Soccer Stadium

GRDadof3

58 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I can imagine this being a fairly fast build?

Looking at comparable stadiums around the USL, 2 years seems like the average build time.  Hopefully it can be built by summer 2026 to take advantage of the World Cup buzz, maybe hosting watch party events. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whitemice said:

What does this mean?  The Bridge St district is right there.

A 1 block separation between Douglas and Bridge.  Wondering if the plan calls for an entrance on the north end with some type of buffer or small plaza to accommodate Bridge patrons coming/going. 

On 2/28/2024 at 10:53 AM, cstonesparty said:

reupping on this comment since the recent renderings show same metal cladding trend...  folks who were hoping for brick & ivy / old fashioned ballpark cues.  It's definitely not that!?url=http%3A%2F%2Fewscripps-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Ff6%2F6a%2F5d30fdd540e29676267d60549bc6%2F20240222-nw-corner-labeled-final.jpg

What I find interesting about this rendering which no one has commented on is that while there appears to be an event going on, there is still plenty of nearby apparently free on-street parking available.  I guess they must have the parking all figured out. 

Edited by walker
  • Haha 3

Couple of things I learned from the Planning Commission packet. 

1, There is seating all the way around. Only 4 rows behind the goals but will be interesting to see if they could expand that in the future.

2. The east building has aluminum cladding and some different mixes of materials, so I think it'll look a lot better than what I could see on the renderings

3. The video screen is pretty massive. 110' x 30'!

Can't tell if the "club" the the bar/restaurant on site that they had discussed being open on nights the stadium isn't in use?

Joe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

There is seating all the way around. Only 4 rows behind the goals

That's disappointing. The stadium atmosphere is definitely going to feel weird without a supporters section behind a goal. I was willing to accept it behind one goal if it looked like the stadium down in Louisville picture below.

image.png.56533774fd3efaee58a4cbe0ec56ae4a.png

Instead I fear it will feel like this monstrousty down in Rio Grande 

image.png.54043c1029dd68c147a447189b2d6255.png

• Like 1

I just wish we were doing this right and not just fast. I fear this will flop. Its like they dont want to invest the right amount to make a great place because they fear it wont work out, creating a self fulfilling prophecy. 
it looks like a somewhat nicer high school football stadium with a jumbotron (unless that gets value engineered out).

I am excited by the investment in this area and by the commitment to continuing to grow the sports culture in GR.  As someone who doesn’t watch a lot of soccer, I still appreciate the cultural significance it has in other parts of the world, and the country, and hope the same could be cultivated in our community with a little stimulant from a project like this.

Like others here, though, I have a gut feeling that the scope is off.  It seems that it’s in a perfectly dangerous place that’s not small enough to be practical and community-centric, but also not big enough to be a game changer or a prioritized investment for Grand Rapids’ future.  The size and aesthetic design, as proposed, seem too large/artificial to fit as an organic extension of the west side.  Too big to be a neighborhood staple that is “easily” maintained, used and shared.  At the same time, it’s too small and too narrowly focused if the intent is to become a sustainable pillar of Grand Rapids culture and a boon to the local economy.  I’d like to see a full commitment to one or the other.

I’m in the “go big or go home” camp on this one and would love to see a larger venue adaptable to all levels of soccer as well as marque high school football matchups and local college football games, and an outdoor Griffins game or two as an added bonus.  Maybe with the right design we really could woo the Michigan Panthers to the west side.  I’d hate to see the development of an underwhelming complex that is too expensive to maintain because of waning long-term interest due to its narrow scope and lack of ability to evolve.  Even if the pundits promise there will be other events besides a few months of soccer at some level.

If this is built out as proposed, I genuinely hope I’m wrong and that I’m one of thousands in the stands cheering on a professional GR soccer club on a Saturday for years to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herefortherumors said:

Like others here, though, I have a gut feeling that the scope is off.  It seems that it’s in a perfectly dangerous place that’s not small enough to be practical and community-centric, but also not big enough to be a game changer or a prioritized investment for Grand Rapids’ future.

I feel the same way.  I have no objections, and I am a bit more positive; I think it will do fine.  I can believe the economic return estimates,  .... sure.  This being paraded as "transformational"?  Nah.  The arena was transformational.  The amphitheater sits at the bottom of the [current]" transformational" spectrum for me; it is activating a new part of town - help the West Side doesn't need - and the inclusion of the river trail is important, IMO.  The river trail means that project is something which will be a benefit to residents day-to-day, regardless of events at the venue.  That qualification is in my definition of "transformational" at this point.

At this point in the city's evolution "transformational" is either a development of a previously unprecedented scale [1,000+ residential units] or a substantial investment in transportation infrastructure yielding a reliable high-frequency service.  I am doubtful anything else can now qualify for that label.  We are now in a time of incremental growth [incremental does not have to mean "slow"].

