SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I know inflation has to be tamed but dang - several high rise projects are now being delayed due to the rate environment (as per other UP’ers in the know).  Does anyone know if the Price’s Chicken Coop Tower is now delayed?

Delayed from what I hear.  It is high interest rates killing or delaying projects left and right.  Many are just delayed but it is a terrible financing environment right now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Pretty much everything except H&H Auto (Centrum), Southern Land Company, and everything that is currently under construction.

• Design Center phase 2 just got grading approval, but I'm not certain they have financing.

• Crescent indicated that its an all-or-nothing project, but it seems they actually might be making some headway on tenants.

• I don't expect the White Point Partners portion of the Ascent South End project to materialize this cycle.

• Legacy Union 5,6 and 7 are question marks for me as well, they seem to indicate they are moving forward, but not 100% sure.

• Highwoods made it sound like they were gearing up for their project at the ABC store, but its tenant driven, so I doubt it.

• Sterling Bay, Akridge, Cousins, Prices,  Delray, Vantage Hotel, Fallon, 110 East Phase 2, OmShera Hotel, Designer Center 3 all seem stalled

• Stalled in Charlotte usually just means it'll eventually get redeveloped, either as its current plan or a new one. I don't recall more than one or two projects over the years that haven't just materialized as something else eventually. That was Southhaus, which is now Long Animal Hospital, and The Citidan, which just became rehabbed older condos instead of two towers.

Do you know anything about what's happening at Tremont and Tryon?  All the single-story brick buildings have been demolished with the exception of the one bar at the other end of the block.  Is vertical construction imminent, or will this be South End paid surface lot parking?

Has anyone ever seen surface parking lots in core city centers ringed with tiny houses, a way to squeeze in residential and "frame" the streetscape while waiting on a much more intensive development down the road?

25 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Vertical Construction is imminent, but they have not yet gotten approval yet, its 285 apartments and 6,000 sq feet of retail, theres also almost half an acre of open space, not sure how that will be utilized and if it'll be public or not.m

Thanks so much.  By the way, Tremont all the way down to Toomey Avenue and then up Toomey to Wilmore Drive is just absolutely insane - I believe the area being branded as "The Quarter."  So much clustered housing and other potential uses, and all at once.  Appears to put even more of a spotlight on the remnants of Brookhill and what to do next.  We've not seen the Brookhill plans or any renderings, so unclear to me if anything stalled concerning that project - can anything stall if it never got moving in the first place?

On 7/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, CLT Development said:

Fín

SOUTH-END.jpg

This is excellent. So ridiculously impressive. Although, every time I see something like this I can't help but think about how odd the weird triangle of low-density SFH jutting out in the middle is (roughly bordered on two sides by Tryon and Summit Ave). It looks like it has basically bottlenecked the density in South End, narrowing it down to a very skinny width of just a few blocks around the intersection of Park and Camden. I wish we could somehow be developing into that space, but I understand that the people living there will not be fans. Sad.

Also, as someone else said, I wish 77 ran right alongside all this. I know freeways aren't great in urban centers but the view would have been so cool, extending for miles.

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

You can have low-rise density, and I suspect you'll see more and more of that in the areas adjacent to the high-rise "neck" of center city.  I'm a big fan of low-rise density as long as it's radically pedestrian-accessible.  High-rises filled with car-centric inhabitants/tenants can have deleterious collateral effects on in-town neighborhoods, not to mention the loss of LOCAL owner-occupants as plats are consolidated and held by outside institutional uses.

I very much agree. I think it would be great if we could theoretically replace the triangle I mentioned above with several dozen townhomes/row homes, some pedestrian-only 1-2 story retail mini-streets, and maybe one single taller office building. Doesn't have to all be high-density.

1 hour ago, Reverie39 said:

This is excellent. So ridiculously impressive. Although, every time I see something like this I can't help but think about how odd the weird triangle of low-density SFH jutting out in the middle is (roughly bordered on two sides by Tryon and Summit Ave). It looks like it has basically bottlenecked the density in South End, narrowing it down to a very skinny width of just a few blocks around the intersection of Park and Camden. I wish we could somehow be developing into that space, but I understand that the people living there will not be fans. Sad.

Also, as someone else said, I wish 77 ran right alongside all this. I know freeways aren't great in urban centers but the view would have been so cool, extending for miles.

The Triangle really is strange, but I can tell you there are quite a few people starting to assemble property on that side of Tryon now, especially around the Stop & Go (Stab & Grab) and Bojangles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

The Triangle really is strange, but I can tell you there are quite a few people starting to assemble property on that side of Tryon now, especially around the Stop & Go (Stab & Grab) and Bojangles. 

That's great to hear. I was noticing a couple lots like the Bojangles around there that could be prime for some redevelopment.