SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

19 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I'm kind of flummoxed by the "not everywhere needs retail" sentiment towards new development in Southend.  Like it or not, Southend is becoming the core of the city for entertainment, nightlife, and hopefully one day shopping.   If you want to create a cohesive district where people can do all of these things in a day, you need to make it dense and walkable.   The more buildings without retail, the more the retail will be forced to sprawl and become less desirable.  Sure, not every building in Southend needs retail, but there are also already plenty of buildings without it.  We don't need to keep building more.  Aren't you guys sick of telling out of towners that if they want to do some shopping they have to go to the mall?  

Also, these buildings being put up aren't temporary.  Charlotte is growing fast, and I think we are going to look at all these buildings in the not-to-distant future with a "thats a shame, a bar, shop, or restaurant would kill it there" attitude. 

It’s not codified into law that every project in south end needs retail.  If that’s what you want, advocate for a binding design requirement, but I personally don’t find a one-sided public fleecing on instagram to be either effective or fair.  

Had a convo with a consultant to developers who told me not every developer has the same experience securing financing for a mixed-use project that’s largely residential but includes retail.  The biggest developers with big portfolios can do it, but if you’re trying to create an eclectic landscape of developers, mixed use requirements do complicate financing somewhat and can work against smaller developers or “emerging developers.”  Not sure as I only spoke with one person and not at all an expert on project financing.

Ultimately I want south end to prioritize walkability, but I don’t think that means retail along every stretch.  Some retail, yes.  But leaving it up to private developers to determine what the market can bear at a point in time, as long as pedestrian space and safety are paramount.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

Yeah, private developers always know best.  Are there still grass fields a few blocks away from Trade/Tryon? 

Where has Development boomed in urban Charlotte? In the areas that the community and government invested in and had enough power to do what it needed to do. Where are the stagnant areas? Places where certain developers have too much land. Even with some government $$$, these Private Developers have proved incompetent when they hold large areas of land in Charlotte - primarily because they act in their own private interest. You think it was an accident Stonewall St. or 3rd Ward just randomly exploded in activity? When did these large-scale office towers start to come to SouthEnd? After the city invested in rail, the rail trail and not only that, but organizations such as Center City Partners worked in community engagement helping provide grants to small businesses, heavily promoting small business, the art installations along the rail trail, etc. That was all by design and a vision from community organizations, local civic involvement and government resources. 

spacer.png

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 4

On 5/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Yeah, private developers always know best.  Are there still grass fields a few blocks away from Trade/Tryon? 

Where has Development boomed in urban Charlotte? In the areas that the community and government invested in and had enough power to do what it needed to do. Where are the stagnant areas? Places where certain developers have too much land. Even with some government $$$, these Private Developers have proved incompetent when they hold large areas of land in Charlotte - primarily because they act in their own private interest. You think it was an accident Stonewall St. or 3rd Ward just randomly exploded in activity? When did these large-scale office towers start to come to SouthEnd? After the city invested in rail, the rail trail and not only that, but organizations such as Center City Partners worked in community engagement helping provide grants to small businesses, heavily promoting small business, the art installations along the rail trail, etc. That was all by design and a vision from community organizations, local civic involvement and government resources. 

spacer.png

So what are you advocating for?  A design committee for development?  A law mandating ground-level retail?   Who's incompetent - do you mean Levine or is that a broader, large-scale indictment of private developers in Charlotte?  Not sure there's a contest pitting private developers against the government, but I do know that in Charlotte, private developers are bound by certain governmental regulations but are also given a certain measure of discretion.  Away from accountability to government, however, most private developers are also "regulated" by their lenders and investors and financial models in use to persuade various stakeholders of expected returns on capital.

To tie this back, I think you can have pedestrian-scale and accessibility without ground-level retail mandates on every building.  I also don't find it responsible or sustainable to rebuke projects on instagram without perhaps getting the full picture of why a developer has chosen a particular mix of uses, and without understanding ways in which the project will service the pedestrian without asking them to eat or shop.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I can speak with significant experience on multi-family financing (years in banking arranging equity for apartments and now many more years investing in the debt of apartments as well as other property types) and I can say the very first thing a lender will do when they see a retail in a project is go (ok, if I just assume the retail doesn't generate any revenue, does this project still work?)  If the answer to that is "yes", then sure, ez-pz, if the answer is "no", then it's followed by a loud audible groan.

Not saying it can't be done, but depending on the size of the loan, the history of the borrower, the terms of the loan, etc etc the financing costs just might not be worth it, especially if the alternative is ground floor apartments where the lender is going to give full credit for projected revenues on those additional units.

Is it lazy?  Sure, I guess, but most lending decisions are made on stress testing of projected rents, and it's much easier to project say, apartment occupancy going from 95% to 85% in the complex and rents declining by 25% than it is to figure out if the ground-floor restaurant fails in a recession, what is the likelihood that a new tenant will chose to open a new concept there within a reasonable time frame.

As Charlotte urbanizes, and retail becomes more common (and therefore lender sample sizes of Charlotte urban retail trends  become more robust) the situation will probably improve.

OK, thank you.  Super insightful.  I imagine as market conditions change and areas mature as truly walkable and urban, one can retrofit ground floors for retail, with an easier time of financing the retrofit.

9 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

A different way of financing a project is the David Furman/Centro approach, which is the micro retail is the amenity AND generates cash flow as well.  This works in the sense that he has to capitalize more of the project with greater share of equity (and less debt), but he can generate higher equity returns because of less expensive building costs (smaller units and fewer amenities) and the realized cash flows will run higher than a debt lender would conservatively assume (high rents/sf but still affordable in the local market context, and believing the most micro-retail tenants will survive)

I don’t want to take us away from a very interesting discussion, but I want to ask, does anyone have a sense of how Furman’s micro-retail experiment is working? It appears to have been fully occupied for a while now, but when I am over there it feels like more stuff is closed than open. 

Occupancy suggests we could use more of this scale of retail, but I’ll bet others here know more than I do.

2 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I suspect as more buildings get built and more foot traffic comes, those micro retail spots will have more permanent tenants

Yes and like most of retail foot traffic matters and with offices filling back up with people it is good thing.  Plus 100s of new apartments nearby will help too. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Not trying to be funny here, but I just realized something.  I don’t think  I’m all that invested in more high-rises in South End.  What I really want are more complete streets and extreme versions of walkability/pedestrian-prioritization all over South End, and I’ve resigned myself to the idea  that I’ll only get complete streets once South End is full of more high-rises everywhere and driving there becomes a complete cluster-#!

If Tryon and South, West, Clanton & Remount could undergo complete street overhauls like yesterday, well that would be far more impactful construction than any new high-rise announcement…just for me personally.

Had a similar feeling near Commonwealth development in plaza-midwood one evening this weekend.  Concluded that the only problem with the commonwealth development were the continued enablement of speeders and pedestrian intimidators still zooming down Central!

All this density needs a complete streets, traffic-calming, pedestrian-prioritizing context, or I continue to feel quite detached from any supposed value.

The amount of critical mass created with commonwealth should naturally curb traffic, and should phase 3 of the gold line be completed (good luck) the transition from Clement should be awkward enough to almost halt traffic.

• Like 2