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gvsusean said:

it looks like a somewhat nicer high school football stadium with a jumbotron (unless that gets value engineered out).

The jumbotron is a major revenue generator. They'd take out one of the grandstands before they take out the jumbotron.

• Like 1

Being European I just get very particular about the design of soccer stadiums, but I am actually very excited for Grand Rapids to have a team again and will definitely follow the USL league a lot more closely this season (ESPN + and CBS.) I have been critical about the lack of seating behind the goals, mainly because that is my fav place to view games from, but the stadium and it's location has a lot of potential to succeed. 

I also feel like they can get creative with events to host at the stadium too, an outdoor Griffins game would be cool, maybe lacrosse, rugby, some local college or highschool soccer games? Just ideas to keep the stadium active for as much as possible. 

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 11:16 AM, walker said:

What I find interesting about this rendering which no one has commented on is that while there appears to be an event going on, there is still plenty of nearby apparently free on-street parking available.  I guess they must have the parking all figured out. 

Hi Walker:

Here's my spin on the rendering.  I think you will agree with me, the street will look like Monroe between the DeVos and City Hall.  Based on the shadows, the viewer is at the corner of Mt Vernon and Pearl St. looking NW.  I'm not sure what the side street to the left is but it must be the same wave of the magic wand that eliminated the Pearl St exit ramp. 

I hope the A/E is better at estimating that the new  city island at 1500 Scribner.

Edited by Raildude's dad

I guess I’m not really that concerned about the size. It’s USL, not MLS and we’re Grand Rapids, not Chicago. I’m sure the north and south ends will have room for expansion in the event that standing room only becomes the norm. Until then, though, this should fit our needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Based on the shadows, the viewer is at the corner of Mt Vernon and Pearl St. looking NW.  I'm not sure what the side street to the left is but it must be the same wave of the magic wand that eliminated the Pearl St exit ramp.

I think you are right.  Here's the description of the property from the earlier Crain's article:

The irregularly shaped project site is about 7.25 acres, according to the plans, from the west property line along Winter Avenue to the east property line along Mount Vernon Avenue, just west of US-131. 

There are at least three recent renderings floating around - each one different, particularly regarding the street layout:

r/grandrapids - SOCCER ARENA GR

soccer2.thumb.png.3fb7099535a3a3919d9b6d281ef1800e.png

soccer3.png.ee701d0735c9288e3157aa900258fd9b.png

I think they've got some work to do before they start building.

Edited by walker

Haven't they mentioned a few times that they are building this to be expandable?  I would think that would mean seating behind the goals, although it may be too close to the Y.  I'm not really a soccer fan, but I would probably go to a few games.  Bridge street and tailgating would make for a fun day.  The area will be busy and unfortunately there's no east/west way to access the site with it being between the river and RR.  I think we'll start to see a lot more density and blocks of sub-par mainly college rentals razed, which I'm all for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonesey said:

Haven't they mentioned a few times that they are building this to be expandable?  I would think that would mean seating behind the goals, although it may be too close to the Y.  I'm not really a soccer fan, but I would probably go to a few games.  Bridge street and tailgating would make for a fun day.  The area will be busy and unfortunately there's no east/west way to access the site with it being between the river and RR.  I think we'll start to see a lot more density and blocks of sub-par mainly college rentals razed, which I'm all for.

The problem that I have with their statement on expansion is the same thing they said when they built the arena. 

18 hours ago, Prankster said:

The problem that I have with their statement on expansion is the same thing they said when they built the arena. 

The arena was built for expansion. That's why it's a horseshoe with a weak southern facade. But that decision was made out of irrational 1990s exuberance.  GR is never getting an NHL team (barring half of Phoenix moving here for climate reasons or something).

8 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

The arena was built for expansion. That's why it's a horseshoe with a weak southern facade. But that decision was made out of irrational 1990s exuberance.  GR is never getting an NHL team (barring half of Phoenix moving here for climate reasons or something).

They originally thought it was a strong possibility. But the NHL went away with the regional sports model and embraced the national model (which is had mixed results to say the least)

On 2/29/2024 at 3:21 PM, jonrapley said:

That's disappointing. The stadium atmosphere is definitely going to feel weird without a supporters section behind a goal. I was willing to accept it behind one goal if it looked like the stadium down in Louisville picture below.

image.png.56533774fd3efaee58a4cbe0ec56ae4a.png

I've visited Louisville's stadium, not for a game, but for a half marathon and we finished into that plaza on the right side of the photo. I can't speak for soccer game days but the amount of space we had for the end of the race gives me hope for GR's stadium to have a plaza similar that can host events. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...