hall though. That would also look pretty cool along market/fulton.

-sigh- sometimes the best designs don't finish last.

although - i have to say i still like the current jw marriott the best because of the views of the river - this rending doesn't have much of a "river view" per say.

Gosh, hate to be the one...but I really don't care for that rendering. It's too intrusive into the river. Already the Grand has been walled, dammed, rerouted, and manipulated to look like a big channel, and having that JW protrusion so close to the carousel pavilion at the museum would have really pinched the river further.

Sorry Snoogit, but I totally disagree. I think the current hotel turns its back on Pearl. The rendered hotel would have opened all the public spaces to the street. It would have been very exciting to walk by there and see all the activity rather than looking at an unused meeting room and parking deck.

Archived